BBO Discussion Forums: GIB has a bidding misunderstanding with ... GIB? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB has a bidding misunderstanding with ... GIB?

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-10, 05:13

How in the heck does something like this happen???

Link
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-10, 10:48

I am sure someone will say it depends on the bots being used, if old style bots what their settings are etc.
GIB IS GIB.....I tend to play against GIBs on a monthly basis and there is a difference on wether I use GIBs by flash page vs old style GIB install program......if you look at all results especially on results from the main room where GIB is being played the results are pretty amazing at times.

But if you play in a GIB robot game like ACBL the results are more reliable, though I dont like the idea of always having the best hand at the table.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-13, 03:10

I was able to reproduce this with the advanced robots. The bidding database has the following comment:

; don't run back to a suit in which they have already doubled you unless the
; combined minimum length you know of is greater in the old suit (and at least
; 7) and you have at least one more card in it than already known

GIB interpreted South's double as penalty (I suspect he meant it as support, although most don't play support doubles over 2, and GIB has no way of knowing what he meant). Since West didn't meet the criteria to go back to , and it didn't have anywhere else to run, it defaulted to passing.

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 03:13

So to mess with the bots I just need to stick in a penalty double of their suit at a low level, and then they'll never "run" back there?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-13, 06:44

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-13, 03:10, said:

I was able to reproduce this with the advanced robots. The bidding database has the following comment:

; don't run back to a suit in which they have already doubled you unless the
; combined minimum length you know of is greater in the old suit (and at least
; 7) and you have at least one more card in it than already known

GIB interpreted South's double as penalty (I suspect he meant it as support, although most don't play support doubles over 2, and GIB has no way of knowing what he meant). Since West didn't meet the criteria to go back to , and it didn't have anywhere else to run, it defaulted to passing.

So why have that cue bid- remove it for those circumstances to reduce GIB confustion.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-13, 15:01

View Postcloa513, on 2012-March-13, 06:44, said:

So why have that cue bid- remove it for those circumstances to reduce GIB confustion.

Good point. If South makes a penalty double, it should redouble if it has a good raise -- why make a bid that forces the next level?

We don't currently have a meaning for this redouble, so it should be possible to add this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users