#21 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-08, 10:37

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-August-07, 03:43, said:

Opening 3N seems like a completely random bid

Isn't that the point of the convention?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#22 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-August-10, 14:12

Just like any other preempt.

#23 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-August-11, 03:04

Agreeing, I think:
  • In principle, the gambling 3N opener is flawed, because when 3N is the right contract, the convention usually wrong-sides it.
  • IMO, in first two seats, as here, a gambling 3N should be disciplined, so responder can make informed decisions. The normal conventional understanding precludes possession of two aces.

#24 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-11, 07:46

View Postnige1, on 2011-August-11, 03:04, said:

Agreeing, I think:
  • In principle, the gambling 3N opener is flawed, because when 3N is the right contract, the convention usually wrong-sides it.
  • IMO, in first two seats, as here, a gambling 3N should be disciplined, so responder can make informed decisions. The normal conventional understanding precludes possession of two aces.

I agree that the gambling 3NT usually wrongsides the contract, which was why there was a move afoot to make 3 solid and 3NT broken but as far as I know the technical details never got worked out to anyone's satisfaction.

#25 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-August-12, 10:45

I veemently dispute the claim that gambling 3NT often wrong-sides the contract. I've been playing that convention for the last 15 years or so and I've yet to see a case where wrong-siding was the difference between making and failing. I've seen the 7-card suit not breaking like 2 or 3 times (Jxxx on an opponent), but never wrong-siding.

Besides, those who criticise the gambling 3NT fail to see its main advantage: a simple bid that shows one's hand to 99% accuracy while remaining at a reasonably safe level. Wrong-siding is a tertiary worry and putting it as first priority is a technical mistake.

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-12, 11:49

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-August-12, 10:45, said:

I veemently dispute the claim that gambling 3NT often wrong-sides the contract. I've been playing that convention for the last 15 years or so and I've yet to see a case where wrong-siding was the difference between making and failing. I've seen the 7-card suit not breaking like 2 or 3 times (Jxxx on an opponent), but never wrong-siding.

Besides, those who criticise the gambling 3NT fail to see its main advantage: a simple bid that shows one's hand to 99% accuracy while remaining at a reasonably safe level. Wrong-siding is a tertiary worry and putting it as first priority is a technical mistake.

I used to play Alder style 3=G3N, 3N=4 level minor preempt, 4= etc

This solves the wrongsiding issue.

#27 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-August-12, 17:52

Indeed, but if you're gonna try and solve the wrong siding issue with 3, you're going to lose that bid as preemptive. Oh well, you can always solve it dumping the 2NT opener into a multi 2 and go transfer-preempt at all the 3 level (2NT = clubs, etc).

#28 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-13, 04:46

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-August-12, 17:52, said:

Indeed, but if you're gonna try and solve the wrong siding issue with 3, you're going to lose that bid as preemptive. Oh well, you can always solve it dumping the 2NT opener into a multi 2 and go transfer-preempt at all the 3 level (2NT = clubs, etc).

I left it as that because I can't remember what we did with the other 3 bids.

Can't remember whether we played 3red as Xfer or 3 preempt in either major, 3 5-5 majors.

#29 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2011-August-13, 05:32

Idea:

2 = GF or weak 5-4 majors
2 = multi weak 6 major or 20-22 NT
2M = weak M/m 2-suiter
2NT = C or D pree
3 = weak 55 minor
3 = multi: 3M pree
3 = 55 M
3 = gambling
3NT+ = as above

/end rant :P

#30 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-13, 18:03

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-August-13, 05:32, said:

Idea:

2 = GF or weak 5-4 majors
2 = multi weak 6 major or 20-22 NT
2M = weak M/m 2-suiter
2NT = C or D pree
3 = weak 55 minor
3 = multi: 3M pree
3 = 55 M
3 = gambling
3NT+ = as above

/end rant :P

If you have decent multi technology, you can work the big 4441s in there too which removes some awkward hands from other sequences.

#31 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 01:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-August-13, 18:03, said:

If you have decent multi technology, you can work the big 4441s in there too which removes some awkward hands from other sequences.

And screws up the effectiveness of reponder's capabilities in putting more pressure on opponents.

