BBO Discussion Forums: both opponents bid over a strong club - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

both opponents bid over a strong club

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-01, 22:00

1C* (1S) 2D (2H) ?

Partner's 2D is a semipositive (nf) diamond suit

What would opener's bids here mean? I'm concerned that there are two suits to ask stoppers for and a high likelihood that RHO (especially) is psyching.

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-March-02, 08:01

Since 2 shows this is our hand, your pass is forcing and you can just play natural, with dbl for take out (better than penalty).

Finally, in my opinion you shouldn't worry much about stoppers. Especially if you don't have a singleton in their suits.

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-02, 10:56

my semipositives are 5-7, 5-8 or so...21 is not clearly "our hand". Especially if partner's 5 points are the diamond Ace (an Ace is *not* 0-4, no?)

That doesn't mean that I don't agree with what you're suggesting, at all. Just that a NF semipositive does not a game force, nor an our hand guaranteed, make.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-02, 11:26

But what specifically would 2S and 3H show? What should a double show? I'm thinking that we need to be able to find heart fits.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-March-04, 05:23

View Postmycroft, on 2011-March-02, 10:56, said:

my semipositives are 5-7, 5-8 or so...21 is not clearly "our hand". Especially if partner's 5 points are the diamond Ace (an Ace is *not* 0-4, no?)

That doesn't mean that I don't agree with what you're suggesting, at all. Just that a NF semipositive does not a game force, nor an our hand guaranteed, make.

I define "our hand" as when we rate to have 21 at least (old count 1-2-3-4 :)) or are very likely to have it.

16+5 = 21, so this is supposed to be "our hand". Of course, supposed doesn't mean it actually is :)

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-March-04, 05:27

View Poststraube, on 2011-March-02, 11:26, said:

But what specifically would 2S and 3H show? What should a double show? I'm thinking that we need to be able to find heart fits.

2, since it is a cue bid, will depend on what you agree with pard. Only the simplest cues such as 1M-(2x)-3x have well-defined and standard meaning. Here it's really a matter of agreement. Especially since we're talking strong club.

As to how to find a heart fit, well one way to do it is for example by bidding 3. Of course, this requires a decent suit and some extras, like 18-19+. Other ways depend on what you agreed with pard.

This is really a matter of agreements... there are no standard ways to deal with the situation. At least not that I know of.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users