BBO Discussion Forums: BBF religious matrix - BBO Discussion Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBF religious matrix

Poll: BBF religious matrix (79 member(s) have cast votes)

I believe there is a God / Higher Being

1. Strongly believe (13 votes [16.46%])

Percentage of vote: 16.46%

2. Somewhat believe (7 votes [8.86%])

Percentage of vote: 8.86%

3. Ambivalent (8 votes [10.13%])

Percentage of vote: 10.13%

4. Somewhat disbelieve (11 votes [13.92%])

Percentage of vote: 13.92%

5. Strongly disbelieve (40 votes [50.63%])

Percentage of vote: 50.63%

My attitude toward those that do not share my views is

1. Supportive - I want there to be diversity on such matters (9 votes [9.28%])

Percentage of vote: 9.28%

2. Tolerant - I don't agree with them but they have the right to their own view (57 votes [58.76%])

Percentage of vote: 58.76%

3. No strong feeling either way (17 votes [17.53%])

Percentage of vote: 17.53%

4. Annoyed / Turned off - I tend to avoid being friends with people that do not share my views, and I avoid them in social settings (7 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. Infuriated - Not only do I not agree with them, but I feel that their POV is a source of some/many of the world's problems (7 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

Vote

#241 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-January-08, 06:04

I thought Scarabin meant that a God may or may not exist is a balanced way to look at this subject. Sounds like a balanced view to me...

Yes but a balanced view on all things that may or may not exist is not necessarily 'I think it is exactly 50% that it exists.' I think the probability that tomorrow the world will still exist is at least 99.999999%, while the probability of my grandmother's life as a secret agent for the CIA is less than 0.000001%. If I made a poll on these questions I would expect near-unanimous consensus. 'Strongly disbelieve' would be a balanced view.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#242 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-08, 06:12

Codo, on 2013-January-08, 05:44, said:

1. your source is a club which want s people to leave the church. Hardly very relevant, but anyway:

Sorry I couldn't be bothered to dig up dozens of independent sources and just took the first few I found. I have seen a lot of evidence in this general direction over the years but feel free to provide sources showing something else. In any case the ARD is not a club which wants people to leave the church.

2. Priest (and other employees of the church) do quite a lot for wellfare. Do you have a priest between your friends/relatives? You may ask him how much time he spends doing "wellfare" compared to the time doing "indoctrination". So even their payment is part of the wellfare structure.
3. How many atheists, muslims etc. are healed in christian hospitals? So what is the point in critisze that these hospitals are not payed by the churches?
4. How many nursing homes do you know, which are payed by the state, an insurance or someone else, but are just open for members of a special church? Zero..

Firstly, why do I criticize this state of affairs in general? Because I do not believe the state has any business providing free PR and opportunities for proselytization to the church.

Secondly, why did I bring this up at all? Because you claimed that the church has a positive effect on society. I'm saying that this is a lie - the church is a net loss for our society. The state could just as well spend all this money directly on welfare rather than funneling it through the church, and anything that remains is by far outweighed by the outrageous subsidies coming from the taxpayers. So my question remains - what is the claimed positive effect of the church?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#243 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 06:14

gwnn, on 2013-January-08, 06:04, said:

the probability of my grandmother's life as a secret agent for the CIA is less than 0.000001%. If I made a poll on these questions I would expect near-unanimous consensus.

Hm, I'm still undecided on your grandmother. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#244 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2013-January-08, 06:32

Codo, on 2013-January-08, 05:58, said:

I thought Scarabin meant that a God may or may not exist is a balanced way to look at this subject. Sounds like a balanced view to me...

So is the statement 'the theory of evolution may or may not be true' or 'the theory of gravity may or may not be true' or 'creationism may or may not be true' a balanced look at those concepts? Of course not - saying 'the theory may or may not be true' is completely absurd in all three cases. It's not a balanced view in any way. For another example, consider three claims being made by groups of people currently:

A) ~49% of UK residents self identify as religious (encompassing all major religions), with 51% identifying as no religion.

B) ~34% (approx, source CBS news) of Americans and 25% of the British think that 9/11 was an inside job performed by the US government.

C) A cabal of fruity conspiracy theorists think The US government is secretly controlled by a cabal of lizard aliens in human form, and you can tell who are the lizards by the colours of their eyes in flash photography. (These guys tried to take over the Occupy movement in Australia. It was pretty dang funny)

Obviously there is no tangible evidence to support any of these three position, so what separates A, B and C? Is it just sheer numbers? Is the position "Alien Lizards may or may not secretly control the US Government" a balanced way to look at that subject? Down this path lies madness. Just because people believe it doesn't mean it is true.

