• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB description strikes again

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-28, 23:47

http://tinyurl.com/3n4p57x

4NT was alerted when I bid it as BLACKWOOD (for ), not RKC or 1430. I wasn't sure if GIB screwed up the bidding, was actually bidding Blackwood, or was playing 1430 or 0314. As you can see, I figured either it was Blackwood or was 1430, and failed completely.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2011-August-29, 00:04

I think GIB was thinking quite clever when you started off with 1NT and then jumped to 4NT.
That could never be blackwood because you maximized your hand and GIB showed nothing extra.
Conclusion: South is looking for a minor suit, let's bid the longest.

When you had begun with 2 and raised 2 to 3 there would have been lots of room to look for the best slam.
You cannot blame GIB this time!
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-29, 00:15

The only form of Blackwood GIB plays is RKC 3014. If you ever see an explanation that says Blackwood, this is what it means. Even the auction 1-4NT is RKC, even though most experts play this as ordinary Blackwood (they would first make their game forcing raise then bid 4NT to use RKC).

But you almost certainly confused it. Forcing NT in 2/1 Game Forcing is limited to invitational strength.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-29, 01:59

View Postdicklont, on 2011-August-29, 00:04, said:

I think GIB was thinking quite clever when you started off with 1NT and then jumped to 4NT. That could never be blackwood because you maximized your hand and GIB showed nothing extra. Conclusion: South is looking for a minor suit, let's bid the longest.

This is all pure nonsense. Although (as both Dicklont and Barmar pointed out) you are expected to make a game-forcing bid with your game-forcing hand at your first opportunity, GIB did understand 4NT as RKC() and answered accordingly.

I'm curious to hear from others as to whether this is one of those situations where RKC responder is supposed to bid over the apparent sign-off when he has 3, not 0, keycards.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-29, 03:49

View Postbarmar, on 2011-August-29, 00:15, said:

Even the auction 1-4NT is RKC, even though most experts play this as ordinary Blackwood

[Citation needed]

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-August-29, 01:59, said:

I'm curious to hear from others as to whether this is one of those situations where RKC responder is supposed to bid over the apparent sign-off when he has 3, not 0, keycards.

No, more like one of those situations where RKC responder is supposed to look for a new partner. I mean he bid 1NT and you have 15 points... if he has a real 1NT bid you'll be happy to even make 5.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-August-29, 04:40

Whatever form GIB uses for blackwood 03/14 or 14/30 or just 0,4/1/2/3, the respond of 5 is explained in mouseover rectangle.

You don't need to hesitate whether it was 03/14, the bid will provide you information.

you should see something like: Zero or three key cards -- 4+ H; 5+ S; 11+ HCP; 12-18 total points; 3- controls

Removing 3 key card possibility ( which are A,K and A) GIB opening must have
KJxxxJxxxQJx Q
or KJxxxJxxxQJ Qx = 10HCP not quite enough to open 1

And why should responder consider correction the contract based on having 3 then 0 or having 4 then 1 KC answer. He must assume his partner revealed his answer already. Even if you have not mentioned void, you better think for improving bidding continuation carrying more information then aiming at the final.

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 05:38

View Postgeorgi, on 2011-August-29, 04:40, said:

Whatever form GIB uses for blackwood 03/14 or 14/30 or just 0,4/1/2/3, the respond of 5 is explained in mouseover rectangle.

I thought this doesn't apply to the express tournaments.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2011-August-29, 07:24

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-August-29, 05:38, said:

I thought this doesn't apply to the express tournaments.

Correct for Express, but you can see explanations of your calls if your partner is replaced with GIB. Supposedly GIB are only subs there, so you should handle with human partner like in normal tournament.

However you can approach the CC loaded for your pair.
It's written RKC 0314.

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-August-29, 07:54

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-August-29, 03:49, said:

View Postbarmar, on 2011-August-29, 00:15, said:

Even the auction 1-4NT is RKC, even though most experts play this as ordinary Blackwood
[Citation needed]

Or, were you looking for a citation on the "most experts" part? There's an inconclusive discussion of that in the "which splinter" thread.

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-August-29, 08:20

View Postgeorgi, on 2011-August-29, 04:40, said:

GIB never uses 1430; please don't confuse the issue by mentioning that possibility.

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 08:33

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-August-29, 07:54, said:

Or, were you looking for a citation on the "most experts" part? There's an inconclusive discussion of that in the "which splinter" thread.

Yeah, for the "most experts" part. I mean, I find it hard to think of a hand where an expert would even have that auction, but that's another matter.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-29, 13:16

If I felt like searching, I'm sure I could find threads in General Bridge Forum and rec.games.bridge to support it. The hands where they would bid an immediate Blackwood are pretty rare freaks. But the general idea is that you don't need two different auctions that mean the same thing; if 1-2NT-<anything>-4NT is RKC, it's wasteful for 1-4NT also to be RKC.

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 15:27

View Postbarmar, on 2011-August-29, 13:16, said:

If I felt like searching, I'm sure I could find threads in General Bridge Forum and rec.games.bridge to support it. The hands where they would bid an immediate Blackwood are pretty rare freaks. But the general idea is that you don't need two different auctions that mean the same thing; if 1-2NT-<anything>-4NT is RKC, it's wasteful for 1-4NT also to be RKC.

Good point, you've convinced me that 1M-4NT should show 6-6 in the minors. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 16:50

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-August-29, 07:54, said:

on a hand like this cant 5 possibly be bid since you do have extra length, to compensate for the Q doesnt seem likely
partner would bid 4NT without four hearts though life would have been easier if south had bid 2NT

#15 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 23:43

The main reason I bid 1NT was that I was expecting a NT contract, and so I wanted to play it (it was an express tournament by the way). None of GIB's bids came up with an explanation, so I had to guess at what GIB meant by its response. Since it had always come up as RKC before when I used it, I never actually looked at the GIB CC to see if it used 0314 or 1403. That was the main idea of this post.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users