• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

comments please

#21 User is offline   plaur 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-29, 17:31

View PostJLOGIC, on 2010-December-29, 12:58, said:

Personally the only questionable bid in my mind is 2S.

Why is 2S questionable?

I would bid 2S. Nice hand, but still a 6 looser hand with 10 active HCP's. 3S is too much and 3D would nat gf for me, not mini-splint.

btw, big thanks to jillybean for asking many good questions here and thanks to all who does reply!
I rarely reply but read all the answers and try to learn from them.

#22 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-December-29, 17:41

View Postplaur, on 2010-December-29, 17:31, said:

Why is 2S questionable?

I would bid 2S. Nice hand, but still a 6 looser hand with 10 active HCP's. 3S is too much and 3D would nat gf for me, not mini-splint.

btw, big thanks to jillybean for asking many good questions here and thanks to all who does reply!
I rarely reply but read all the answers and try to learn from them.

Because its close to 3S. I don't know what active HCP are but my HJ is a pretty good card as are my SAK and HK so that's 11 high cards. We make game opposite Qxxxx Ax xxx xxx for instance (cherry picked perfect minimum, but still only 6 points). I didn't know this would be so controversial, I'm just saying I thought all bids were routine and the only questionable decision is whether to bid 2S or 3S. They are both reasonable. If you don't think 3S is reasonable that's fine, I was just offering my opinion. Jilly asked for "comments" and those were mine. I was a little bit surprised that my opinion was loled by the OP who asked for comments. No offense but I'll trust my judgement that 3S is a reasonable bid after 1H p 1S p ? and that 2S and 3S is a debatable decision over jillybeans. I must have missed the memo that jillybean had become so good that her opinion could invalidate mine, and that she could dish out an lol on my opinion of a hand she asked about! ;)

#23 User is offline   plaur 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-December-29, 17:53

View PostJLOGIC, on 2010-December-29, 17:41, said:

Because its close to 3S.

Judgement and hand evaluations from players like you (and many others) are the main reasons I read these forums! I do find it interesting that this hand is close to 3S. And, LOL, no I am not questioning your abilty. When my judgement deviates from that of a good player I jump in and ask - to learn!

#24 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-29, 18:15

View Postplaur, on 2010-December-29, 17:53, said:

Judgement and hand evaluations from players like you (and many others) are the main reasons I read these forums! I do find it interesting that this hand is close to 3S. And, LOL, no I am not questioning your abilty. When my judgement deviates from that of a good player I jump in and ask - to learn!

I would bid 2S also for what it's worth!

#25 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2010-December-29, 19:19

View PostJLOGIC, on 2010-December-29, 15:28, said:

What is "lol" about my statement. You bid to the best contract and asked for comments. I said only one bid is questionable, 2S. What is the problem? If you know everything there is to know about this hand that you feel the need to "lol" at my response to your thread, why bother posting it?

Justin, sorry I was not LOL'ing about your response as such. I was LOL'ing about the general tone and "Oops sorry this is beginner/int, ken got me again!".

I certainly don't know everything about this hand nor any of the other hands I post here. Some hands I post mainly for clarification becuase some wacko expert and BBO has told me "never ______" or some other "gem" that doesn't make sense. Other hands like this one, I find that I am entirely off track with the majority of responses from forum members (whose opinions I respect and appreciate very much) This allows me to rethink and adjust my game and hopefuly be more successful or a better partner in future.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#26 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2010-December-29, 19:27

View PostJLOGIC, on 2010-December-29, 17:41, said:

I must have missed the memo that jillybean had become so good that her opinion could invalidate mine, and that she could dish out an lol on my opinion of a hand she asked about! ;)

So did I. If that ever happened you wouldn't miss it, I'd be taking out a full page advertisment in the New York Times. :P
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#27 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-30, 10:22

View PostJLOGIC, on 2010-December-29, 15:28, said:

What is "lol" about my statement. You bid to the best contract and asked for comments. I said only one bid is questionable, 2S. What is the problem? If you know everything there is to know about this hand that you feel the need to "lol" at my response to your thread, why bother posting it?

Jilly I think if you do a quick simul you will find that 4 makes a ridiculous amount of the time opposite a minimal response but not quite enough to justify a 4 call so 3 is probably the %age call you might want to see as a reference the "convention with no name" which most people play IMO way too strong in terms of HCP values.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#28 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-January-04, 09:05

I've never heard of cwnn after

1-1

have you?!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#29 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-04, 09:45

cwnn= convention with no name?

#30 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-January-04, 17:33

y
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#31 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-January-04, 18:13

View Postgwnn, on 2011-January-04, 09:05, said:

1-1

have you?!

maybe we can call it gadget with no name?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#32 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-04, 18:30

View Postgwnn, on 2011-January-04, 09:05, said:

1-1

have you?!

fwiw, I haven't either.
I thought it is only for a 1-minor open >> 1-Major response, but I suppose with prior agreement you could have:
1H - 1S
4H! = 4s/6h, GF values....but I'm afraid this situation is rare compared to long, strong Ht hands which lack Spades.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users