But on the other hand religions must be perfect from the first day of the neanderthal man. They are not allow to err, because if God is perfect, his servants on earth and the holy books must be perfect too? Why do you think so?
To err is human, not religious.

Many of them specifically claim they are inerrant. Both the Bible and the Koran (to cite two high profile examples) have large groups of adherents that claim that the word of god as contained therein is inerrant. In the context of both of them it is absurd as it is obvious how they were written within a specific cultural context, but the fact they are the perfect and inerrent word of god is the claim being made by the religious adherents. We think it is so, because that is the claim they have made!

#245 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-January-08, 06:42

32519, on 2013-January-08, 02:45, said:

The entire New Testament, excluding Luke and Acts, was written by Jews for Jews. To invent all these stories as you suggest would be completely laughable for the Jews of the day. They were the ones being healed of all sorts of diseases etc. When the non-Jews started accepting the New Testament message and writings, all sorts of corruptions of the original texts started creeping in. Non-Jews started adding/deleting/changing what was originally written. I have already mentioned two examples higher up in this thread. Here are some examples of the original texts being corrupted –

As I recall, the Epistle to the Galatians is part of the New Testament. The churchs that Paul established in Galatia where founded by converting pagans, not Jews.
In a similar vein, Corinthians is addressed to the Church in Corinth which was (largely) drawn from the Greek population, though there were some Jewish Christians present. Thessalonians was addressed to a church in Macedonia.

No one can agree who wrote Revelations, however, it is pretty doubtful that the author ever set foot in Palestine.

I readily grant that the transition from Judaism to Christianity was a long and labored process. The apostles and Paul of Tarsus were certainly Jewish. However, I don't think that it is reasonable to classify Greek and Celtic converts to the Church as "Jewish". They're drawn from a completely different cultural context. The whole reason that Paul had to keep sending letters was that the congregations were straying too far from home...
Alderaan delenda est

#246 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-January-08, 07:32

If anyone has the desire to start looking this stuff up for themselves, the translation I found to be closest to the original text is the New American Standard Bible (Updated Edition). So +1 for these guys. I have been digging into this stuff for some time now, comparing 20 different translations against each other and approximately 15 different Bible commentaries. But just take note: The NASB also contains plenty of the issues that I have been griping about here. I still have some way to go.

This is the website I am getting most of my information from http://bible.cc/ Coupled to this I have something called PC Study Bible distributed by BibleSoft.

#247 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-January-08, 07:47

32519, on 2013-January-08, 02:45, said:

You’ve just played your highest trump card, the Ace. This argument is the one sceptics just love because 2000 years down the line there is no way for the current generation to say whether or not the recorded miracles were invented or not. Guess what? There is a flaw in your argument.

The entire New Testament, excluding Luke and Acts, was written by Jews for Jews. To invent all these stories as you suggest would be completely laughable for the Jews of the day.

It is hard to know if you are joking or are serious as the claim is so far removed from facts as to be easily considered simply a poor attempt at writing historical fiction. To be clear, the populace of the first century, including the Jews, were mostly illiterate. Legend and fable were common.

Here, after the briefest of Google searches, is a quick list of first century Jewish miracle workers:

5. Jewish Miracle Workers contemporary to Jesus

a. Honi ha-Meaggel or Honi the circledrawer (first century BC)

b. Abba Hilkia, grandson of Honi (late first century BC, early first century AD)

c. Hanin ha-Nehba, grandson of Honi (late first century BC, early first century AD)

d. Hanina ben Dosa (first century AD)

e. Eleazar the Exorcist (first century AD)

f. Phineas ben Yair (mid-second century AD)

What is truly laughable is to attribute 21st century knowledge and information sources to first century denizens of the middle east.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#248 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-08, 07:51

Cthulhu D, on 2013-January-08, 06:32, said:

So is the statement 'the theory of evolution may or may not be true' or 'the theory of gravity may or may not be true' or 'creationism may or may not be true' a balanced look at those concepts? Of course not - saying 'the theory may or may not be true' is completely absurd in all three cases. It's not a balanced view in any way. For another example, consider three claims being made by groups of people currently:

A) ~49% of UK residents self identify as religious (encompassing all major religions), with 51% identifying as no religion.

B) ~34% (approx, source CBS news) of Americans and 25% of the British think that 9/11 was an inside job performed by the US government.

