• You cannot reply to this topic

Israel, Bali, & the WBF.

#141 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-08, 15:30

2 things:

1) "Please be advised that all Indonesian Representative (Embassy or Consulate Generals) hold the right to deny any applicant that deemed ineligible without disclosing the reason." - from the Indonesian Embassy to the US web page.

"It is the sole prerogative of each country or region to determine who is allowed to enter. Canadian consular officials cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet entry requirements. The following information on entry and exit requirements has been obtained from the Indonesian authorities. However, these requirements are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to check with the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia or its consulates for up-to-date information." - Government of Canada Travel Advisory (this is on *every* page, with the relevant country, including the U.S.)

This is all boilerplate and universal. The US is particularly relevant when it comes to "denying entry without disclosing the reason"...as we found out three years ago.

2) This isn't the organizer's fault (any more than it was the USBF's fault that they couldn't convince DHS to allow in the players in Philadelphia). It's the government of Indonesia's issue, and it has to be dealt with. The only thing I've heard that is an issue is the organizer's claiming to provide a conduit into the government, and then nothing being heard.

There will be places - Israel, say - where the same thing would happen, to other countries' representatives. There will be places - Russia, say - where others may have their visa rejected for other grounds (Is Stephen Fry a bridge player?) Conversely, there will be places - and I'm not going to give an example here - where teams that would qualify may feel uncomfortable going because of the implicit support for the place going there has. Perhaps it is the WBF's responsibility to be aware of where this is likely to be an issue, and not award events to those countries - but remember that very close to the top of that list is the only country allowed two entries to the event (and not *that* far down the list from there is my country)...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#142 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-August-08, 19:11

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-August-08, 10:47, said:

:P
From the Australian Government - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

This Advice was last issued on Friday, 24 May 2013.
It contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and Security:
Terrorism (in May 2013 police disrupted terrorist groups in West and Central Java). It also contains minor changes and editorial amendments throughout.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack. You should also be aware of the severe penalties for narcotics offences, including the death penalty; some specific health risks; and risks associated with natural disasters.

• Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.

• We continue to receive information that indicates that terrorists may be planning attacks in Indonesia, which could take place at any time.

• Terrorist groups remain active throughout Indonesia despite police disruptions. Police continue to conduct operations against these groups and have stated publicly that terrorist suspects remaining at large may seek to attack Western targets.

• You should exercise particular caution around locations that have a low level of protective security and avoid places known to be possible terrorist targets. See the Safety and security section of this advice for details.

• Terrorists have previously attacked or planned to attack places where Westerners gather, including nightclubs, bars, restaurants, international hotels, airports and places of worship in Bali, Jakarta and elsewhere in Indonesia. These types of venues could be targeted again.

• Australians should avoid all protests, demonstrations and rallies as they can turn violent.

• Indonesia is subject to a range of natural disasters including volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and floods. You should pay close attention to emergency procedures and monitor local warnings.

• Visitors to Indonesia, particularly to tourist locations such as Bali and Lombok, should be aware of the specific risks from crime, and from drink-spiking and consumption of alcohol adulterated with harmful substances such as methanol. Tourists may also be exposed to scams and credit card/ATM fraud (see under Crime for more information).

• Petty crime, such as opportunistic theft, is common in Indonesia. Thieves on motorcycles may snatch handbags and backpacks from pedestrians. Tourists may be exposed to scams and confidence tricks in Indonesia. Legal disputes are common regarding the purchase of real estate including land, houses, holiday clubs and time share schemes.

• You should exercise normal beach safety behaviour and consider carefully the risks involved in using motorcycles, including licence and insurance issues (see under Local travel for more information).

• Visitors should be aware that there is a risk of rabies throughout Indonesia, in particular Bali and Nias. See under Health for advice to Australians travelling to or resident in Indonesia.

• We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Central Sulawesi, Maluku, Papua and West Papua provinces where additional safety and security risks exist. Since October 2012, a number of violent incidents have been reported in Poso, Central Sulawesi.

