BBO Discussion Forums: Colorado: The very good and the very bad - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Colorado: The very good and the very bad

#41 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-02, 16:02

billw55, on 2012-August-02, 08:15, said:

On another angle, I wonder what the gun laws were like in Norway when Breivik did his deed.

It would also be interesting to see what has happened to those laws since then, or may happen in the near future. And then take a look fifty or a hundreds years down the pike and see if folks in Norway think the right decision was made.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#42 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 18:22

Cyberyeti, on 2012-August-02, 08:02, said:

Yes but you're unlikely to get to the Breivik situation with a knifeman. It's always possible, particularly in a Dunblane type situation in a primary school, but simply, you kill people more slowly with a knife than an auto weapon or a number of handguns and you don't have range if people scatter.

Wasn't there a guy in India who strangled 900 people with a yellow cloth?

#43 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-03, 03:55

nigel_k, on 2012-August-02, 18:22, said:

Wasn't there a guy in India who strangled 900 people with a yellow cloth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee yes, but he took 40 years to do it.

#44 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-August-03, 03:58

billw55, on 2012-August-02, 08:15, said:

Certainly, it is not the same thing. Obviously the death potential is higher with guns. For that matter it is even higher with explosives (Oklahoma City). Sometimes I wonder why these guys use guns instead of bombs. I think it must be psychological, perhaps some glory image they have in their minds, or just simple copycat-ism.

On another angle, I wonder what the gun laws were like in Norway when Breivik did his deed.

Breivik of course used bombs too immediately before he went on the shooting rampage.

http://en.wikipedia....itics_in_Norway

Semi automatics are legal.

#45 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-August-03, 08:55

Laws, cultural norms, personal demons all affect actions. Killing someone with your hands (I have never done it, but I suppose) takes strength and skill. It's up close and personal. To some extent that is true of knives as well. Guns are different. A guy can wheeze when he walks a flight of stairs, have little or no strength or training, give him a gun and just like that he is a heavy dude. Quite possibly it is not so easy to pull the trigger, but a lot of people are pretty confident that it is. The comic books that I read when I was a kid had ads for the Atlas body building course. Build your strength, protect yourself and your girl from the bully on the beach. Why bother? Just get a gun a blow him away. And suddenly someone is dead and someone else is in jail.

I wrote elsewhere of a time in my childhood when we had taken in a woman and her kids after she left her abusive husband. He came over one night after drinking, trying to get in. My father was out, my mother was at the foot of the basement stairs with my father's shotgun pointed at the door at the top of the stairs. He left. Smart move. Sixty some years ago but I remember it vividly, where I was, where she was, what was going on. So yes, a gun can be useful. But I don't have one. If I felt the need, there is a long list of things I would do first. More secure locks. A switch that I can throw that would light up everything. A loud alarm. Cops or a security company on speed dial. If that's not enough maybe I need to be in the Witness Protection Program. Or move. Or learn to get along better with my neighbors.

It's my thought that guns give a false sense of security. Maybe if you are highly trained, maybe it will work out well. Maybe, maybe not. I think a substantial danger is that a person with a gun handy will get himself into a confrontation that an unarmed person may well find a way to duck. And unless he is cooler than I am, something might go very wrong. Ask Zimmerman.

I'm hoping we can change attitudes. The law will then follow along.
Ken

#46 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-03, 12:00

kenberg, on 2012-August-03, 08:55, said:

If I felt the need, there is a long list of things I would do first. More secure locks. A switch that I can throw that would light up everything. A loud alarm. Cops or a security company on speed dial. If that's not enough maybe I need to be in the Witness Protection Program. Or move. Or learn to get along better with my neighbors.

I have two big loud dogs. I am fairly comfortable that if I am away and a crook decides to try to enter my home (with wife and kids in it), he will probably change his mind.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#47 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-August-03, 12:14

billw55, on 2012-August-03, 12:00, said:

I have two big loud dogs. I am fairly comfortable that if I am away and a crook decides to try to enter my home (with wife and kids in it), he will probably change his mind.

probably so... bad people hardly ever shoot dogs
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#48 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-03, 13:34

luke warm, on 2012-August-03, 12:14, said:

probably so... bad people hardly ever shoot dogs

I can't tell if you are joking or not.

