BBO Discussion Forums: Weak NO Trump and 1444 12-14 hands hands - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak NO Trump and 1444 12-14 hands hands

#21 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-November-03, 10:52

Free, on 2011-November-03, 03:08, said:

Why "some"? When do you do it, and when not? (if we want to help B/I we need to give an explanation ;) )

Whoops I didn't notice it was B/I forum. I might not have responded if I had known as I am not sure recommending opening 4441 hands to beginners is very wise.

Basically our philosophy is that anything that is hard to rebid and close to traditional balanced is a candidate for a 1NT opening.

1444 and 4441 hands, especially 4441 hands are awkward as if you open one suit and then rebid a lower suit with this one low frequency exception you are promising five cards in the first bid suit. This is particularly a problem with 4441 hands since we open four-card majors and opening 1 and rebidding 2 over the anticipated 2 response suggests five or more hearts.

With 4144 and 4414 hands the problems are not so emphasized since we can rebid at the one-level 1/ 1; 1 in the first case and 1 1; 1 in the second over the anticipated response in our short suit. Also in both of these cases partner is not so inclined to give a preference to our first bid since since it is a minor and is more likely to strain to rebid 1NT with a three (or even two) card preference for our first bid suit.

Nevertheless there are problem hands. AQxx AQJx x xxxx with a poor four-card club suit we are likely to prefer 1NT. Also any hand with a stiff high honour - Ace, King or Queen - we will consider 1NT.

There are some disadvantages for our side to opening 1NT with these hands. We can miss our best fit (or non-fit). In particular when partner transfers out into our singleton and either insists on playing in that denomination at a higher level or passes. However we claw some of this back given the preemptive nature of the weak no trump. The real advantage to putting these awkward hands in our 1NT opening is that our one-level suit openings have improved definition.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#22 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-03, 13:20

Personally I am shocked that anyone considers passing a viable option. It 's a prime 12 count with three potential places to play. Partner does not always bid spades; somtimes when he does there is still a fit elsewhere; even when not it's not automatically a disaster. Furthermore LHO is almost as likely to bid spades as partner, in which case partner is much better off if I have opened (possible negative double, etc). Compare this to passing now then trying vainly to convince partner I can possible hold this much, or being shut out completely .. bleh.

For me it is obvious 1. Of course other systems may have other bids for this, but pass seems like a clear loser.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users