• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two dodgy 5m contracts ATB

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-20, 05:09

(Edited this to give more detail on our methods)

IMPs (teams of 4). Just ATB as per usual, and please save any comments about taking up marbles instead - after board 13 (not posted here - team-mates went down in a cold 3NT, we failed to beat the same after declarer misplayed) perhaps the entire team could consider it!

1) all vul

1NT = 12-14, 2D was a transfer to hearts. 5D was off 1 when the CK was offside.

Double of 2D shows values in the suit / asks for a diamond lead. Methods are that X of 2H by either player would have been penalty, 3H asking for a stop.

2) EW vul

East: "Didn't want to push them into 4H"
West: "Should I have tried 3NT, given my extra values?"

3H was -1, and 5C is a very lucky make.

3D/3H would show a good/very good raise in clubs respectively. Double by East would be takeout, guaranteeing 4 spades.

Someday I'm sure this partnership will reach county-level territory... :ph34r:

ahydra

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 05:41

Easy to criticise the first auction but more difficult to suggest a good one. However it is clear that East's expectation for the double of two diamonds was very different to West's. I'm not sure what they believe double should be in this position, but whatever it is I'm pretty sure West does not have it :) East's decision to jump to five diamonds looks premature too. But it is not an easy hand.

Hard to bid 3NT on the second hand but I think East should take the push to four clubs. Holding a side-suit ace and king that look like cashers, together with partner making a vulnerable two-level overcall, suggests that they are unlikely to make four hearts. The situation East should be thinking of protecting is when three hearts and four clubs are the making contracts.

I think East did have the option to bid three diamonds rather than three clubs initially. This should show good support and a diamond stop and perhaps this is the value bid - it depends what your overcalls can look like.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 06:38

Our agreement for double of 2D on the first one is the usual double-of-an-artificial-bid-shows-values-in-the-suit-and-asks-for-lead-of-that-suit. As for the second hand, we overcall with any decent 10 count (has to be a very decent 10 vul vs not), and 3D would show a good raise in clubs, nothing about diamonds.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 06:50

View Postahydra, on 2012-April-20, 06:38, said:

As for the second hand, we overcall with any decent 10 count (has to be a very decent 10 vul vs not), and 3D would show a good raise in clubs, nothing about diamonds.

Although I am not saying that East necessarily wishes to bid above three clubs, but if he did then, with two cue bids available, a sensible agreement is to use the one that you hold values in.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-April-20, 07:12

View Postahydra, on 2012-April-20, 06:38, said:

Our agreement for double of 2D on the first one is the usual double-of-an-artificial-bid-shows-values-in-the-suit-and-asks-for-lead-of-that-suit. As for the second hand, we overcall with any decent 10 count (has to be a very decent 10 vul vs not), and 3D would show a good raise in clubs, nothing about diamonds.

ahydra

Well if that is what the double shows, then I would ask why west doubled?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users