More Logical Alternatives

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-October-05, 18:03

2 is one round force

3 is splinter showing around (14)15+

6 is obviously odd when partner could have made a simple forcing 3 bid. Partner is relatively inexperienced.

What actions do you consider? Presumably Pass and 7 are the likely alternatives but some might not consider one or the other.

Are there any other actions that you consider?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-October-05, 18:08

Consider biding again...no way ever.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-05, 18:16

i consider 7 and 7. i'd go for 7 diamonds at imps and 7 spades at pairs.

i presume partner said 3 was natural or didn't alert, but i wouldn't say that suggests bidding anything so the question of what is or isn't a logical alternative is somewhat moot.

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-October-05, 18:30

View Postwank, on 2011-October-05, 18:16, said:

i consider 7 and 7. i'd go for 7 diamonds at imps and 7 spades at pairs.

i presume partner said 3 was natural or didn't alert, but i wouldn't say that suggests bidding anything so the question of what is or isn't a logical alternative is somewhat moot.

Oh yeah I forgot that 7 is also a consideration.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-05, 18:56

Only call I would consider would be 7S; must assume, no matter what partner did, that my bid meant to him what it meant to me. Anything other than a grand is not logical. For whatever reason people have considering 7D, fine; I wouldn't.

Partner doesn't know my suit quality, whether I have a stiff or a void in hearts, whether I have the top Diamond, or whether I have the Club bullet, let alone the king. Whichever one of those (or two) might complete the grand, I have it.

7S is automatic, even if he described my spade suit as solid for the 3H rebid; I am not allowed to know he said that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-October-06, 10:14

I would consider pass, 7 and 7, and choose 7.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#7 User is offline   sasioc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-06, 10:43

I too would consider pass, 7 and 7. I think I'll pass with probability ~10%, depending on how well I know my partner and bid 7 the rest of the time.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-October-06, 11:22

Anyone considering 7? If this is pairs, you may want to be in 7NT if partner has A. Or maybe 7 should be the way to get there -- this has to show a void and imply controls in the minors.

Which is presumably where this is leading: there's UI indicating that partner thinks the heart bid was natural, so he might take 7 as showing the ace rather than asking for it, which suggests that you should avoid this confusing bid.

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-October-06, 11:33

View Postbarmar, on 2011-October-06, 11:22, said:

Anyone considering 7? If this is pairs, you may want to be in 7NT if partner has A. Or maybe 7 should be the way to get there -- this has to show a void and imply controls in the minors.

Which is presumably where this is leading: there's UI indicating that partner thinks the heart bid was natural, so he might take 7 as showing the ace rather than asking for it, which suggests that you should avoid this confusing bid.

Interesting thought. With a more experienced partner or in a more practiced partnership perhaps this would make sense.

However opposite an inexperienced partner I would never try something so subtle UI or not.

Indeed there was UI from a failure to alert, then a thought that perhaps she should alert, then finally an obvious decision to not alert the 3 bid.
Wayne Burrows

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-October-06, 11:43

Yeah, I forgot about the issue of partner's inexperience, and fixated on the potential UI issue.

Although an inexperienced player might just not be sure if splinter is alertable or not, so the UI doesn't necessarily suggest a misunderstanding. You might not be in real trouble unless an opponent asks about the 3 bid during the auction.

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-October-06, 16:05

View Postbarmar, on 2011-October-06, 11:43, said:

Yeah, I forgot about the issue of partner's inexperience, and fixated on the potential UI issue.

Although an inexperienced player might just not be sure if splinter is alertable or not, so the UI doesn't necessarily suggest a misunderstanding. You might not be in real trouble unless an opponent asks about the 3 bid during the auction.

I think but my memory is a bit hazy now.

There was no alert.

We use written bidding so the player leaned forward to make an alert then stopped.

There was then a question.

The answer initially indicated it might be a splinter then she changed her mind.

Eventually she said natural or the equivalent and did not alert.

The opponent passed and there was more thought and eventually a 6 bid.

Just to be clear I meant the subtlety of expecting a bid of 7 to guarantee both minor aces.
Wayne Burrows

#12 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-06, 16:19

I would think about the auction and consider and bid only 7S.

#13 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-06, 16:29

View PostCascade, on 2011-October-06, 16:05, said:

Just to be clear I meant the subtlety of expecting a bid of 7 to guarantee both minor aces.

That's pretty subtle. More importantly, partner is likely to bid 7 even with the A. We know the diamonds are more likely to run in NT than partner does, so we should be asking for a cue rather than showing our aces.

With an inexperienced partner, 7 looks to be the right action. Opposite someone who is experienced enough, I try 7.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users