C) A cabal of fruity conspiracy theorists think The US government is secretly controlled by a cabal of lizard aliens in human form, and you can tell who are the lizards by the colours of their eyes in flash photography. (These guys tried to take over the Occupy movement in Australia. It was pretty dang funny)

Obviously there is no tangible evidence to support any of these three position, so what separates A, B and C? Is it just sheer numbers? Is the position "Alien Lizards may or may not secretly control the US Government" a balanced way to look at that subject? Down this path lies madness. Just because people believe it doesn't mean it is true.

Many of them specifically claim they are inerrant. Both the Bible and the Koran (to cite two high profile examples) have large groups of adherents that claim that the word of god as contained therein is inerrant. In the context of both of them it is absurd as it is obvious how they were written within a specific cultural context, but the fact they are the perfect and inerrent word of god is the claim being made by the religious adherents. We think it is so, because that is the claim they have made!

And I have been accused of mixing religions with science. :)

I honestly did not know that gravity or evolution are still just theories, but if you say so...

Anyway there is a big difference: We may or may not verify scientific theories.
Some real theories will stay theories forever, some will be approved. But at least we are hopeful that later generations will verify/falsify them. Same is true about conspiracy theories. It is in mans hand to get to know the truth. We do need no aliens to solve these problems.

Whether or not God (if he exists...) decides to show up and end the discussion is not in our hand. So we may believe what we want- we may call him Allah, Jehova, or the big spaghetti Monster...

And the Brits seem to share the "balanced" view as a group: About half of them identify as religious, the other half does not. Sounds quite balanced to me. (In Germany we have around 60 % christians and 33 % without a confession- but by far the fewest of this number seem to be real atheists...)

About the holy books: I know that there are much too many people who obviously cannot read the whole text and try to take the textes as literally as possible. I know otherwise really intelligent people who think this way. They are not open to any discussion about this theme. I have my problems with their point of view as much as you have it. However, here in Germany they are in a very small minority- I would guess less then 1 % of the christians.
Unluckily one of them is my sister...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#249 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 08:02

mikeh, on 2013-January-07, 21:30, said:

This post confuses 'Jew' with 'believer in Judaism'. It also confuses the 'traditions' of the 3 religions, which are in any event heterogenous, with the current trends of one minor branch of one of the faiths.

I have a hard time understanding that when I point out that I personally know 5 rabbis in one synagogue in Boston who are agnostic or atheist you counter by saying that they are not believers in Judaism. It's true I conflated the issue at the start of the post, but I addressed it in the next two sentences. It's also true that the modern "black hat Jews" are a new phenomena in Judaism--they are not "traditional Jews". The tradition is one where one of the most quoted ones in the Talmud is God telling the world, "I've created the world, here are some laws, I'm outta here...interpret the laws as you wish." Which is not completely unlike the definition of "Deist" discussed earlier in this thread.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#250 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2013-January-08, 08:05

Codo, on 2013-January-08, 07:51, said:

I honestly did not know that gravity or evolution are still just theories, but if you say so...

While the word "theory", in coloquial usage, may refer to ideas in need of validation, in scientific jargon it is used differently.

You probably never hear about the "theory" that 2+2=4. But that is not because we know that 2+2=4. It is just because it is too narrow to deserve the somewhat pompous label "theory". It would be more appropriate to talk about the "theory" that (A+B)(A-B)= A^2-B^2.

You can talk about Newton's theory of gravity or Newton's law of gravity. There is a subtle different between the two terms. I would say that the "Law" is the quantification of the phenomena while the "Theory" is more about what causes the phenomena, but probably one of the physicists here can explain it better. In any case, it is not necesarily so that a "Law" is less controversial than a "theory". "Operator theory" is 100% non-controversial while Hubble's Law and Moore's Law are probably seen as gross oversimplifications by many experts.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#251 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-January-08, 08:10

BunnyGo, on 2013-January-08, 08:02, said:

I have a hard time understanding that when I point out that I personally know 5 rabbis in one synagogue in Boston who are agnostic or atheist you counter by saying that they are not believers in Judaism.

I suspect that I am acquainted with the synagogue of which you speak...

I don't doubt that there are five agnostic rabbi's in it.
I also don't doubt that this synagogue is something of an outlier, even for Boston...
Alderaan delenda est

#252 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-January-08, 08:50

Vampyr, on 2013-January-08, 03:37, said:

What do you mean by the "main option"?

The one that triumps over the others when I need to apply one and they are in contradiction.

