BBO Discussion Forums: Long Diamonds - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Long Diamonds

Poll: Long Diamonds (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

2. 5 Diamonds (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Abstain - previous bidding unacceptable (16 votes [84.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Adobe BC 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-February-02, 15:26

Matchpoints. 2 was alerted and explained (correctly) as one minor or one major and one minor. 2 was announced as a transfer to . Double showed . As East, do you wish to compete further?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-02, 15:41

View PostAdobe BC, on 2012-February-02, 15:26, said:

Matchpoints. 2 was alerted and explained (correctly) as one minor or one major and one minor. 2 was announced as a transfer to . Double showed . As East, do you wish to compete further?

May i ask what was East thinking, when he decided to go slowly, at these colors and with semi solid 8 card suit and with no defense trick on side ?

1NT - 2 5
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-02, 16:49

I voted for the non-abstain 5, but I was wondering why we didn't bid it the first time too. Plainly a direct 5D must show a good hand :)
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-February-02, 17:21

Super easy 4D overcall the first time. I am not sure what the 5D overcallers are thinking.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-February-02, 17:33

I rarely bid 4minor with an 8 card suit because I usually feel as if I need to do more when the opps accept the 'transfer' into 4major.

However:

1. This is an easy double of 5 most times. They may collect 300 against no game, or 800 against 620/650.
2. Because opener is well-defined and 4 is descriptive I think that when we belong in 5, partner is well-positioned to make the call

I used to reflexively bid 5 with these hand types white v red, but while I am trying to be more agressive in other aspects of my game, this is an area where I have learned that less is more.

Having been asked to fill in for the original player, I'm not bidding. I will have given them a fielder's choice....and so I will trust that my original decision was correct. And I will make a mental note to bid the limit of my preemptive hand sooner rather than later next time.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-02, 17:48

No doubt pass was slow. But finding peers of the East player will be tough. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-02, 18:16

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-February-02, 17:21, said:

Super easy 4D overcall the first time. I am not sure what the 5D overcallers are thinking.

We are bidding what we are going to bid at the end, at the first place. To me this is not a hand where i am annoyed to be doubled. In fact not at all. I have everything that a player would ask for for a 5 overcall, vulnerability, zero defense not even a suspicious jack, purity in my suit. If they double me and get every and each possible trick they can, i am -800. It is much more comfortable than bidding 4 and bailing out over 4 major with the hope that pd may double or pd may have 5 of their suit. Even if he does, its not guaranteed that he has enough tricks to defeat them imo.

Opener has at least 2 + 8 of mine. How many times pd with stiff or void can decide or figure the purity of my suit and make the neccesarry par bid ? And even if he did, opponents have a little more info about their fit (if they have any) will have better judgement.

I am not expecting 5 overcall to be popular, but i think you are being a little too harsh on 5 or perhaps i am the one who is bidding way too agressive as usual :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-February-03, 03:44

They opened 1N, it's not like they opened 1S. Partner can bid 5D also, maybe the opps cannot make anything and maybe partner will just rip 4S if they bid it. Preempting over 1N is a lot different than over 1M.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users