• You cannot reply to this topic

VOID LEADS

#1 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-December-08, 06:41

Often, I tend to adopt rules and principles which generate good results. For example, certain trump leads are good, but never a trump lead against trump slams-- we would hope they have trumps to burn in a slam.

But some folks use a principle which I have never seen work: the blind lead looking for partner void.

Sometimes I have opened a suit, or overcalled a suit, so with more cards in a suit i have a fairly good chance of having a tenace. If partner is going to make a blind lead, then lead my suit that way I will not complain even if it is a disaster.

I remember one partner one time leading 4th best from a 7 card diamond suit topped by AKJx, I had 2 little xs and the singlton queen in dummy took a trick.

Why dont you lead the Ace?
I was trying to find your void

But if she did lead the ace, and found my void, well, then i get my ruff anyhow, or she gets her king as count can be given by the dummy.

Still, I have never been pleased when partners lead to hit my void, and i have never seen anyone in a book or a forum, a thread named: VOID DISCOVERY LEADS.

Perhaps because they dont work?

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-08, 09:50

View Postbabalu1997, on 2011-December-08, 06:41, said:

Often, I tend to adopt rules and principles which generate good results. For example, certain trump leads are good, but never a trump lead against trump slams-- we would hope they have trumps to burn in a slam.

But some folks use a principle which I have never seen work: the blind lead looking for partner void.

Sometimes I have opened a suit, or overcalled a suit, so with more cards in a suit i have a fairly good chance of having a tenace. If partner is going to make a blind lead, then lead my suit that way I will not complain even if it is a disaster.

I remember one partner one time leading 4th best from a 7 card diamond suit topped by AKJx, I had 2 little xs and the singlton queen in dummy took a trick.

Why dont you lead the Ace?
I was trying to find your void

But if she did lead the ace, and found my void, well, then i get my ruff anyhow, or she gets her king as count can be given by the dummy.

Still, I have never been pleased when partners lead to hit my void, and i have never seen anyone in a book or a forum, a thread named: VOID DISCOVERY LEADS.

Perhaps because they dont work?

I'd have more sympathy for underleading the AK if *I* had a void and needed to get you in to give me a ruff. I think that making a bad lead to hope that partner has a void *and* didn't make a lightner double is too big a parlay.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-December-08, 14:06

I hate leading voids. I never seem to be able to get a good grip on the card(s) that I don't have.

I also get annoyed when partner fails to make the winning lead and his excuse was that he was void in the suit. My response usually is "but you didn't even try!"

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-December-08, 19:17

Voids don't happen so often that it makes sense to assume partner has one.

#5 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2011-December-08, 19:20

View Postbabalu1997, on 2011-December-08, 06:41, said:

...certain trump leads are good, but never a trump lead against trump slams...

Why? Often against a slam you'll want to make a passive lead which won't give them an easy trick they'd otherwise have to work or guess for - which is usually a trump.

I really don't think you can have any hard and fast rules about leading. Each hand must be judged on its merits, and what the bidding has suggested. It's probably one of the most inexact sciences of Bridge. International tournaments can be decided on the choice of lead on a particular hand.

Occasionally (though probably rarely), hoping to find P with a void in the suit led may be the best bet.

I guess they were hoping to find you with Q and had a void themself, which they were hoping you'd find on the return. It might have been (as far as they could see) the best chance of defeating the contract.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-08, 21:41

A long time ago a noted curmudgeon screamed at his partner "the auction calls for a heart lead, why didn't you lead one."

She replied "For the same reason I don't scratch my balls."
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users