BBO Discussion Forums: We screwed this up, decisions analysis needed - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We screwed this up, decisions analysis needed

#21 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-31, 23:01

highlow i'm afraid you're rather mistaken.

if advancer has significantly more clubs than spades in a weak hand he'll choose to play in clubs, despite requiring an extra trick (on this auction he will often be 6-2 or 6-3 in the blacks). as such 'forcing to the 3-level' doesn't show any extra values in itself, though if they're playing lebensohl here then fine they have 2 ways to show clubs.

anyway, returning to the land of common sense, i agree that this hand is strong enough to cue, lebensohl or no lebensohl.

#22 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-January-31, 23:17

wank, on 2012-January-31, 23:01, said:

highlow i'm afraid you're rather mistaken.

What both of you say is true :)
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-31, 23:44

When I typed the example hand earlier I meant to include 1 fewer clubs and 1 more diamond.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#24 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-January-31, 23:52

HighLow21, on 2012-January-31, 21:54, said:

Yes, he might, especially given that the TO double distorts your shape. It suggests at least 6 cards in the unbid suits.

Also, he would never respond 2S with that specific hand. He might though if he held (S) Jxxx (H) 10 (D) 9x © 10xxxxx.

Sorry, but it is nonsense to say that the 3 club bid shows extra values because it forces to the 3 level.
It is also incorrect to say that "Technically he was too strong for 1H overcall originally. Most modern bidders double first anytime they have 17+. Overcaller's actual hand was 17 HCP including no jacks at all, and 3 aces. It is a super-maximum overcall.".
If anything, the range for an overcall has increased. It is not surprising to see overcalls on 18 counts or so.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#25 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 00:20

the hog, on 2012-January-31, 23:52, said:

Sorry, but it is nonsense to say that the 3 club bid shows extra values because it forces to the 3 level.

Not at all. If you are weak with a 3 card suit and a 4 card suit and can't stand the double then you might choose 2 rather than 3.

And by inference that means 3 shows something better than nothing, even if that something extra is a 5th in a Yarborough.

[Edited to add final sentence]

This post has been edited by Statto: 2012-February-01, 00:25

A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-February-01, 00:27

Statto, on 2012-February-01, 00:20, said:

Not at all. If you are weak with a 3 card suit and a 4 card suit and can't stand the double then you might choose 2 rather than 3.

Statto, he made a comment that 3C shows extra values. It DOES NOT! (Unless you play some form of Lebensohl, but that was never in the discussion). Does a 3C bid on xxx x xx xxxxxxx show extra values
You might bid 2S with 3S in a relatively flatish hand, sure, no one is denying that. With your quoted example of 3S and 4C, there are still 7 red cards outstanding. It seems to me that responder might be more liely to have a preference to H on a doubleton or pass 2DX on many 3-1-5-4 shapes.
Please read and interpret posts correctly before commenting.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#27 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 00:32

the hog, on 2012-February-01, 00:27, said:

Does a 3C bid on xxx x xx xxxxxxx show extra values

Yes, it shows extra length. (I probably extended my previous post as u were replying B-))

It's either extra length or a few values to justify a normal 3 bid.

[Edit: added another sentence again]

This post has been edited by Statto: 2012-February-01, 00:36

#28 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 00:56

the hog, on 2012-February-01, 00:27, said:

It seems to me that responder might be more liely to have a preference to H on a doubleton or pass 2DX on many 3-1-5-4 shapes.

Could not advancer have a pile of useless in a dreadful hand that in no way wants to defend 2X, or something approaching that?

Please read and interpret posts correctly before commenting.

I did, thanks. Did you really mean to say that?

#29 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 03:21

I said more than a minimum, and that can include having extra shape or length. But usually, to go on to 3-level shows something beyond a horrible 4-3-3-3 hand with 2 jacks and out, for example. Given that the minimum for responding to a takeout double is 0 points and no good shape at all, going on to the 3 level requries SOMETHING, even if it's simply 5 clubs.

I'm not making this up, I'm just quoting Terence Reese on that. In a pinch I might go 3C if I had a worthless hand with 5 clubs and 3 spades, but not with a worthless hand with 4 clubs and 3 spades.

This is why I say the takeout double the 2nd time around is wrong. It only provides 2 card support for the other unbid major. I believe the overcaller bid wrong BOTH times; he's too strong for the original heart overcall, but I can see why the hand might be downgraded from a strong double to a pure overcall--no points in the 6-card suit.

However, it sets the overcaller up for a much worse call at his 2nd turn, the double, showing more support in the black suits (and definitely more spade support... as we have discussed, partner may be flat broke with a 4-card spade suit to the 10xxx).
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#30 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-01, 10:28

Highlow: More free stuff for you today.

Suit symbols can be typed by using the brackets "[ ]" with sp, he, di and cl put in the middle.

, , , .

(Warning: you will be tarred and feathered if you get cute and start stringing hearts together).
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#31 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-01, 10:59

aguahombre, on 2012-January-31, 17:52, said:

a 2C advance of the 1H overcall looks like what the OP describes it would be...constructive but non-forcing. Because South's 3C later must be less than this, it properly ended the auction in North's eyes. However, because 2C would be a borderline decision we would just chalk it up to "oh,well" if we didn't choose 2C and not consider it "screwing up", rather just South choosing the low road.

Well, if I were to bid over 1, it would be 1 :)

(Unless pard overcalls michaels on 54s on a regular basis, of course.)

#32 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-February-01, 13:14

Statto, on 2012-February-01, 00:20, said:

And by inference that means 3 shows something better than nothing, even if that something extra is a 5th in a Yarborough.

[Edited to add final sentence]

I can't think of a hand with 3 spades and 4 clubs that would bid 2S. If I am 3=2=4=4 I bid 2H. If I am 3=1=5=4 I pass 2Dx. 2S will always show 4 of them. 3C will always show 5 of them.

#33 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-February-01, 13:16

It's always harder to assign blame when you can see both hands.

I gave the South hand to Jallerton, and he bid 3D in response to the double. He then couldn't decide whether to pull 3NT or not.
The North hand has a horrible problem on the first round. Don't tell anyone, but I also am tempted by the warped 1NT overcall. However, it's hard to say that 1H is technically wrong.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users