• Since July 2009, there has been a series of violent attacks in the area around the Freeport Mine in Papua province. A number of these incidents have resulted in deaths, including of one Australian. Attacks were reported in the area in March and April 2013. Further such attacks could occur. Information indicates that attacks may be planned near the area of operation of the Freeport mine.

• Ongoing violence in Puncak Jaya District in Papua Province has led to a number of deaths in recent years, including most recently in February 2013 in Tingginambut and Sinak. There is a possibility of further attacks in Papua and West Papua provinces, including attacks on infrastructure and national institutions.

• You should telephone ahead for an appointment before going to the Australian Embassy (See Where to get help section).

• Because of the high threat of terrorist attack in Indonesia we strongly recommend that you register your travel and contact details with us so we can contact you in an emergency.

• Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas: ◦ organise comprehensive travel insurance and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy

◦subscribe to this travel advice to receive free email updates each time it's reissued.

Just in case you missed it on the news, other terrorist activity in Bali:
2002 over 200 dead
2005 over 20 dead
2011 threat warning
2012 planned attack narrowly averted

Have you ever been to Bali? For your information Bali is a far safer destination than the US. You have less chance of being shot and based on recent events in the US, I would not class the US as a safe destination.
Your quotes from DAFTA are highly selective. These travel warnings are generic for a number of countries, including the one in which I live. I feel safer in Laosthan I ever did in the States, or Australia for that matter.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#143 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-August-08, 19:27

View PostArtK78, on 2013-August-08, 06:11, said:

Warren Spector is right.

There is only one side that put roadblocks in the way of Israel's participation in the event. There is only one side that is putting roadblocks in the way of Migry's participation in the event. And those roadblocks have nothing to do with anything but nationality (I could say religion, but that is less clear).

There is a long history of countries refusing to play against Israel in the World Championships and the WBF doing nothing about it. At what point will the WBF finally say enough is enough?

It is too late to avoid bad precedents. There are years of bad precedents. It is now time to change those precedents.

Art, the comments made by Warren Spector are buffoonish. It does not say a lot for your powers of logic that you support them.
You consistently ignore the fact that Israel withdrew. To argue that they were forced to withdraw is a blatant misrepresentation of the truth. Israeli citizens are playing in the Transnational. Migry will get her visa. I repeat, Israel withdrew.
I assume you are aware that Indonesia does not recognise Israel. This means that visas are more difficult, but not impossible to obtain. Look at the restrictions placed on Malaysian and Indonesian citizens to enter Israel are at least as onerous as the reverse.
Have you ever been to Bali? You have less chance of getting murdered there than you do in the US. Based on recent events in the States, the US is not a safe place to hold international events.
I leave you with one final point: should the US be barred from holding international events? 32 players were denied visas or have you forgotten this or do you conveniently ignore it?.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#144 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-08, 20:11

View Postthe hog, on 2013-August-08, 19:11, said:

Have you ever been to Bali? For your information Bali is a far safer destination than the US. You have less chance of being shot and based on recent events in the US, I would not class the US as a safe destination.
Your quotes from DAFTA are highly selective. These travel warnings are generic for a number of countries, including the one in which I live. I feel safer in Laosthan I ever did in the States, or Australia for that matter.

:P Truth be known, I did spend 3 days in Bali in 2000, nice resort, poor country. Some of our companions were cousins who were Australian military. This was before Bali 2002, before East Timor, before Bali 2005 or even the threat warnings in 2010 or 2012. Funny how the Aussie cousins seemed to get it even then.

I am sure you will continue to be safe. When you are rich in a poor land speeding in a car is $50. Killing a poor native accidently is $500. Vaya con dios, bro. And may you rot in Hell for your sins. We know.

#145 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-August-08, 21:09

"When you are rich in a poor land speeding in a car is $50."
Nah! 50,000 Kip here. That is $8.00

#146 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-August-16, 04:50

Anyone know if and where the CCs are available for the 2013 Bermuda Bowl?

#147 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-16, 06:16

View Post32519, on 2013-August-16, 04:50, said:

Anyone know if and where the CCs are available for the 2013 Bermuda Bowl?

Start at http://www.ecatsbrid...sp?page=WBC2013
Then click on the BermudaBowl folder.
For each team, there is a folder containing their convention cards.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#148 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-August-16, 07:45

Much appreciated, Bill. Thanks a ton!

#149 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-16, 11:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-July-10, 07:30, said:

If you agree to host a major tournament, then you also agree to the rules laid down by the responsible organisation (RO). So no banning of Taiwan from the Chinese olympics, no banning of Israel from the UAE World Cup and no banning of Pakistan from the Indian Commonwealth Games. If a host country decides to change the rules without the authority of the RO then the RO has a responsibility to make sure that this does not succeed, even being ready to switch to another host at short notice in extreme cases. If a host manages to make unauthorised changes of a political nature despite efforts to avoid this and it is too late to cancel, then the RO should send a clear message by imposing some sanction on the host nation. In this case, simply banning Indonesia from the next BB/VC/SB cycle would send the right message that the actions were unacceptable. Offering Israel a place in another competition without sanctioning Indonesia sends precisely the wrong message.

@Rik, there was a WTA tennis event last year in, I think, Doha where an Israeli woman had to play on a court away from spectators due to issues with the organisors. Israeli security staff were on the court at all times. That caused something of an international stir but certainly emphasises the point that Israeli competitors do play in such countries.

Can't disagree more. Sports are not played in vacuum, they're played in the larger context of society. Playing Bridge or Soccer is not more important than the lives of innocent people.

I don't understand why you would require India to not ban Pakistani players in Commonwealth Games, in the light of Mumbai Massacre of 2008. That'd be like saying 6 months after 9/11, the U.S should have hosted a Soccer team from Afghanistan.

It should be the other way around. International Sports organizations should themselves ban terrorist-sponsor nations from International sports rather than putting a victimized country on the spot. All through the years of Apartheid, the ICC (International Cricket Council) had banned South Africa from all International Cricket.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#150 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-16, 12:09

View Postsathyab, on 2013-August-16, 11:14, said:

Can't disagree more. Sports are not played in vacuum, they're played in the larger context of society. Playing Bridge or Soccer is not more important than the lives of innocent people.

I don't understand why you would require India to not ban Pakistani players in Commonwealth Games, in the light of Mumbai Massacre of 2008. That'd be like saying 6 months after 9/11, the U.S should have hosted a Soccer team from Afghanistan.

It should be the other way around. International Sports organizations should themselves ban terrorist-sponsor nations from International sports rather than putting a victimized country on the spot. All through the years of Apartheid, the ICC (International Cricket Council) had banned South Africa from all International Cricket.

I can't disagree more with you. If you're not prepared to host everybody, don't offer to host. Now there's a discussion to be had if an incident with a nation that had been no problem happens between the awarding of the event and it taking place, but that is not the case here.

The problem of your final paragraph is that nobody other than Switzerland would take part in anything. The arab nations would denounce UK/US as terrorist nations, India/Pakistan denounce each other, Israel/Arab nations etc etc

#151 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2013-August-16, 19:19

Well, the truth is that Indonesia did NOT say that Israel was not welcome. A lot of the posters on the Bridge Winners site, (and one or two here), either lied or at least severely distorted the truth. Israel withdrew - end of story!

#152 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-16, 22:06

View Postthe hog, on 2013-August-16, 19:19, said:

…end of story!

We can hope it's the end of the story, but folks just won't leave it alone.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#153 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-17, 06:02

View Postthe hog, on 2013-August-16, 19:19, said:

Well, the truth is that Indonesia did NOT say that Israel was not welcome. A lot of the posters on the Bridge Winners site, (and one or two here), either lied or at least severely distorted the truth. Israel withdrew - end of story!

That's a half truth at best. Israel did withdraw, but only because Indonesia would not discuss security despite repeated requests (the visa issue is a red herring). Basically Indonesia acted in a way guaranteed to make Israel withdraw, that's the equivalent to saying you're not welcome.

