BBO Discussion Forums: Claim for 2 off - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claim for 2 off Matchpoint pairs

Poll: How many tricks for declarer's side? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How many of last 3 tricks for declarer's side?

1. 3 (8 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. 2 (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. 1 (9 votes [45.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-17, 01:01

Declarer has no more stated an intention to take two tricks (his queens) than he has stated an intention to contribute the 10 to the next trick. He has simply accepted the inevitable cashing of the 13th spade, a consequence of which is that he will make the last two tricks. I agree with chrism: it makes no sense to interpret declarers statement in the light of the 13th spade not being cashed. It feels like lamford is right and the finesse is now obligatory, although as is often the case when lamford is right, it is not what I would intuitively consider fair!

The missing spade is interesting. Is declarer obliged to assume that the missing spade is with North if doing so would cause him to go wrong? After all, he doesn't believe it has been played and it would not be irrational to assume that South would have cashed it if he had it - although it would mean something strange had happened in the auction.

#22 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-17, 06:14

Which bit of "he claimed two off" are we not getting here?

If he needed to take a successful view to secure two off, then we would rule against him, but he doesn't - he has two top tricks (and three on the lie).

#23 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-17, 07:33

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-June-17, 06:14, said:

The bit starting with the opponents cashing the fourteenth spade. When a claim breaks down because it is not possible, we revert to selecting the worst normal line for declarer. Mind you there is one director who selected the worst normal line for declarer when a defender claimed.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#24 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-17, 07:57

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-June-17, 06:14, said:

If he needed to take a successful view to secure two off, then we would rule against him, but he doesn't - he has two top tricks (and three on the lie).

What would your ruling be if declarer had said "I'll have the last two tricks"?

#25 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-17, 17:17

View Postlamford, on 2014-June-17, 07:33, said:

The bit starting with the opponents cashing the fourteenth spade. When a claim breaks down because it is not possible, we revert to selecting the worst normal line for declarer. Mind you there is one director who selected the worst normal line for declarer when a defender claimed.

Declarer claime two off - he never said he was losing a spade. His claim never broke down, and correct me if I'm wrong but he has a 100% line to avoid 3 off.

#26 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-17, 17:18

View PostMickyB, on 2014-June-17, 07:57, said:

What would your ruling be if declarer had said "I'll have the last two tricks"?

Up one. It's just nonsense to believe he would deliberately lose trick eleven in order to save his winners for tricks 12 and 13.

Unless he said "I am deliberately going to stab myself in the face", I would give him his three top tricks.

#27 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-17, 17:26

View Postsfi, on 2014-June-17, 00:52, said:

He did claim the two queens. From the original post: "with the 2 minor suit queens taking the last two tricks"
He did not claim the two queens. You left off the first half of the sentence. He claimed two tricks, (silently) expecting those two tricks to be his two queens. See OP's post #6 for a confirmation of this.

#28 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-June-17, 19:25

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-June-17, 17:18, said:

Up one. It's just nonsense to believe he would deliberately lose trick eleven in order to save his winners for tricks 12 and 13.

Unless he said "I am deliberately going to stab myself in the face", I would give him his three top tricks.

Irrelevant. The Laws tell us that the Director proceeds as follows:
<snip> 1. The Director shall not accept from claimer any successful line of play not embraced in the original clarification statement if there is an alternative normal line of play that would be less successful.

There was no clarification statement. In order to make two tricks the declarer needs to rise with the queen of diamonds on the diamond return. Is there an alternative normal line? Yes, finessing is certainly normal, and is less successful on this layout. Therefore only one trick to declarer. There is no need to get inside the mind of the declarer. You just proceed as you are told to by Law 70. And "shall not" is pretty strong.

#29 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-June-17, 21:01

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-13, 11:17, said:

Suppose you are on the AC. How do you assess this one?
Thank you, Jallerton, for the educational open poll. It would be more interesting if more people voted, especially the likes of bluejak, blackshoe, gordontd, pran, franceshinden and jallerton.

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-17, 22:37

I have to agree with Lamford. I would say to declarer "The laws require you to state a line of play. The laws require the director to assess alternative normal, which includes careless or inferior, lines to see if the claim fails. You didn't state a line of play, so any normal line which fails causes the claim to fail. Taking the diamond finesse is normal. Two tricks to the defense."
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#31 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-18, 00:16

View Postnige1, on 2014-June-17, 21:01, said:

Thank you, Jallerton, for the educational open poll. It would be more interesting if more people voted, especially the likes of bluejak, blackshoe, gordontd, pran, franceshinden and jallerton.