Also, long time ago people thought the more meaning their multi has, more decent it is, they changed their mind pretty quick after opponents learnt that they are not overcall proof, in fact extremely vulnerable against it. I strongly suggest not to play strong jump shifts vs multis which has too many options including a lot of strong hand types.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#32 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-14, 01:18

View PostMrAce, on 2011-August-14, 01:03, said:

And screws up the effectiveness of reponder's capabilities in putting more pressure on opponents.

Also, long time ago people thought the more meaning their multi has, more decent it is, they changed their mind pretty quick after opponents learnt that they are not overcall proof, in fact extremely vulnerable against it. I strongly suggest not to play strong jump shifts vs multis which has too many options including a lot of strong hand types.

Hence the "if you have decent multi technology" bit. You need bids like 3N=5-9 ish 4-4 majors (ie a hand that would enquire whether you had a 4 card major and bid game but not slam opposite the strong balanced option). If partner has both majors and wants to put pressure on, you have a guaranteed 4-4 fit opposite a 4441 so you have no more problem than you do if you hold the strong balanced.

It also works better if you do this to play the destructive weak 2 (often 5) through the multi and the constructive straight weak 2, so you're less likely to want to bounce the multi weak 2 on 3 card support rather than play weak 2/lucas. It also makes it a lot more workable if you restrict the 4441s to at least 18+, I think we actually played 19 or 20 as the minimum.

The only complicated auction is 2-2-3 which is 2 way with a weak 2 in hearts or a 4414.

We didn't have a particular problem with overcalls.

#33 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-14, 03:00

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-August-14, 01:18, said:

Hence the "if you have decent multi technology" bit. You need bids like 3N=5-9 ish 4-4 majors (ie a hand that would enquire whether you had a 4 card major and bid game but not slam opposite the strong balanced option). If partner has both majors and wants to put pressure on, you have a guaranteed 4-4 fit opposite a 4441 so you have no more problem than you do if you hold the strong balanced.

It also works better if you do this to play the destructive weak 2 (often 5) through the multi and the constructive straight weak 2, so you're less likely to want to bounce the multi weak 2 on 3 card support rather than play weak 2/lucas. It also makes it a lot more workable if you restrict the 4441s to at least 18+, I think we actually played 19 or 20 as the minimum.

The only complicated auction is 2-2-3 which is 2 way with a weak 2 in hearts or a 4414.

My biggest complaint against full multi tech is you guys cannot fully explain it at the table...in fact you very often tell half truths.....

Of course it is pretty hard to defend against half truths rather than full disclosure.

--

When you play often against a convention which very often is never fully described by opener or responder; people get mad....often....

---

I doubt in roughly 30 or so years if multi is ever fully described when I have played against it by both opener and responder.

Half truths yes..often....

#34 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-14, 04:16

View Postmike777, on 2011-August-14, 03:00, said:

My biggest complaint against full multi tech is you guys cannot fully explain it at the table...in fact you very often tell half truths.....

Of course it is pretty hard to defend against half truths rather than full disclosure.

--

When you play often against a convention which very often is never fully described by opener or responder; people get mad....often....

---

I doubt in roughly 30 or so years if multi is ever fully described when I have played against it by both opener and responder.

Half truths yes..often....

This does not tally with my experience. I don't know where you play, but in the UK, it's usually well explained.

I don't play a multi any more with my main partner so only play it 5 or 6 times a year.

The description of 5-9 6 card major, 20-21 bal or 18+ 4441 is simple and off pat (if that's the multi I happen to be playing) and the description of the responses is similarly simple. I don't see what there is to misexplain.

Part of the reason a multi gets a bad name is you get things like 2-P-2(p/c)-P(after lots of questions)-P(actually holding spades trying to put the partner of the hesitator in a really awkward spot).

In the UK, multi is common enough that you should know how to defend it, and you are supposed to acquaint yourself with opps general system before play, so you should not have the "interrogation/pass" scenario.

