• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scramble to 9

#1 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-06, 08:50

Imps, I just felt like declaring rather than defending on this hand. RHO is neither completely crazy nor super conservative.

Trick 1: 8, 10, ACE, 2
Trick 2: 9, JACK, 6, ...

Plan the play. Additional information hidden below.

Spoiler

I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-06, 09:20

I win 9 and then lead J, my plan is to score 2 3 1 3, hopefully LHO is squeezed before I am

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 10:57

I could cash K, which works when LHO has everything, even if nothing breaks. However, that goes down rather a lot if RHO has a heart honour.

Instead, I'll play a line that works most of the time as long as I guess who has K.

Heart to K (in case RHO has a singleton queen), lose a heart, win the club exit, lose a heart, win the club exit. Now, if I think LHO has K:
- If clubs broke and hearts were 4=2, unblock the last club and exit with 2, endplaying LHO to give me an entry back to hand.
- If clubs broke and hearts were 5=1, play the same heart endplay, but one trick later.
- If clubs were 4-1 and hearts not 5-1, cash the hearts. If LHO keeps three diamonds including the king, cash the club and run 7, endplaying him I hope. If he comes down to Kx, I can set up Q.
- If clubs broke and hearts were 3-3, play the diamond endplay, but with more confidence as LHO will be 2=3=5=3.
- If clubs were 4-1 and hearts were 5-1, I should have cashed K.

If I think RHO has K, I do something more obvious.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-06, 11:27

gnasher just so its clear to me you're pitching a diamond from dummy at trick 2 so you can retain the heart endplay without losing too many tricks in the suit? Or would you ever pitch an intermediate heart?
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 12:14

Yes, I'm pitching a diamond at trick 2 (but naturally I'd pitch 8, because 7 may distract the opponents).

Actually, I'm not sure that I can do it against alert opponents. Suppose I play as I suggested: heart to K, lose a heart (RHO following), win the club exit, lose a heart. If the endplay is going to work, RHO can just lead his last heart now whilst he still has clubs to exit with. Or he could do it earlier, by playing two more rounds of hearts as soon as he gets in with the first heart. Still, I can always fall back on the plan of exiting with 7.

Also, I didn't make clear that this endplay where I exit with a diamond isn't guaranteed - if RHO has J9, he can cover 7

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2011-January-06, 12:16

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 13:16

Yeah I would start with H to K, jack of hearts, and then doing something in the endgame.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users