#253 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2013-January-08, 09:15

mgoetze, on 2013-January-08, 06:12, said:

Sorry I couldn't be bothered to dig up dozens of independent sources and just took the first few I found. I have seen a lot of evidence in this general direction over the years but feel free to provide sources showing something else. In any case the ARD is not a club which wants people to leave the church.

Firstly, why do I criticize this state of affairs in general? Because I do not believe the state has any business providing free PR and opportunities for proselytization to the church.

Secondly, why did I bring this up at all? Because you claimed that the church has a positive effect on society. I'm saying that this is a lie - the church is a net loss for our society. The state could just as well spend all this money directly on welfare rather than funneling it through the church, and anything that remains is by far outweighed by the outrageous subsidies coming from the taxpayers. So my question remains - what is the claimed positive effect of the church?

Lets agree to disagree - not just about the about the "facts" you stated. I still don't see your first source as more relaiable as the twitter account of the pope.
You claim that the churches have no positive effect, because you think that the money will be spend better in another way. Now this is hardly debatable. Is there any part of the german household where you may NOT discuss that at least a big amount of the money should be used different? I bet that there is non effective use and even waste of resources in any church. But again, what does this prove? That they are not perfect? Yes I agree.

You claim that you dislike PR and money for the churches. I do understand this. You are in a minority which does not benefit from the money which is spend for the main churches here. But who cares about your lonely voice in the dark? As long as you are in a minority, you are not able to change it, this is called democracy.

And btw do you have any evidence that great atheistic organizations work any better, more efficent then religious ones? I cannot find it.
Kind Regards

Roland

#254 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 09:17

helene_t, on 2013-January-08, 08:05, said:

You probably never hear about the "theory" that 2+2=4. But that is not because we know that 2+2=4. It is just because it is too narrow to deserve the somewhat pompous label "theory". It would be more appropriate to talk about the "theory" that (A+B)(A-B)= A^2-B^2.

Huh? These are not theories, they are tautologies.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#255 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 09:35

Codo, on 2013-January-08, 09:15, said:

But again, what does this prove?

You made the claim that

Codo, on 2013-January-07, 16:59, said:

religion has a positive factor on the society.

and cited

their efforts in supporting the weak, the old and the young

I am supporting the counterclaim that these "efforts" are not a positive effect of religion, rather they are actually projects run on state money, and furthermore, the church costs the state (and thus society) money above and beyond this purpose.

Codo, on 2013-January-08, 09:15, said:

You claim that you dislike PR and money for the churches. I do understand this. You are in a minority which does not benefit from the money which is spend for the main churches here. But who cares about your lonely voice in the dark? As long as you are in a minority, you are not able to change it, this is called democracy.

Yes, I am in a minority of 37.2% (as of 2010, trend strongly upwards). A lot of things are called democracy. In the USA, they will even let you vote for either party! Some people also include such subconcepts as "protection of the rights of minorities" in the concept of "democracy". Some people, even some theists, consider the separation of church and state a great accomplishment of the 19th and 20th century. Who knows, maybe we will get it in Germany as well, in the 21st or 22nd century...

But anyway, apparently you are not interested in backing up your statement that

religion has a positive factor on the society.

That's fine, you don't have to back it up, but I will continue to disbelieve it then.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#256 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2013-January-08, 10:49

Michael,

even your source states, that the churches here do something positive. They spend money, time and manpower for welfare. You critze that they should spend more of the money they get for this part of their work. Well I tried to show you that they do, but you seems to be unimpressed and not willing to ask some people who work there yourself. You seem to believe that priets do nothing then indoctrionation all day long. I bet that you did not attend religion at school, else you would know that this classes are not about christian religion but about tolerance and ethics. At least this it was was taught to my kids, maybe this is different in other school or other states. Shall I look for the curriculum?

Okay, fine to me, you can disbelieve whatever you want. But here you may even could have found facts if you had wanted to.

We do agree that the churches costs more money then they spend on welfare. But they spend much more then the 8 % your source statet and they have other duties too. You surely know that.

And no, you are NOT in a minority of 37,2 %. These are the numbers of non confessionals. By far the smallest part of these are real atheists. Maybe it is a minority of 5%? The latest number I got from Wikipedia had been 2 % world wide, but I bet that the number in Germany is significant higher- espacially in the new states. Maybe in the eastern part we have around 10 %? But I did not find any actual numbers- did you?

