BBO Discussion Forums: Is there a way to get to 4H without an agricultural jump? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a way to get to 4H without an agricultural jump?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-August-12, 12:27

2/1, W V W , IMPS, dealer North, you are South:

AQJ64
Q63
A73

1H (P) ?

At most tables the bidding went something like:

1S (P) 1NT (P) 4H AP which makes +2 on a favourable Heart finesse, but that's not the point.

Is there a way for South to set up a GF after 1NT or would it have been better to bid 2D instead of 1S?

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-12, 14:18

This will certainly depend on agreements. There are a number of points that can be made here.

(1) On this hand, you have no real aspirations for anything beyond game when partner rebids 1NT (which shows a balanced hand of about 12-14 hcp). So you might as well just bid 4; a slower auction is more likely to help the opponents on defense than to find a better contract for your side.

(2) If you have no special agreements, you could bid 3 (jump in new suit is natural and GF) followed by bidding hearts. This might mislead partner as to shape (sure sounds like a singleton club) but of course this is the problem with having absolutely no agreements. Perhaps that would be a good path if holding a stronger hand.

(3) Most people play some form of new minor forcing. If this is your agreement, then one of "jump to 3 after partner's 1NT rebid" or "bid new minor forcing followed by 3" ought to be forcing to game (the other is invitational). The more standard treatment is that new minor force followed by 3 is the game force path, but it's not universal (Richard Pavlicek in particular endorses the other approach).

Again, I would tend to blast 4 here regardless of other agreements, because both hands are limited and slam cannot be in the picture. There is no prize for having a long descriptive auction; in fact much the contrary, since such auctions will help opponents to find a good opening lead and count out declarer's hand in the play. If you know what the final contract should be, it pays to bid it as quickly as possible!
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 14:45

Agriculture is underrated.

You should definitely bid 4 over 1NT. Slam can never be better than 50% assuming partner would upgrade with Kx AKxxx xxx Axx, but even if there was a remote chance of reaching a decent slam, it wouldn't be worth giving them a blueprint of declarer's hand while searching for it.

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-August-12, 18:28

I would also bid 1S followed by 4H.
If you wanted to be scientific, though why you would do this I don't know, you could bid, 2D over 1NT as a transfer to H and then bid 2S over the forced 2H bid to set up the game force. I would do this with a stronger hand, but not this one. This also assumes you are playing transfer checkback, of course..
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-13, 02:52

You shold play either two (three) way checkback over 1N, or some typof transfer rebid (they need more work and don't seem much better imo)

Try:

2c= all inviational hands, forces 2d, then bid naturally.

2d GF checkback
3x = natural GF 55
2N=> three clubs either weak to play in clubs, or a GF 5431 hand, with 5M4m, now you have 3d/3h/3s/3n to separate the four different 5431 hands that are possible.

If you would bid a 4 card major in front of a longer minor even in a Gf hand, then you need to alter these agreements. I would then use via 2N for the GF hands with a longer minor.

PS: obv on the given hand its probably best to bid 4H, but you don't need to have to change the hand much to have a decent chance of slam and want to investigate.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-August-13, 05:31

There are lots of options for Responder to set up a GF. One of the most common is 2-way Checkback as described by Phil. Another is to keep the 2 puppet for invitational hands but to use transfers (from 2) with GF hands. Then there is simple nmf (New Minor Forcing). In that method a rebid of 2 followed by 3 sets up a game force.

A different method altogether involves playing the same method over a 1 opening as over 1. So a 1 response denies GF values and a 1NT response instead is GF with 4+ spades. That makes life very easy when you do in fact have hands similar to Responder's! The downside is that you cannot play the 1NT rebid as natural and therefore cannot often stop in 1NT (in some versions never).
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-13, 09:00

Playing Flannery, I am comfortable responding 2 over 1 with this hand type.

Call me Phil Rexford.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-13, 11:33

So this topic overlaps:
http://www.bridgebas...s-auction-exist

[1h-1s-1nt-?]
Does no one play the inference as described in the ACBL bridge encyclopedia (2h = inv, 3h = forcing) and other books that cover this sequence specifically anymore?
What does 2h show for you?
(1) too weak for direct 2h (constructive/semi-constructive), have spades so bid it instead of 1nt (4-6/4-7 hcp)
(2) doubleton heart, feel that 2h plays better than 1nt (hand shapes?)
(3) doubleton heart, 5+ spades
(4) three hearts, 6+ spades
(5) three hearts, 4+ spades (always bid spades even if in 6-9 pt hcp range)
(6) inv with 3 hearts

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-August-13, 11:37

This is an often-discssed sequence, an opinions are wl establshed. hat said, I'll offer mine again.

I am f the strong opinion that life and auctions are simpler when you estabish GF as soon as possible when you have a known major fit. On this hand, a 2/1 GF call establishes a GF rather quickly, so that is my option.

The question, then, is which GF call to make? Obvously, there are only two normal options (assuming no GF JS). 2 or 2. 2 has the obvious benefit of implying something there, which is nice because I have the Ace of diamonds and, as to the alternative (2), my clubs really suck. The downside to 2, however, is that it is milly (and quite effectively) preemptive, as there will now be no more chance to establish hearts as trumps at the two-level. 2 has one downside -- the clubs suck. But, it gains whenever partner can rebid 2, as then we can set trumps lower.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-13, 16:05

The jump to 4 is not agricultural, it is simply part of your system - assuming you don't have a way to show 3-card game-force support apart from changing suit then bidding game.