It's a bit like saying to Israel that for security reasons you can't leave the complex, for biosecurity reasons you can't bring your own food and we only serve shellfish, but you're welcome to come, guaranteed withdrawal.

#154 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-August-17, 07:10

This is a serious issue and I apologize for not being fully informed, but I have sort of a general view on matters like this:

I am pretty much a trusting guy, but there are places that I would not go unless there was a good reason, and there are places that I just wouldn't go. My life, I get to decide. Security arrangements would play a role in my decision. So far, probably everyone agrees.

In the case at hand, my understanding is that security arrangements never got discussed, there was simply no response. My daughter, as part of her job, sometimes goes to places that I wish she did not go. Security is part of the preparation. Of course it is.

Maybe the women would want security arrangements that would seem excessive to me. Or maybe not. Who knows? If it got to the point where one side insisted on security that the other side found intrusive, for example three armed soldiers five feet from the playing table at all times, then we would at least know what was asked for and what was refused. The players, individually and as a team, could decide. We could second guess the decisions, or we could just bemoan the lack of agreement.

But here, as I understand it, we have a lack of openess, a lack of discussion, a lack of clarity. This seems completely wrong to me.

I am an outsider on this, but that's how I see it.
Ken

#155 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-August-17, 08:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-August-17, 06:02, said:

That's a half truth at best. Israel did withdraw, but only because Indonesia would not discuss security despite repeated requests (the visa issue is a red herring). Basically Indonesia acted in a way guaranteed to make Israel withdraw, that's the equivalent to saying you're not welcome.

My understanding is that Israel withdrew because the WBF said "we need to know RIGHT NOW whether you're coming or not" at a time when the security concerns had not yet been resolved. Yes, Indonesia was dragging its feet, but attempts at resolution were still ongoing. Could a resolution have been reached? Who knows? :unsure:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#156 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-August-17, 10:20

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-August-17, 08:53, said:

My understanding is that Israel withdrew because the WBF said "we need to know RIGHT NOW whether you're coming or not" at a time when the security concerns had not yet been resolved. Yes, Indonesia was dragging its feet, but attempts at resolution were still ongoing. Could a resolution have been reached? Who knows? :unsure:

In addition to this, its worth noting that one Israeli citizen is competing as a member of the US team. Two others are planning to attend to defend their title in the transnational mixed teams. The only Israeli teams that aren't participating are those "officially" representing Israel who were unable to get permission to attend from their own government.
Alderaan delenda est

#157 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-17, 16:55

View PostArtK78, on 2013-August-08, 06:11, said:

There is only one side that put roadblocks in the way of Israel's participation in the event.

Yup, and that was clearly the Israeli side. So I don't see why they or their American puppets are whining.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#158 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-August-17, 17:19

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-August-17, 16:55, said:

Yup, and that was clearly the Israeli side. So I don't see why they or their American puppets are whining.

Get in touch with reality, refusal of the Indonesians to answer a legitimate question even with a "mind your own business", just to delay to ensure the Israelis couldn't go was ridiculous.

#159 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-17, 17:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-August-17, 17:19, said:

Get in touch with reality, refusal of the Indonesians to answer a legitimate question even with a "mind your own business", just to delay to ensure the Israelis couldn't go was ridiculous.

I disagree on the legitimacy of the question.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#160 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-August-17, 17:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-August-17, 17:19, said:

Comment 1: I don't think its unreasonable for the Israeli's to insist on special treatment if they're going to compete in an international sporting event. At the same time, I don't see any require for host countries to cater to these demands. At the end of the day, if the Israeli's are unwilling to participate, so be it. I would have rather seen all the qualifying teams participate, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Moreover, I find the constant whining pretty tedious...

Comment 2: Israel and Indonesia don't have diplomatic relations. I'm not overly surprised that the Israeli's haven't found the Indonesians to be forthcoming. Moreover, the Israeli's refusal to allow the Indonesian foreign minister to enter Israel last year might have something to do with the current difficulties.
Alderaan delenda est

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

17 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users