And I am quite fine with the way they handle democracy here. Far from perfect- like the churches- but much better then in any other place. Okay, that they stopped burning atheists two years ago, was a step in the wrong direction, but you cannot have it all...
Kind Regards

Roland

#257 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-08, 10:51

Codo, on 2013-January-08, 03:16, said:

What are you talking about? Is this part of ancient history or was this a way to talk about the current desaster around Israel?

And why aren't you able to name the countries which are civilized enough to abaondon religion?

It hasn't happened yet. But we can hope. As I have said many times, and as with just about everything I write this isn't original to me, religious belief made sense in the 99.99% of human experience when we had no effective understanding of the physical world. Give us time.

You may take some history lesson or simply look at Wikipedia. There had been a lot of reasons for the crusades and for the big wars in the Middle Ages. If you had been right, you should have been able to show that there had been no fights between catholic states, but you cannot. Man make war. But anyway, these times are long gone.

Do you actually read what others have said, and try to understand the arguments, or do you simply look for isolated passages to which you can object, provided you ignore the context? Try re-reading what I have said. Obviously human conflict is multi-factorial and obviously many wars have been fought for purposes other than religion. Does that mean that religion is not sometimes a major factor, or that it is not frequently enlisted by the warring states/nations/tribes to motivate their forces? Didn't most armies historically seek the blessing of religious figures before battle, or consecrate themselves to their god(s)?

And where is your logical chain to religion here? Death penalty is by no means a part of religion. As written before, China is the land with the biggest number of death penalties. You won't accuse them of being overly religious, will you?
And again, somewhere on this planet there are always people who kill for silly resons, even in Pakistan. Do you mind to tell me the religious reasons the killer in the US have, who just run into schools and kill some pupils? Surely you believe them that God send them?

Now you are betraying yourself. Who ever claimed that all killing was religiously motivated? Not only are you a proponent of the no true scotsman fallacy but now you resort to the cheapest, most despicable strawman argument as well. Do you REALLY think that I said that the school killer(s) around the world are motivated by religion???? REALLY???? If not, wtf are you trying to do by suggesting that I am?

As for the death penalty not being part of religion, you must be profoundly ignorant of aspects of religion that many atheists know without the need to even resort to google. I can't quote the verses without research but the OT contains very clear commandments to the effect that practicing homosexuals should be put to death, and that if a man sleeps with a woman and her mother, they all should be burned to death and so on.

Yes, I know: very few would follow Leviticus today, but that's one of my points. Many religious people are hypocrites because they pick and choose which parts of their holy texts to follow. Yes, there are all kinds of mental gymnastics that people like you go through to justify this to yourselves, but I suspect you have no idea how silly it all seems to an objective observer. It even gets people like you to deny that your religion contains any commands to kill!

Islam has its own commandments, and I have only a tiny knowledge of specifics from the Koran, so the only one I know of with some certainty is the requirement to kill apostates. Of course, we all know about fatwahs these days thanks to Rushdie....the fatwah against him was specifically issued by a very prominent and highly regarded religious figure. I'm sure you'll revert to the no true scotsman argument to say that such pronouncements don't reflect religious teachings either.

All your examples are quite old and some demonstably false. But anyway, we had been here before. People kill. If you ask them, they usually claim that they have a reason which is not for the personal advantage. They always tell you something about God, Honor, fame, race, state.

I'm sorry that religious mayhem is down recently, so I have only a limited number of current examples. But I have to laugh. You admit that some killers assert they are acting in furtherance of their religious belief, but you deny that religion plays a role in their actions. Clearly you know far more than they do about their motivations! No, the truth is that you have a fixed belief that religion is anti-killing and therefore anyone who claims to have killed for religious reasoning isn't really religious. You're a profound fool if you truly can't see where that logic is flawed.

If this killing would stop after reaching atheism, I would support your fight for it. But unluckily it does not. Some of the biggest mass murderer in history had no real connection to religion. Stalin Pol Pot or Mao f.e. just fought for their own power, not for a God.

They need to tell their troops about the benefits of communism, or about the cruelty of the enemy or they have to promise wealth. They used the same words to motivate their soldiers then any leader in history used. They claimed any given reason to justify their fight. Well any one but one. They did not murder in the name of God. But their victims are as countless as the victims of people who claim to fight for a religion. So no, the superiority in atheism is not real. It is an Utopia.