This case is a live appeal to the national authority, in which context I've given my opinion, so it doesn't seem appropriate for me to say anything else at this stage. A couple of others in your list may also be in the same position.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#32 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-June-18, 05:09

View Postgordontd, on 2014-June-18, 00:16, said:

This case is a live appeal to the national authority, in which context I've given my opinion, so it doesn't seem appropriate for me to say anything else at this stage. A couple of others in your list may also be in the same position.

What was the result of the original appeal?

#33 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-June-18, 11:04

More random comments

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-13, 11:17, said:

The TD is called (by dummy)
IMO that's OK because declarer's claim terminates play.

View Postsfi, on 2014-June-17, 00:52, said:

He did claim the two queens. From the original post: "with the 2 minor suit queens taking the last two tricks"

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-14, 16:07, said:

Declarer's claim statement was simply "two off". You can debate what this claim statement implies, but that it is all he said at the point when he claimed.
Jallerton confirms that, at the time, declarer didn't state a line, explicitly.

Fair enough. Exciting stuff :)

#34 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-18, 14:31

Expensive stuff, usually.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#35 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 09:53

View Postnige1, on 2014-June-17, 21:01, said:

I posted this case because I thought people might find it interesting. Do you expect me to vote in my own poll? It's fascinating that a claim in a 3-card ending can generate such passionate but differing views.

Sorry, it's probably not good practice to post 'live' appeals, but normally when an AC has made it decision the case is no longer considered to be 'live'. Perhaps 'resurrected' is a better description. I should probably point out that the facts being considered by the National Authority could be slightly different than those I have described: my informant had heard the facts from the players (the N/S and E/W versions agreed) rather than from the TD/AC.

View Postc_corgi, on 2014-June-17, 01:01, said:

Declarer has no more stated an intention to take two tricks (his queens) than he has stated an intention to contribute the 10 to the next trick. He has simply accepted the inevitable cashing of the 13th spade, a consequence of which is that he will make the last two tricks. I agree with chrism: it makes no sense to interpret declarers statement in the light of the 13th spade not being cashed. It feels like lamford is right and the finesse is now obligatory, although as is often the case when lamford is right, it is not what I would intuitively consider fair!

The missing spade is interesting. Is declarer obliged to assume that the missing spade is with North if doing so would cause him to go wrong? After all, he doesn't believe it has been played and it would not be irrational to assume that South would have cashed it if he had it - although it would mean something strange had happened in the auction.

Yes, the missing spade is interesting. Suppose that South had retained the 13th spade, discarding a low club instead, the 3-card ending now being:

Again, with South on lead, declarer claims "2 off" without stating a line.

If South cashes the last spade, as declarer expects, then he does indeed make the last two tricks with his two queens. But suppose the defence object to the claim. South points out that if he plays a diamond through, declarer might finesse. If he does, North will win and play a club; declarer might finesse again. Does this mean that the TD should rule all three of the remaining tricks to the defence?

#36 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-21, 16:01

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-21, 09:53, said:

Again, with South on lead, declarer claims "2 off" without stating a line.

If South cashes the last spade, as declarer expects, then he does indeed make the last two tricks with his two queens. But suppose the defence object to the claim. South points out that if he plays a diamond through, declarer might finesse. If he does, North will win and play a club; declarer might finesse again. Does this mean that the TD should rule all three of the remaining tricks to the defence?

I hope that L70A would be interpreted so as to protect the claimer against such shenanigans. That South would - in real life - cash the spade is not a doubtful point, since declarer would otherwise be likely to make the rest of the tricks (in the actual position) and could have QJ (in which case he would be guaranteed to do so).

#37 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-June-21, 17:40

I posted this case because I thought people might find it interesting. Do you expect me to vote in my own poll? It's fascinating that a claim in a 3-card ending can generate such passionate but differing views. Sorry, it's probably not good practice to post 'live' appeals, but normally when an AC has made it decision the case is no longer considered to be 'live'. Perhaps 'resurrected' is a better description.
IBLF posers seem fairly evenly split, which should auger well for a return of the deposit.

Yes, the missing spade is interesting. Suppose that South had retained the 13th spade, discarding a low club instead. [SNIP]... suppose the defence object to the claim. South points out that if he plays a diamond through, declarer might finesse. If he does, North will win and play a club; declarer might finesse again. Does this mean that the TD should rule all three of the remaining tricks to the defence?
Wow, we all missed that excellent point :(

#38 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 17:44

"Posers"? Is that another nasty Britishism? B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#39 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 17:56

View Postnige1, on 2014-June-21, 17:40, said:

Wow, we all missed that excellent point :(

Speak for yourself.

#40 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2014-June-21, 18:17

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-June-21, 17:56, said:

Speak for yourself.

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-June-21, 17:44, said:

"Posers"? Is that another nasty Britishism? B-)
:) Sorry, I was writing about posters :)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users