BBO Discussion Forums: "Weak" or "Weak to Intermediate"? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Weak" or "Weak to Intermediate"? EBU-land

#1 User is offline   Pig Trader 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-16, 13:17

On another forum on the subject of natural Weak 2 openings ...

"According to the Orange book, where, for example an agreement is that the range is 6-12, this should be announced as 'weak to intermediate'. Whether 6-11 should be so described - I don't know."

Neither do I. I consider 11 HCP to be Intermediate in this context but have no basis for doing so as I can't find any definition in the OB for where Weak finishes and Intermediate starts. Any advice on what folks playing 6-11 should announce in EBU-land?

TIA
Barrie :rolleyes:
Barrie Partridge, England

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-16, 13:35

IMO, no matter what the jurisdiction, bids should be described in terms of range and/or shape...not labelled; and that should be the rule.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-16, 13:36

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-January-16, 13:35, said:

IMO, no matter what the jurisdiction, bids should be described in terms of range and/or shape...not labelled; and that should be the rule.

Normally an announcement is more succinct than that though. Announcements are, in fact, usually one word.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-16, 13:48

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-16, 13:36, said:

Normally an announcement is more succinct than that though. Announcements are, in fact, usually one word.

Am not familiar with jurisdictions where natural opening bids are announced rather than alerted. But if EBU is one of those, my statement stands as to my opinion of what "should" happen.....I have no idea what does happen over there.

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-16, 16:30

Since for many EBU players 10hcp is too strong for a weak two, I think 6-11 should probably be announced as weak-to-intermediate. After all, for most players an 11 count and a six-card suit is a one-opener. In any case, making the wider announcement seems less likely to cause problems or mislead.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   Pig Trader 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-16, 18:13

Thanks, Gordon. That sounds very sensible advice. Cheers,

Barrie :rolleyes:
Barrie Partridge, England

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-January-16, 23:36

(ACBL land) When I open a 2x and the opponents ask, is that weak? My partner always responds with 'it is preemptive , 5-10' rather than simply responding with 'yes, it's weak'.
At times an opponent will continue with 'so it's weak?' and again, my partner will repeat "it is preemptive, 5-10, you may consider it weak but I don't define it that way"

I usually respond to the question with a yes, but I would be better describing the bid.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-January-17, 03:22

Opening odd weak 2s that can be 4 card suits and having taken instruction on these boards on what needs announcing for those, in this case I'd announce it as "Weak but up to 11 points" or "Weak 6 to 11".

#9 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 08:36

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-16, 13:36, said:

I've used the one word "weakish" when playing this sort of weak 2 (specifically 7-11), which I think has got the message across reasonably well, but perhaps I will try to use Gordon's suggestion of weak-to-intermediate when playing against people who I think may be less familiar with the idea of constructive 2s.

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-17, 11:32

I would think that "constructive weak" might fit well. I wonder about "weak-to-intermediate" when what I mean is "Schenken weak 2s" - some 11s (12s) aren't the same as other 11s (12s), though. It might give the wrong impression - but if "W-I" is becoming the standard explanation for "1960s weak 2s", now, then there won't be any confusion.

Jillybean - when asked, you are required to give full disclosure, no matter what the question was (ACBL Alert Procedure). Yes, I know nobody does that. So what your partner is doing is correct (even if infuriating to some opponents). When I'm asked, I also discuss my partnership style (because it can be *very different* - I've said on more than one occasion "I've had hands I'd go to game with <partnerA>, but pass 2M with <partnerB> and hope she makes it." - but "5-10" is correct for HCP with both). "Weak 2, highly undisciplined" "Standard weak, but could be a good 5-card suit, a bad 7-card suit, or any 6".

I will admit to some guilty pleasure when they ask when I open 2, as explained in the other thread.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-17, 12:07

I grew up within a Bridge environment where "intermediate" meant somewhere between a minimum opening bid and a jump shift. That means nothing to the context of this thread, other than a further example of why I dislike labels being used in disclosure.

Also, I don't have nearly the aversion to "Is it weak?" because when they ask I don't assume they are conveying UI (over here, anyway). 2, in particular, is so commonly something other than a weak two, that I admit taking an extra second to make sure there isn't going to be an alert. I suspect others just jump in and ask because of that. No big deal.

#12 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-January-17, 12:15

Of course Announcements do not provide Full Disclosure. But they have proved an effective and popular solution to the natural 2-bid problem, so complaining because they are not Full Disclosure seems pointless. Players know to ask or consult the SC if they want Full Disclosure.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users