Another recourse to straw man? Where did you learn to reason? If 10% of killings are caused by, say, beer ads on television, and 90% by other factors, does that mean that we should allow unrestricted beer ads? If religion is a tool used by leaders to get people to commit awful acts, and you seem to accept that it is, then surely the loss of religion as a force in society is a good thing, at least as far as reducing killings is concerned. Nobody....do I need to repeat this for you?...nobody suggests that religion is the only or even the single biggest factor in human conflict, especially on the personal scale.

<snipped>

So basically I just claim that atheism does not lead to a superior, more peaceful and better world. If you compare the realities you can see no upside, nor can you see one if you compare the theories.
In theory both religion and atheism should lead to love and understanding. In practice, both ways of living failed so far to reach the final goal.

Religions failed much more often then atheism so far. But religion was (and is) the dominating way of living in the world- so just out of the pure number, it must have failed more often. Before the raise of communism, I can not remember any states with a significant amount of atheists in history. Can you? So all the cruelties in the dark ages could not have done from atheists. They simply did not exist at that times....

You make a very common category error here. Atheism is not a movement, in the sense that it has a doctrine or a political or moral philosophy. Atheists don't form a cohesive whole. Surveys seem to suggest that most atheists are somewhat liberal in their social thinking, but that isn't, as far as I know, a result of any 'teachings' or 'party platforms'.

Atheism isn't really a positive position: we don't generally go around asserting that such and such should happen in the name of atheism.

We don't believe in a god. Few of us state positively that there is no god. Virtually all of us say that the evidence suggests that there is no god, but that we cannot prove a negative. If others want to believe in a god, good for them. Just don't let that impact public life...keep it private. No religious indoctrination in schools. Not tax exempt status or state subsidy, and so on.

As for how we live our lives, and how society should be structured: these are matters for debate based on views of morality and so on. As mentioned, most atheists happen, it seems, to be somewhat liberal, but not all. And this seems to be a correlation rather than a cause and effect relationship.

It is perfectly possible to be an atheist and a believer in libertarianism, or communism...these being two diametrically opposed political and economic philosophies. That is because a lack of belief in a supernatural being has no discernable role to play in how we think a society ought to function, other than rejecting a theocracy. Personally, there was a very short period of time when I think I was a socialist, but never a communist. Now I think I am a left of centre proponent of regulated free enterprise, with a significant role for government with respect to fundamental 'rights' that I would like to see granted to the people of any particular state. But I don't think that philosophy is a result of my atheism, since I don't see the relationship.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#258 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-January-08, 11:02

My little contact with day-to-day priests resulted on realicing they don't even have a television, few have cars, none of them has silly things like ipads or such, just some books. I really trust that money spent by this guys is better spent than money spent by politicians, at least spannish ones. Or maybe I just contacted the most humble.

#259 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-08, 11:10

Fluffy, on 2013-January-08, 11:02, said:

My little contact with day-to-day priests resulted on realicing they don't even have a television, few have cars, none of them has silly things like ipads or such, just some books. I really trust that money spent by this guys is better spent than money spent by politicians, at least spannish ones. Or maybe I just contacted the most humble.

I am sure many and perhaps most priests/ministers live like that. I knew one, now deceased RC priest who owned an Italian villa and a nice house here in Canada and who died with a significant amount of investments. Now, he may have inherited this: I have no reason to think he got rich as a priest.

I know of an evangelical preacher who listed his home, near where I live, for about 6 million dollars...I should say that while this was 'near' where I live, it was in an entirely different class of homes :P He made his money from a religious television show milking his audience for contributions, all to do the Lord's work (which apparently required he live in luxury).

The fact that many religious people try to live by the tenets of their faith, while others don't, says little, if anything, about the intrinsic validity of the assumptions underlying that faith.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#260 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 11:17

Roland, I have seen quite enough facts on the budget of the German churches and also on how much money the state spends on subsidising them. I just can't be bothered to research the best sources for this forum, especially as most members don't read German anyway. But why you would think that talking to a random priest is the best way to get information about the budget of the national church eludes me.

Also, I did attend religion classes in Lower Saxony for 2 years. They were definitely all about the Christian religion.

Codo, on 2013-January-08, 10:49, said:

And no, you are NOT in a minority of 37,2 %. These are the numbers of non confessionals. By far the smallest part of these are real atheists.

Yes, so, how are the non-church-members who are not atheists benefitting from the money the state is giving to the church?

Oh, BTW, I'm glad you are content with our so-called democracy. Personally I think it's not very democratic when parliament passes a law which is rejected by 70% of the population and which leading law experts consider unconstitutional just because two religious groups threatened to throw a temper tantrum if the laws were not changed for them.
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users