• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2010-December-30, 18:23

ATB?

and the seond hand;
ALL NV, IMP

Partner opens 1 in 2nd position, (double) to you,

KJ4, 7, Q3, KQT7542
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-30, 19:34

If one is available then South for not making a nonconstructive raise.

Edit: Did see the data on the 2nd hand earlier. I always start these with an XX if I have the HCP values.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-30, 19:39

The first one is 100% South. Maybe my grandmother would have passed 1 but the hand is obviously a maximum after that. Maybe North should have bid game too but I can't give South less than 100% for such an appalling action as passing the 3 invite.

The second one is too good for any preemptive action. If you play splinters after a double you can do that, otherwise 2NT or whatever shows a good club raise.

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-30, 22:36

1. Don't pass 1, but thats not really the culprit. Don't bid 2. I much prefer redouble to characterize the strength of the heart suit and show extras. South has shown so far xxxxx xx xx xxxx - how many times does South have to say, "I have nothing"? Easy raise to 4 IMO.

2. Whatever I have to show a good raise in clubs - hopefully 2N. Or, do I have the option of making a splinter over a double?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-30, 23:01

Wow, I consider myself an aggressive bidder but perhaps I'm closer to a Granny than I think.
I didn't consider raising 1 at all, please explain why you would.

I do see that my seond pass is awful.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-30, 23:41

I *never* said I'd raise hearts. I would bid 1N. I'll bet the other non-passers would too.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2010-December-31, 11:05

Ok, what do you do after
1:1N
2 ?
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-31, 12:01

deal one...south should just bid 4hover 3h...this is imps..bid games...if you go down so be it.

agree with pass of 1h.

deal two.....3h splinter/gf/..easy.

shows roughly a 6 loser hand, long clubs, short h, npp. I play splinters are limited bids, not unlimited.

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2010-December-31, 12:18

This is the second deal

lead HQ -1

(still learning)

#10 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-31, 12:49

5c looks like it is a tiny bit over 50% and at the nonexpert table they may cash the two aces at tricks one and two :)

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-December-31, 14:56

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-30, 22:36, said:

1. Don't pass 1, but thats not really the culprit. Don't bid 2. I much prefer redouble to characterize the strength of the heart suit and show extras

It's funny how redouble didn't even cross my mind, even though it's a pretty good description of this hand. Oh well, next time. :)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-01, 04:43

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-December-31, 14:56, said:

It's funny how redouble didn't even cross my mind, even though it's a pretty good description of this hand. Oh well, next time. :)

I don't like the REDBL with a fit. It gives the opps the change to preempt 2H/3H/4H and will you pass if your partner Doubles that?
I always prefer to show my fit immediately instead of this REDBL or a penalty Pass.

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-January-01, 06:07

View Postkgr, on 2011-January-01, 04:43, said:

I don't like the REDBL with a fit.

You mean my 6-card fit with myself or what?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-01, 06:42

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-January-01, 06:07, said:

You mean my 6-card fit with myself or what?

...Sorry (That is why I think it is better and clearer to use 2 posts for 2 unrelated hands :rolleyes: )

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-01, 07:38

Jilly, passing 1H is alright and I would never criticize it. You won't see many top players passing with this hand because of the vulnerability among other things, it is just very good tactically to respond rather than pass, especially against good opps who will drill you if you pass.

However since it is basically their style and they have a lot of experience with it, their partners won't go crazy or start doubling everything just because of the response. Playing with a random pickup partner I think having your bids is a good idea, more important than tactical considerations.

That said, you have to bid 4H after the 3H bid, your hand is AWESOME in context! You cannot have much more, and could have a lot less. Your 3rd trump is great, especially in conjunction with the stiff diamond (you have trumps to ruff diamonds with), and you never know about the QJ of spades.

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-01, 07:47

View Postjillybean, on 2010-December-31, 11:05, said:

Ok, what do you do after
1:1N
2 ?

i would slap partner for his ridiculous 2 bid. after hearing a reponse, you can't stop below game.

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-January-01, 11:02

Regarding hand 2, always redoubling with a good hand is apparently a common rule, see for instance the post by pooltuna. It is often wrong though, and here it is very wrong.

Your partner just opened in your SEVEN card suit, how often does that happen? You are not going to defend even if your partner makes a penalty double, and redouble does not describe your hand and gives the opponents all the room in the world to make things difficult for you.

I would bid 3H, splinter. When you have a distributional hand with a great fit, try to tell your partner as quickly as possible.

There are many more hands where it is wrong to redouble. Say you hold - AQxxx KJxxx xxx, partner opens 1C and RHO doubles. You have enough HCP to redouble, but if you do, then you will probably never get to show your suits, maybe not even one of them. And you have no interest in defending 1S or 2S. If you bid 1H now, at least you have shown that suit, and there is a good chance that you will be able to show your diamonds too.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-January-01, 11:04

By the way, 5C is quite a good game, the doubler is likely to have the spade queen.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#19 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-January-04, 12:42

On the first hand, what JLOGIC said. It's not silly to pass 1H, although you will see a lot of good players responding on virtually nothing, particularly if they can bid a forcing (or semi-forcing) 1NT, and then show it as a weak hand. Some others (probably more common in the UK) might raise 1H to 2H, but their partners will know they can have this weak a hand. Pass is the normal down-the-middle action unless you have discussed very light responses with your partner. That said, you can't possibly pass 3H, you have a huge hand. Opener might have done something else over the double, but I don't mind 2D as it's really unlikely to end the auction; I think 1H P P x xx should show a more balanced strong hand.

On the second, I wouldn't risk 3H after 1C x if partner might think it is a weak hand with long hearts (which is not that uncommonly played), or might think it is a fit bid with hearts and clubs (which is how I would play it when discussed). If I had a forcing club raise after the double, I would make it (e.g. 2NT), if not the auction chosen wasn't silly, and 5C is a perfectly good spot.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users