BBO Discussion Forums: Simple hesitation case - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple hesitation case Scarborough, England UK

Poll: Simple hesitation case (64 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you rebid as opener after 5S comes round to you?

1. Pass (22 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

2. Double (41 votes [64.06%])

Percentage of vote: 64.06%

3. 5NT (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 6D (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

5. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-31, 23:50

View Postbluejak, on 2012-July-31, 17:52, said:

Is it not normal to poll the bidding without the hesitation?

But isn't it also customary to avoid mentioning the hesitation, so as not to bias the respondents?

#22 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-August-01, 08:06

Sure, but where? The moment I poll this sequence on this site everyone knows that there was a hesitation and where it was. So I treated everyone as grown-up, gave the poll, then the story, so we could get results for the poll, and views on the ruling. Are you seriously suggesting that is not what you thought this was?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 08:13

When I see a poll here, I read the poll. If I feel I can respond to it without reading the thread, I do so, and then I read the thread. I do not make assumptions about the reason for the poll, I simply answer the question asked.

In this case, I did not know there was a hesitation when I answered the poll. I did not consider answering on the assumption there was a BIT (or any other irregularity).

If I read the poll, and feel that it's incomplete and I need more information, I read the first post in the thread. Hopefully, that gives me enough info to respond to the poll. If it does not, I'll say so.

It seems to me this is the best way to handle these things.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 08:14

So what was the outcome? I would have doubled, but I'm not surprised that the results of this poll seem to suggest that passing is an LA.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#25 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 08:36

I thought it would be nice if a few people gave an opinion as to the way they would rule, or more specifically answered the question in the OP "Do you adjust?". So far we have had 24 posts and no answers to that question, though one answer may be inferred from one post. So, do me a favour please, do you adjust?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#26 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-01, 08:58

View Postbluejak, on 2012-August-01, 08:36, said:

I thought it would be nice if a few people gave an opinion as to the way they would rule, or more specifically answered the question in the OP "Do you adjust?". So far we have had 24 posts and no answers to that question, though one answer may be inferred from one post. So, do me a favour please, do you adjust?

You mean like: "The hesitation suggested action rather than inaction,a poll of people suggested pass was a logical alternative to doubling, so therefore the contract is adjusted to being undoubled"?

#27 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-August-01, 09:11

View Posthirowla, on 2012-August-01, 08:58, said:

You mean like: "The hesitation suggested action rather than inaction,a poll of people suggested pass was a logical alternative to doubling, so therefore the contract is adjusted to being undoubled"?

+1

My only concern is that I do not know if the people who passed in this poll are peers of South. There is a group of people that I might have polled if I knew who South was, who all double even if they think Pass is a logical alternative. It is possible (for some values of South), Pass is not a logical alternative.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#28 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 09:13

View Postbluejak, on 2012-August-01, 08:36, said:

Yes, I'd adjust because it seems that pass is an LA, and acting rather than passing is suggested by the hesitation.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#29 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 09:30

I would not adjust. But, I understand hirowia's position if he adjusted against me. Problems:

I think this poll was tainted. I know at least one vote was the opposite of what the voter intented, because I was lame in voting for a PASS by mistake when I feel strongly that the double is correct.

We don't know whether the voters are peers in style, experience, or prowess.

We don't know how many voters were answering the pure question and how many were assuming a B.I.T.

Aside from that, I don't know what "hestitating noticeably" means as far as time and body language are concerned. On an auction like this one, I cannot imagine a competent partner who would NOT take a bit of time to absorb the situation; and a noticeable B.I.T does not tell me she was close to doubling, or close to bidding on, or anything in particular.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#30 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 10:05

Interestingly most of the passers seem to be passing due to the UI even though they'd double without the hesitation. It is almost as if everyone would double, but because they think some will pass they are passing.

I am sure I would pass at the table, because partner should be trying not to hesitate, I don't get the opportunity to poll my peers and double seems suggested. However, given time to consider, I would not adjust if a peer did double. As others have said, class of player would influence the poll.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#31 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 10:26

View Postpaulg, on 2012-August-01, 10:05, said:

Interestingly most of the passers seem to be passing due to the UI even though they'd double without the hesitation. It is almost as if everyone would double, but because they think some will pass they are passing.

Not me, I voted for pass on the auction given, without the UI. (Like Bluejak, I felt it was clear that that was the only meaningful way to answer a poll about the bidding, rather than one about the ruling)

I am sure I would pass at the table, because partner should be trying not to hesitate, I don't get the opportunity to poll my peers and double seems suggested. However, given time to consider, I would not adjust if a peer did double. As others have said, class of player would influence the poll.

