BBO Discussion Forums: A hand from "Dormer on Deduction" - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A hand from "Dormer on Deduction"

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-April-18, 17:48

I was recently re-reading one of my favorite bridge books, Dormer on Deduction by Albert Dormer. I came across this hand, which was one of my favorites.

West leads the 8.

This awkward lead has prevented you from testing spades before falling back on the diamond finesse. So what's your plan? Take the hook, or hope for 3-3 spades?

Spoiler

Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-18, 18:18

it's all a bit tenuous, especially the part about not leading a black suit - give west anything resembling a sequence or 4ish+ small cards and he's perfectly likely to lead that.

still i never claim to understand bridge maths so i'm probably under-estimating the impact such small factors have on the aggregate %ages.

#3 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-19, 04:28

View Postdaveharty, on 2012-April-18, 17:48, said:

I was recently re-reading one of my favorite bridge books, Dormer on Deduction by Albert Dormer.

One of my favourites, too - I used to re-read bits of it before every big match to get me in the mood, until the hands became too familiar. It's been a while now, so maybe I'll start again, though I do still remember his point on this hand (which I think is an excellent one for making you think about the options an opponent has been faced with).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users