• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EBU Autumn Congress Soliciting opinions

#21 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:20

I actually don't have a ready WBF one, but due to the way I work on convention cards (with LaTeX; I do not own licenses for any Microsoft products such as Word or Windows) it would be much easier for me to fix up a WBF card than an EBU one. I was actually assuming that my system would be generally legal and just wondering about things such as whether to alert 1-1 or to announce it as "hearts". ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:28

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-October-03, 14:20, said:

I actually don't have a ready WBF one, but due to the way I work on convention cards (with LaTeX; I do not own licenses for any Microsoft products such as Word or Windows) it would be much easier for me to fix up a WBF card than an EBU one. I was actually assuming that my system would be generally legal and just wondering about things such as whether to alert 1-1 or to announce it as "hearts". ;)

You could always use pen and ink for the EBU one. A bit 20th century, but still viable and doesn't take long to get the basics on it.

You announce:
- 1NT openings
- Stayman 2C response to a 1NT opening (if you play Stayman, otherwise alert)
- 2D/2H red suit transfers in response to a 1NT opening
- natural opening 2 bids (weak/intermediate/strong)

Anything else (short 1C opening, transfer responses, transfer responses to NT overcalls or a 2NT opening) you alert.

No formal pre-alerts or post-alerts, but if you are playing unusual things such as transfer responses to 1C, put it on the front of the card under 'aspects of the system the opponents should note'

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 15:47

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-October-03, 14:28, said:

No formal pre-alerts or post-alerts, but if you are playing unusual things such as transfer responses to 1C, put it on the front of the card under 'aspects of the system the opponents should note'

If you are playing things like the above, funny 2-bids, artificial 1NT openings etc it is considered courteous to mention these to your opponents when you tell them your basic system.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-18, 11:48

Time to head for the airport. :)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#25 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-18, 14:06

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-October-18, 11:48, said:

Time to head for the airport. :)

See you tomorrow!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-19, 05:44

Viel Glück Michael!
(-: Zel :-)

#27 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-22, 04:00

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-October-19, 05:44, said:

Viel Glück Michael!

Well he managed to get two prizes - they qualified for the main pairs final and did well there, and they won the secondary final in the teams. I think he also managed to meet a few BBF posters - vampyr & lamford who won the secondary pairs final, and RMB1 who was directing along with me.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#28 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-22, 10:32

It was a very pleasant event, only marred slightly by the fact that the hotel was not as excellent as the rather steep room rate might have suggested. I enjoyed myself immensely as almost everyone was very friendly and tournament was very well run, thanks Gordon! Thanks also to jschafer for putting up with me for 3½ days, to sasioc and her partner for choosing the right day of the congress to play their best bridge on, and to lamford and vampyr for giving us a lift back to London after the tournament. I was also pleased to make the aquaintance of dburn, mickyb, wank and several others.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#29 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-October-25, 12:20

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-October-22, 10:32, said:

Thanks also to jschafer for putting up with me for 3½ days, to sasioc and her partner for choosing the right day of the congress to play their best bridge on, and to lamford and vampyr for giving us a lift back to London after the tournament. I was also pleased to make the aquaintance of dburn, mickyb, wank and several others.

Many of those named are pictured at http://www.ebu.co.uk...gress/Index.htm

(and an unnamed pair referred to by lamford in another thread)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users