Oh dear, it sounds like my pass puts me in a lower class of player - well I suppose I have never claimed to be in the same class as yourself (even if we have been teammates in the English Premier League....)

#32 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 10:54

View PostWellSpyder, on 2012-August-01, 10:26, said:

Oh dear, it sounds like my pass puts me in a lower class of player

Or higher?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#33 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-01, 14:55

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-August-01, 08:13, said:

In this case, I did not know there was a hesitation when I answered the poll. I did not consider answering on the assumption there was a BIT (or any other irregularity).

Am I imagining it, or isn't the hesitation mentioned in the second line of the original post?

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-01, 15:20

It is, but I did not read that. I just looked at the hand diagram.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 00:49

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-01, 09:30, said:

I would not adjust. But, I understand hirowia's position if he adjusted against me. Problems:

I think this poll was tainted. I know at least one vote was the opposite of what the voter intented, because I was lame in voting for a PASS by mistake when I feel strongly that the double is correct.

We don't know whether the voters are peers in style, experience, or prowess.

We don't know how many voters were answering the pure question and how many were assuming a B.I.T.

Aside from that, I don't know what "hestitating noticeably" means as far as time and body language are concerned. On an auction like this one, I cannot imagine a competent partner who would NOT take a bit of time to absorb the situation; and a noticeable B.I.T does not tell me she was close to doubling, or close to bidding on, or anything in particular.

I was taking the poll at face value, especially since I have no idea who was answering it or who was at the original table. I'd personally agree with the poll but I'm not the greatest player around and, as you suggested, it's more about the peers. Based on my 0 second analysis of those polled, I go with the poll results as above :lol: ...

#36 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2012-August-02, 06:59

Amazed at the passers.
Once in 10 years 5x will make.
Double is clear, remembering I had high hopes in 5.

#37 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 07:53

View Postshevek, on 2012-August-02, 06:59, said:

Hmmm, now if you had said once in 10 years 6 will make then I might have agreed...

#38 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-August-02, 11:56

View Postbluejak, on 2012-August-01, 08:06, said:

Sure, but where? The moment I poll this sequence on this site everyone knows that there was a hesitation and where it was. So I treated everyone as grown-up, gave the poll, then the story, so we could get results for the poll, and views on the ruling. Are you seriously suggesting that is not what you thought this was?

It is possible to post in a section other than laws, you tend to get bridge opinions to polls without as much consideration for possible, but unmentioned, hesitations.

This heading clearly biased the poll results - just look at the answers given mentioning the hesitation.

Now, it could be that you don't care about that, per se, but instead want procedural stuff. That's an entirely different kettle of fish, and more in line with my impression as to how to best use the laws section. Personally, I have no comment on the matter other than I would take an unbiased (or as unbiased as possible) poll of the player's peers, and then rule accordingly. I am unable to say what I would have done at the table, because I am sure I have already been biased by the hesitation/comments of others.
Chris Gibson

#39 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 15:02

Some partnerships may have a meta-agreement that stupid bids should be doubled. If so then pass is not a LA.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#40 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 15:50

It is not the first time somone has put a poll in. When I answer a poll I do not include any UI in the OP because the poll seems completely useless if I do. I am surprised to find this is not a unanimous view. And I am not going to get involved in forums I never read to poll, so if I am going to poll it has to be in one of the five Laws-related forums.

The poll results are 25 for double and 15 for pass. I have no idea whether some of these are tainted as someone put it, but I shall assume not. This makes pass a clear LA, so ruling back to 5 undoubled is pretty automatic.

I was the doubler, and could not imagine anyone would ever not double. I was flabbergasted to be ruled against. The TD told me he had polled some good players [he did not say how many] and three considered pass, of whom two passed. So I could not fault his methodology. Since we finished second in a qualifying, and winning an appeal would still put us second, we did not consider an appeal. We actually gained 9 imps after the ruling, both pairs making +200. I put this here to see if everyone agreed with the TD. It appears the general feeling is Yes.

As to the bridge judgement, I think anyone who does not double is a wimp and a wuss. My views fall in line with:

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-July-30, 17:10, said:

I would always double, with or without UI. I don't see why I'm just supposed to let someone guess to bid 4 then guess again to bid 5 all on his own and not punish him when my defense is this good. If he was that sure of making 11 tricks he would not have bid 4 and risked missing slam to begin with.

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-July-30, 21:52, said:

I would double. Pass may be an LA - for wusses. I would double even in the face of partner's break in tempo.

View Postshevek, on 2012-August-02, 06:59, said:

Amazed at the passers.
Double is clear, remembering I had high hopes in 5.

David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users