#35 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-15, 00:25

View Postnige1, on 2011-August-11, 03:04, said:

Agreeing, I think:

As I understood it - 3NT may have at most one queen outside?
I once had an idea to play 3 as solid ( I also play 2 as weak ), because of the wrong-side issue, and also to allow to look for 5+-3 major fit, but it never made it to the table:)
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#36 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-15, 08:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-August-14, 01:18, said:

Think about this way, EVEN very well defined, precision 1 opening, will have problems vs an overcall or preempt, and you are expecting us to believe by simply saying u did not have a particular problem with opponents getting into auction, when your opening bid already started at 2 level and has variety of hands starting from very weak to very strong hands, from balanced to very wild shapes.... Cmon now

It would be more convincing if you told me you will bring peace to middle east :)

Using multi as a storage place is a bad idea IMO.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#37 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-15, 14:52

View PostMrAce, on 2011-August-15, 08:36, said:

Think about this way, EVEN very well defined, precision 1 opening, will have problems vs an overcall or preempt, and you are expecting us to believe by simply saying u did not have a particular problem with opponents getting into auction, when your opening bid already started at 2 level and has variety of hands starting from very weak to very strong hands, from balanced to very wild shapes.... Cmon now

It would be more convincing if you told me you will bring peace to middle east :)

Using multi as a storage place is a bad idea IMO.

The strong 4441 is infrequent enough (if you make it really strong), and overcalled rarely so it really adds nothing much more to the complexity of the weak 2/strong 2N multi. Worst case you end up bidding 4441 and (434)2 the same way. If you opened at the 1 level with a nebulous club and next hand overcalls 2 are you any better off than him overcalling 2 over 2 ?

#38 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-August-15, 16:28

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-August-15, 14:52, said:

If you opened at the 1 level with a nebulous club and next hand overcalls 2 are you any better off than him overcalling 2 over 2 ?

I strongly believe so. And i agree with you that 4441 or 4432 strong hands are infrequent, but that doesn't do any good to pdship, since there is this possibility it will slow down the capabilities of pd or effectiveness of our preempt which i believe should be the priority, over a 3m overcall or over a DBL.

If what u only have stored in multi is weak 2 bids and strong 4441 and 4432 hands, this is at least playable imo.

People store things like
a-weak 2
b- strong balanced with 5 card suit
c- strong 4441
d- solid major/minor which contrasts by trick number from namyats or similar openings
e- a hand that doesnt have space in their some relay auction therefore stored here
f-etc etc etc...

This i find unplayable.

#39 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-August-16, 02:23

Most people I know play their multi as:-
1) weak 2 in either major
2) Acol 2 in either minor
3) either strong balanced or strong 3-suiter

Very few pairs add more than 5 hand types here. I think the Yeti is suggesting playing with 6 types (both of those in type 3) but not more. Even 6 is starting to push it imho.

A workaround for EBU rules (which disallow weak-only multi except in a very high level competitions) is:-
2) Acol 2 with solid diamonds

This allows Responder to pass with any diamond figure in a weak hand since partner cannot have the strong variant. Playing on BBO there are no rules restricting the mini-multi which I personally think is much better than the traditional multi. :)
(-: Zel :-)

#40 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-16, 02:48

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-August-16, 02:23, said:

Most people I know play their multi as:-
2) Acol 2 in either minor
3) either strong balanced or strong 3-suiter

Very few pairs add more than 5 hand types here. I think the Yeti is suggesting playing with 6 types (both of those in type 3) but not more. Even 6 is starting to push it imho.

I'm suggesting weak 2, 2N type and strong 4441 any singleton, I don't include the strong 2 minor. If I include the minor I don't include the 4441, only 3 basic types. The one I really dislike is strong 2 any suit which I have seen.

What I was trying to say quite clumsily was that over intervention, provided you keep your 4441s up to strength, you don't lose a whole lot by occasionally having to take the same action with the 4441 as you do with the strong balanced, and it removes some awkward hands from the rest of your system. In the unopposed auction, it gets them off your chest very easily and accurately (occasionally at the cost of being one too high when partner has a bust, but at least you usually play in the right suit).

Think about this way, EVEN very well defined, precision 1♥ opening, will have problems vs an overcall or preempt, and you are expecting us to believe by simply saying u did not have a particular problem with opponents getting into auction, when your opening bid already started at 2 level and has variety of hands starting from very weak to very strong hands, from balanced to very wild shapes.... Cmon now

It would be more convincing if you told me you will bring peace to middle east

Yes, but a precision 1 gets overcalled much more often than a multi. If you have 11 points, the chance of the next hand having 11+ and a good suit is much higher than if you have 18 or 20. the reason I didn't have much of a problem is that we rarely got overcalled as people don't want to overcall or preempt with an 8 count if you have a weak 2, so need an opening hand and don't often have it.

Also a number of the multi defences involve passing some hands that could overcall and you tend to frighten them off when you show the strong type.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users