Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Basic Keyboard Shortcuts 4 arrow keys and the space bar should do a lot

#1 User is offline   sandip2010 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-07, 09:54

I understand that comprehensive keyboard shortcuts are not coming any time soon, but it should be possible to take out 80% of the strain of keyboard entries by a thoughtful use of the 4 arrow keys and the space bar. In both bidding and play.

For example, C-D-H-S may be denoted by the L-U-R-D arrow keys. In bidding, pressing the respective arrow tells to "bid at the minimum level of this suit". Thus after 1D on the right, pressing right arrow means "bid 1H". Space bar means Pass.

In play, similarly, pressing the Space Bar means "follow with the lowest card in the suit played". Tapping an arrow may mean play the lowest card in the arrow tapped and tapping the arrow in quick succession may mean play the "2nd lowest"..."3rd. lowest", etc. etc. etc.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-07, 14:16

I don't find these arrow key suggestions very intuitive.

#3 User is offline   jbaptistec 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Other card and board games, theoretical computer science (complexity and games theory)

Posted 2012-July-16, 02:07

Neither do I. What would be the point of typing '→' instead of 'H', a perfectly clear key ?
(probably for those who are not familiar with a keyboard ? then learning to spot CDHS on a keyboard should not be as hard as remembering which arrow corresponds to what)

Arrows might be useful in the play, though, to select a card then play it with Space.
Tired of red/black ♠♥♦♣.
For 4 suits, why not 4 colors ?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users