• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pre-empted matchpoints, local club game

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-15, 21:01

I was playing with an absolute beginner (I taught my younger cousin to play yesterday and we went to a club today). We had the following auction all white:

(3S)-P-(4S)-??

I held:

6, K85, A74, AQ9763

Should I have bid or passed? What if 3 spades had been passed around to me?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-August-15, 21:46

BunnyGo, on 2011-August-15, 21:01, said:

I was playing with an absolute beginner (I taught my younger cousin to play yesterday and we went to a club today). We had the following auction all white:

(3S)-P-(4S)-??

I held:

6, K85, A74, AQ9763

Should I have bid or passed? What if 3 spades had been passed around to me?

Playing with someone who knows what they are doing, you might double (hoping your side can make a five-level contract, or that they can make 4, or that partner wants to pass out a double). Then they might bid 4NT to say "I don't want to pass this out, but then again I don't have a good idea of where we should play" after which you can bid 5. However with your cousin, he would probably bid 5 or 5 with a four-card suit, or he might not recognise when he wants to pass out the double, or he might pass the double out from sheer panic, so passing it out would be better.

If 3 got passed round to you, double is fine. If you end up playing in 4 with a 4-3 fit, at least the shortage is in the short trump hand so you (he) won't get forced off, plus you might not necessarily have a better club fit if you have a 4-3 heart fit, and if you do, the price of finding it is having to play a level higher. Also the lack of 4 raise makes the chance partner really wants to pass out a double a little bit more likely.
I Transfers

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-16, 06:00

I pass. RHO could easily be bidding this to make here. Partner still has another shot.

If it went (3)-p(p) I would consider this an easy 4 bid.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-16, 08:16

Quantumcat, on 2011-August-15, 21:46, said:

Playing with someone who knows what they are doing, you might double (hoping your side can make a five-level contract, or that they can make 4, or that partner wants to pass out a double). Then they might bid 4NT to say "I don't want to pass this out, but then again I don't have a good idea of where we should play" after which you can bid 5. However with your cousin, he would probably bid 5 or 5 with a four-card suit, or he might not recognise when he wants to pass out the double, or he might pass the double out from sheer panic, so passing it out would be better.

I agree with this.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-16, 10:42

A raw beginner will very likely leave in any double, whether of 3 or 4. Under the circumstances, I think your choices are pass or 5. Anyway it is a good lesson hand for the beginner.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users