• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Web for 11 tables

#1 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2011-October-07, 02:32

These days it's easy to have multiple board sets available to minimise sharing.
I want 11 tables to play a 2-winner mitchell-type movement over 9 rounds, 27 boards in play.

Possible is a Bowman, which I haven't tried.
As I understand it, a set rotates around 1-9 while T10 & T11 can share the 2nd set, T10 playing boards in the usual order, T11 in reverse.
No sharing except R5 when both (appendix) tables are looking to grab 13-15. Can live with that.

Is there another (simpler?) way to do this? Can a web work for 11 tables? I only know of webs for even numbers.
If so, how?

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-October-07, 03:00

To play a (27 board) web with an odd number of tables you need to take-off 9 tables
to leave an even number of tables and then do a web movement with those tables.

In your case (11 tables) this reduces to what you have already described.

I like to give table 10 boards 1-12, and get them to pass the boards to table 9,
table 11 starts with 25-27, 22-24, 19-21, 16-18, and board come out of play at table 1.

In round 5, tables 10, 11, and 1 are sharing two sets of 13-15;
so start each table with a different board (13,14,15).

In round 6, table 10 has 16-27 from table 11, still passing to table 9,
and table 11 has 1-12 (played in reverse) from table 1,
boards from table 1 are permenantly out of play.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-07, 03:10

View Postshevek, on 2011-October-07, 02:32, said:

These days it's easy to have multiple board sets available to minimise sharing.
I want 11 tables to play a 2-winner mitchell-type movement over 9 rounds, 27 boards in play.

Possible is a Bowman, which I haven't tried.
As I understand it, a set rotates around 1-9 while T10 & T11 can share the 2nd set, T10 playing boards in the usual order, T11 in reverse.
No sharing except R5 when both (appendix) tables are looking to grab 13-15. Can live with that.

Is there another (simpler?) way to do this? Can a web work for 11 tables? I only know of webs for even numbers.
If so, how?

In this instance a web movement is identical to a Bowman. Your description of it above is accurate. I use it quite frequently and find it works well.

The more general explanation of how web movements work for odd numbers of tables is as follows:

Put out one complete set of boards on the lowest numbered tables. The remaining few tables will be an even number. Put a second (and third if you want to avoid any board sharing) set of boards on them as though they were their own mini-web section. Pairs move up as usual. Boards move down as usual, but with a relay at the bottom of each of the three parts of the movement.

Example for 19 tables with 13 board-sets:

Tables 1-13 start with board-sets 1-13. Tables 14-19 are treated as a six-table web movement, so get board-sets 1-3 on tables 14-16, set 2 on table 17, set 1 on table 18, and set 13 on table 19.

Pairs move up around the whole 19 tables. Boards move down around 1-13; a second set moves down around 14-16 (tables play them in normal ascending order); a third set moves down around 17-19 (tables will be playing them in reverse set order).

For convenience you can combine the first two sets of boards so that you feed in from the relay at T16 and pass them down all the way to T1, where they come out and go to the relay.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2011-October-09, 20:58

Thx Robin & Gordon

Nick

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic