• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive problem Double dummy?

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-13, 09:39

OK, I think this not an easy hand to get right. If it turns out to be easy, I've posted it in the wrong forum.

The bidding probably doesn't count as expert,but your problem is to beat the contract however they got there.
You lead the 6 of hearts, 8, 10, Jack
Declarer cashes the AK of clubs (on which partner plays 9 J and you play 2 6) and then plays a diamond towards dummy. You put in a pip which holds the trick, partner playing the 4 (standard count, if anything).

Now what, and why?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 10:05

If declarer has 6 clubs and AJx of hearts we cannot beat him. This leads me to believe I need to play declarer for 5 clubs and AJx of hearts but that would be a 1N overcall (eg Ax AJx xxx AKxxx). I cannot think of any other possible heart holding for partner besides KTxxxx on the play of the king at trick 1.

So basically I have no clue how to beat this hand. I'm sure I'd just play a small diamond irl.

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 10:12

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-May-13, 09:39, said:

The bidding probably doesn't count as expert.

If this is the hand I think it is, we had the same auction at our table. I also passed and bid 3C.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2012-May-13, 10:52

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-May-13, 09:39, said:

The bidding probably doesn't count as expert.

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-May-13, 10:12, said:

If this is the hand I think it is, we had the same auction at our table. I also passed and bid 3C.

Frances right again then :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-May-13, 12:06

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-May-13, 10:05, said:

If declarer has 6 clubs and AJx of hearts we cannot beat him. This leads me to believe I need to play declarer for 5 clubs and AJx of hearts but that would be a 1N overcall (eg Ax AJx xxx AKxxx). I cannot think of any other possible heart holding for partner besides KTxxxx on the play of the king at trick 1.

So basically I have no clue how to beat this hand. I'm sure I'd just play a small diamond irl.

Maybe declarer has something like

A
AJxx
xxx
AKxxx

But then we defeat this regardless of what we play now (except A) But if he has the NT hand that you predict ( Ax AJx xxx AKxxx) then only back defeats.

I don't know why pd didnt play the clubs in different order, if he had QJ9 and dummy has T.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-13, 12:08

like justin, i think partner needs three clubs to qj to have a chance here.
i am going to play partner for 6, 3, so the play could be from kx or a singleton. If was a singleton, a diamond back now kills the defense. IF i play a high diamond, he has only two diamond losers, if return a low diamond, he wins his nine, and again has only one diamond loser. So I must RETURN a spade if it was a singleton, this let partner win his spade honor (hopefully he has spade ak), cash the club queen (so no diamond ruff in dummy), and declarer is toast.

I am playing for something like this in partners hand...
AKx KTxxxx 4 QJx

if partner has instead Kx for the low diamond, we need him to have something like
AK KTxxxx Kx QJx,we get five tricks pretty much whatever I do.

if parnter held
Ax KTxxxx Kx QJX, declarer always has probably misplayed by not unblocking spades and hooking me for the J.

And of course, we can not have partner be 1-6-3-3 (low diamond from Kxx) or declarer will have a lot of spade tricks. So when the J holds trick four, i guess i have to return a spade.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-May-13, 13:11

View Postinquiry, on 2012-May-13, 12:08, said:

like justin, i think partner needs three clubs to qj to have a chance here.
i am going to play partner for 6, 3, so the play could be from kx or a singleton. If was a singleton, a diamond back now kills the defense. IF i play a high diamond, he has only two diamond losers, if return a low diamond, he wins his nine, and again has only one diamond loser. So I must RETURN a spade if it was a singleton, this let partner win his spade honor (hopefully he has spade ak), cash the club queen (so no diamond ruff in dummy), and declarer is toast.

I am playing for something like this in partners hand...
AKx KTxxxx 4 QJx

if partner has instead Kx for the low diamond, we need him to have something like
AK KTxxxx Kx QJx,we get five tricks pretty much whatever I do.

if parnter held
Ax KTxxxx Kx QJX, declarer always has probably misplayed by not unblocking spades and hooking me for the J.

And of course, we can not have partner be 1-6-3-3 (low diamond from Kxx) or declarer will have a lot of spade tricks. So when the J holds trick four, i guess i have to return a spade.

Thats also a good prediction (that pd may have stiff ) But then why pd didnt play trumps in different order, or why did not he bid 2 with AKx spade and a side stiff ? But none of those are clear hints, so you may have a good case for playing back spade imo.

EDIT: if that was the case though, declarer could have made it with a different play. He could play 3rd instead of at trick 4. that pretty much gives away the shape of East ( 6 +3 and not bidding 2 spade he must have at most 3 spade....After 3rd club he cant go wrong i think.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-May-13, 13:29

Declarer having x AJx K98x AKxxx would explain him not overcalling 1N. Good call.

#9 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-13, 13:31

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-May-13, 10:12, said:

It's not. It is not from the S4s.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 17:20

EDIT, nonsense

#11 User is offline   rtewari 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-14, 23:47

Declarer does not appear to be 2-3-3-5 as 1NT is the preferred bid.

As suggested by someone, 1-3-4-5 is a possibility but then 7 of diamond winning the trick makes it a little against the odds as a more practical play would be to play towards queen. When it holds, take heart finesse and play diamond king from hand hoping for Jx or Tx with RHO. Low diamond works when RHO has A singleton/doubleton. Also, exiting 3rd club is an option for declarer before touching diamonds.

I would prefer to place declarer with a 2-4-2-5 shape. Partner needs to have heart 7 and spade ace to defeat this. Spade king will not do as he will be caught in a strip throw in. Of course, this is assuming that partner chose to rebid 2H with only 5 rather than respond a 3 card diamond. Declarer may be trying to eliminate diamonds before setting up a spade trick with RHO forced to allow entry to dummy in hearts. I would try a low diamond, let partner win with king, cash club queen and exit a low heart. This way the entry for winner spade is prematurely knocked off and we get a heart loser in the end.
RT

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-17, 15:06

What was the double dummy defence?

#13 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-17, 20:34

View PostFluffy, on 2012-May-17, 15:06, said:

What was the double dummy defence?

it is 50-50, either a spade or diamond here is right... :)
--Ben--

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-May-19, 00:13

View Postinquiry, on 2012-May-17, 20:34, said:

it is 50-50, either a spade or diamond here is right... :)

Yeah, but we have 4 s and 5 s left, so if we pick a random card it's more like 56-44 :P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#15 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2012-May-20, 09:48

rtwari has the hand approximately correct, but you don't even need partner to have the 7 of hearts (although he does) if you play a spade now.
This is the full hand:

I don't think partner can have AKx of spades given his club carding.
The way to beat it whatever partner's heart holding is (assuming it includes the king) is to play a spade now. Partner can duck this, then between you, you win the second diamond, cash the ace of spades and exit in diamonds.
What happened at the table is that declarer boringly played the SK out of hand, partner ducked and declarer was hopeless. The discussion we then had was how easy it was to defend if declarer started on diamonds, and this hand claimed it as easy, because 'we are basically double dummy'. Hmmm.

#16 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-20, 21:13

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-May-20, 09:48, said:

rtwari has the hand approximately correct, but you don't even need partner to have the 7 of hearts (although he does) if you play a spade now.
This is the full hand:

The way to beat it whatever partner's heart holding is (assuming it includes the king) is to play a spade now. Partner can duck this, then between you, you win the second diamond, cash the ace of spades and exit in diamonds.
What happened at the table is that declarer boringly played the SK out of hand, partner ducked and declarer was hopeless. The discussion we then had was how easy it was to defend if declarer started on diamonds, and this hand claimed it as easy, because 'we are basically double dummy'. Hmmm.

Talking of being double dummy - only a Diamond continuation beats the hand. If we play a Spade now, declarer plays the Ten from dummy, partner ducks (otherwise Declarer unblocks the King and later hooks the nine). Declarer can then hook the Heart and ruff the 4th Heart in dummy. And loses 1 Spade, 2 Diamonds and a Club.

We need to get partner in to cash the 3rd Club. If we continue the J, declarer can duck and partner has to work out to overtake with the King. Probably easiest was for partner to overtake the Diamond spot and cash the top trump.

Interestingly, partner does need to have the 7 - or an initial Heart lead blows the contract (and Declarer has to play your suggested line of leading Diamonds out of hand .... the K is no good).

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-May-20, 23:33

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-May-20, 09:48, said:

This is the full hand:

I think your analysis is incorrect about the solution. If you play declarer can make by inserting 9 regardless of what your pd does. And i don't even think it needs a double dummy declarer play.

You are assuming (wrongly) that if you play declarer will keep on playing .

Besides, i would not have trusted this pd for ducking the first anyway even if that was one of my options to rely on. Why on earth is he letting the first to us ? He needs to cover with T, cash his last trump, and cash A. If we encourage continue spade, if not plays diamond. There is no way we can set this if declarer has both spade K and diamond A. (that would mean we made a neg double with air also)

#18 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 00:29

View PostMrAce, on 2012-May-20, 23:33, said:

I think your analysis is incorrect about the solution. If you play declarer can make by inserting 9 regardless of what your pd does. And i don't even think it needs a double dummy declarer play.

You are assuming (wrongly) that if you play declarer will keep on playing .

Besides, i would not have trusted this pd for ducking the first anyway even if that was one of my options to rely on. Why on earth is he letting the first to us ? He needs to cover with T, cash his last trump, and cash A. If we encourage continue spade, if not plays diamond. There is no way we can set this if declarer has both spade K and diamond A. (that would mean we made a neg double with air also)

Talking of wrong analysis .....

You are mostly right. Why didn't partner overtake and cash the trump? As this wasn't the play at the table I understand that Frances didn't think of that. But if you cash the A then declarer unblocks the King and that's the end of the hand. In fact it's a very tough play from East's after overtaking the Diamond to play a trump. Exiting "safely" in Diamonds doesn't work: declarer ruffs and play the K (ducked) and another Spade and we are endplayed to take the Heart hook for declarer. Oddly, despite there being no entry to take the Heart hook we can exit in Hearts! We were always going to be forced to do it sooner or later, and sooner kills the entry to the long Spade trick which is rightfully declarer's.

#19 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 12:14

Declarer has a rough time ruffing a heart in dummy if East covers the 2nd heart with the K after ducking a spade. Either the defense cashes out if declarer ducks or declarer is stuck in dummy without a way to hand after playing a 3rd heart. Continuing spades or diamonds leads to declarer getting stuck in hand unable to ruff in dummy or use the established Q cause E gets in to cash the master trump.

Good problem. I was afraid of a spade cause I thought it might just end the hand right there if declarer guessed right. Probably would have tried a diamond at the table.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-May-21, 18:14

View Postdave_w, on 2012-May-21, 00:29, said:

Talking of wrong analysis .....

You are mostly right. Why didn't partner overtake and cash the trump? As this wasn't the play at the table I understand that Frances didn't think of that. But if you cash the A then declarer unblocks the King and that's the end of the hand. In fact it's a very tough play from East's after overtaking the Diamond to play a trump. Exiting "safely" in Diamonds doesn't work: declarer ruffs and play the K (ducked) and another Spade and we are endplayed to take the Heart hook for declarer. Oddly, despite there being no entry to take the Heart hook we can exit in Hearts! We were always going to be forced to do it sooner or later, and sooner kills the entry to the long Spade trick which is rightfully declarer's.

I have to admit that i knew contract was 3 when trying to defend from W, I was defending 4 for some reason by east. As if 2 or 2 tricks was enough for defense. :blink:

My comments on East's actions were nonsense in 3

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users