If not, the point is that crooks are generally lazy and their top priority is easy victims. Dogs aren't easy, they make noise, alert neighbors, might bite, etc, so the crook will almost always move along to greener pastures, whether he has a gun or not.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#49 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-August-03, 15:17

billw55, on 2012-August-03, 13:34, said:

... the crook will almost always move along to greener pastures, whether he has a gun or not.

true... my only point was, if someone is intent on doing harm, he will do harm
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#50 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-03, 15:41

As a friend of mine used to say, criminals are stupid. They're also lazy. They may set out to rob a particular house, but if anything goes wrong, they're likely to give up and go elsewhere. OTOH, criminals have been known to panic and make a bad (for them and their victims) situation worse.

It is about as smart to buy a gun with no training as it is to buy a double-bitted axe to chop down the oak tree in your yard with no training. Either way, you're likely to end up in trouble.

For many people, knives are actually scarier than guns. That's one reason why that scene in Crocodile Dundee is so funny ("That's not a knife. This is a knife!" :P )
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#51 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-05, 18:14

blackshoe, on 2012-August-03, 15:41, said:

As a friend of mine used to say, criminals are stupid. They're also lazy. They may set out to rob a particular house, but if anything goes wrong, they're likely to give up and go elsewhere. OTOH, criminals have been known to panic and make a bad (for them and their victims) situation worse.

It is about as smart to buy a gun with no training as it is to buy a double-bitted axe to chop down the oak tree in your yard with no training. Either way, you're likely to end up in trouble.

For many people, knives are actually scarier than guns. That's one reason why that scene in Crocodile Dundee is so funny ("That's not a knife. This is a knife!" :P )

Agree with all of this. The police told my landlady when she bemoaned not confronting people who broke into my house that she was very lucky she hadn't, and that anyone who got into a situation with a gun had better be prepared to use it effectively. Most people will have hesitation and that will allow the bad guys, if not to actually take the gun away and maybe use it or at least try to and who knows who will get shot in the struggle?

The scenario of a whole bunch of people in a crowded gas filled theatre pulling weapons and trying to shoot the gunman would likely delight the gunman as the carnage would undoubtedly have been much worse; including people shooting other people they THOUGHT were the gunman and perhaps then being shot themselves, and those would be the people who had some presence of mind and weren't just shooting blindly in panic.

OTOH not long ago a woman in Edmonton heard noises in her garage and had a legal handgun; she investigated and found a man with a crowbar who had broken into the place; she was quite capable of using her gun and the burglar very sensibly stood there and waited for the police to rescue him. The police were not happy with her but she was briefly a heroine to the community.

As far as a hope that the police and army would protect the citizens in a government/citizen conflict, or even a BUSINESS/citizen conflict there's not a lot of precendence for that..Kent State and the Chicago Dem. Convention and the use of police against coal miners and other striking workers suggests otherwise. What's happening in Syria seems FAR more likely, once things get to that stage.

In that case, having some sort of weapon might give a person some sense of security, thus all the survivalists talk about weapons and ammo stashes, but it's quite difficult for most people to grasp what that would actually mean. For one thing, if known, then those people will be the FIRST targets, (and likely labelled as terrorists).There's not much chance they would not be known to the authorities, either, hard to imagine it's not extremely easy to track who buys such things, especially in any quantity.

Given the latest mass shooting in Wisconsin, it seems to me that terrorism INSIDE the country ought to be given at least as much attention and resources as terrorism outside the country. It seems sometimes as though everyone conveniently forgets the first terrorist event in the US..the Oklahoma bombing... was done by an American.

I have no idea what the answer is..but surely something needs to be tried to prevent these people from reaching the state that this behaviour seems a reasonable way to act. I personally think children who grow up learning through video games, TV, movies and the political decisions by governments that killing is the best if not only way to resolve differences are going to have a very different attitude from those who have learned to see there are usually other routes to conflict resolution.

#52 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-August-05, 20:03

For raising kids (off topic but hell, I started the thread) I recommend bicycles. I am at least semi-serious about this. I played all sorts of cowboy and indian games, later I hunted, I never shot anyone or plan to. A bicycle is a great escape. Maybe I will ask for a grant to see if there is a positive correlation between free roaming with a bike as a child and a (reasonably) peaceful personality as an adult. I would bet on it.
Ken

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users