Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Make the Slam Labor Day Sectional

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-03, 08:41

Playing A/X against good opponents you get the lead the annoying lead of the J. Obviously, I needed to avoid a trump loser and a loser. I considered the following lines.

1. Play to the Ace, take a pitch and hook trumps. Hoping to play trumps for 0 losers and play from thr top for 1 loser.
2. Play A, ruff a , ruff a and play trumps. This works if Qx(x) and trumps play for no more than 1 loser.
3. Play Ace and bang down the Jack.
4. Play to the Ace, take a pitch and hook and ruff a .
5. Hook the Q planning to set up .

Line 5 seems like a bad idea, entry problems and such, so I tossed it away without thinking it through completely.

Result down 1, how should I have played it?

#2 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-03, 10:27

Well, I might be wrong, but I suspect that if the leader is leading trumps he thinks hearts aren't running. That means he isn't sitting on xxx probably more like Q9xx. That being my assumption, I'll try line #3.

As I said, I might be wrong.

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-03, 14:32

A singleton Jack much less Jx would be a very strange lead on this auction, but QJ doubleton or even QJ9/QJ8 would be more common, especially if we think dummy is coming down with two trump, or three and declarer needs to ruff a heart.

Therefore, any plan that involves finessing RHO for the trump should be discounted.

As far as taking a heart finesse is concerned, I think there is a partial inference that LHO led a trump because they hold heart length. As VM states, Q9xx is a good reason, because even one trump lead might set up a trick if partner has Jxx or even Txx. Therefore, I like playing LHO for the Q.

So I will play A, J. This seems better than A, K, ruff to see if you can ruff out the suit and then fall back on KJx of diamonds onside.

I don't like any of the other lines.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-03, 16:01

[sorry, nonsense]
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-03, 16:56

View Postgnasher, on 2011-September-03, 16:01, said:

[sorry, nonsense]

Please we wanna see it :P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-05, 07:06

View PostPhil, on 2011-September-03, 14:32, said:

A singleton Jack much less Jx would be a very strange lead on this auction, but QJ doubleton or even QJ9/QJ8 would be more common, especially if we think dummy is coming down with two trump, or three and declarer needs to ruff a heart.

Therefore, any plan that involves finessing RHO for the trump should be discounted.

As far as taking a heart finesse is concerned, I think there is a partial inference that LHO led a trump because they hold heart length. As VM states, Q9xx is a good reason, because even one trump lead might set up a trick if partner has Jxx or even Txx. Therefore, I like playing LHO for the Q.

So I will play A, J. This seems better than A, K, ruff to see if you can ruff out the suit and then fall back on KJx of diamonds onside.

I don't like any of the other lines.

OMG someone agreed with me!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users