If you are asking for system suggestions, I love the multi 2 response to 1-major - shows a 3-card limit raise, or game-force and balanced, or game-force and clubs. Opener bids 2 if he would accept the invitational limit raise, 2 if not. After 2 if you have a limit raise you bid 4 immediately, if you have a better hand and 3-card support you bid 2 (leaving the way clear for possible slam exploration), and hands with clubs can rebid a new suit (natural) or clubs again, game-force balanced rebids 2NT.
I Transfers

#11 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2012-August-13, 18:22

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-August-13, 11:37, said:

This is an often-discssed sequence, an opinions are wl establshed. hat said, I'll offer mine again.

I am f the strong opinion that life and auctions are simpler when you estabish GF as soon as possible when you have a known major fit. On this hand, a 2/1 GF call establishes a GF rather quickly, so that is my option.

The question, then, is which GF call to make? Obvously, there are only two normal options (assuming no GF JS). 2 or 2. 2 has the obvious benefit of implying something there, which is nice because I have the Ace of diamonds and, as to the alternative (2), my clubs really suck. The downside to 2, however, is that it is milly (and quite effectively) preemptive, as there will now be no more chance to establish hearts as trumps at the two-level. 2 has one downside -- the clubs suck. But, it gains whenever partner can rebid 2, as then we can set trumps lower.

These posts are getting more bizarre by the minute. Unless you are playing relays i don't think anyone who bids 2D on this as a gf can be taken seriously.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-13, 18:34

View PostStephen Tu, on 2012-August-13, 11:33, said:

[1h-1s-1nt-?]
Does no one play the inference as described in the ACBL bridge encyclopedia (2h = inv, 3h = forcing) and other books that cover this sequence specifically anymore?
(

Maybe someone does, but even with a simple 2C NMF that treatment set has been outgrown.

1H-1S-1N
2H is exactly 5-2, pass or correct for us. The 1NT rebid is always some combo of 5-3-3-2 minimum, so 2S=ok with 6 and a minimum, 3H is fine with 3 hearts and a real spade suit inviting game, and 4H is fine with the OP hand.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-13, 19:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-13, 18:34, said:

Maybe someone does, but even with a simple 2C NMF that treatment set has been outgrown.

1H-1S-1N
2H is exactly 5-2, pass or correct for us. The 1NT rebid is always some combo of 5-3-3-2 minimum, so 2S=ok with 6 and a minimum, 3H is fine with 3 hearts and a real spade suit inviting game, and 4H is fine with the OP hand.

In 2/1, usually a direct raise is 8-10 HCP and 1NT (or 1 natural to 1) can include 5-7 3-card raise, so 2 there would be the weak 3-card raise. Or you can have the ranges round the other way, then it is an 8-10 raise. Even if it does show a weak hand with two hearts and five spades, not sure you'd ever want to do that. You won't ever have an 8-card fit (unless you never raise with 3, and even then not that likely - may as well bid 2 if you are banking on opener having hidden 3-card support).
I Transfers

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-13, 19:50

So, that just shows your agreements and your expectations are different from ours. Can live with those observations and conclusions as long as they don't become ours.

Raising a 1S response to 1H with 3-5-(32) does not work for us. Playing the 5-2 major fit in opener's suit seems to work just fine, and playing the 5-2 fit in responder's suit if he has a 5-1-(43) hand also works as long as opener doesn't hand-hog a 1NT rebid with a stiff spade and a 4cm.

We have found, unlike what you have found, that in 2/1, size and shape rebids by opener are valuable. Those with a Flannery inference, however, will find everything totally different than what I have said.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-August-13, 20:29

View Postthe hog, on 2012-August-13, 18:22, said:

These posts are getting more bizarre by the minute. Unless you are playing relays i don't think anyone who bids 2D on this as a gf can be taken seriously.

I did not end up bidding 2D. I merely noted the pros and cons of each call.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2012-August-13, 21:21

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-August-13, 20:29, said:

I did not end up bidding 2D. I merely noted the pros and cons of each call.

Glad to hear it ke. Even 2C is from planet Bizarro.

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-15, 11:52

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-August-13, 16:05, said:

If you are asking for system suggestions, I love the multi 2 response to 1-major - shows a 3-card limit raise, or game-force and balanced, or game-force and clubs.

I agree in general, but do you have a way of showing a 5 card spade suit if starting 2? I don't, and I prefer a spade contract if opener has 4 of them.

#18 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-August-15, 12:46

View PostfromageGB, on 2012-August-15, 11:52, said:

I agree in general, but do you have a way of showing a 5 card spade suit if starting 2? I don't, and I prefer a spade contract if opener has 4 of them.

Here's how that works out. Suppose you start with 2 in this exact situation:

1 - P - 2 - P - ?

Partner, let's say, is looking at four spades and only five hearts. Well, that seems like a nice thing to mention, so:

1 - P - 2 - P -
2 - P - ?

Now, as I think through my options, 3 seems about right.

-P.J. Painter.

#19 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-15, 13:17

Nice if your opener rebids allow it. Unfortunately for me, 2 could be a game invitation with 3 card heart support, so opener cannot bid higher than 2 on a minimum sort of hand. For example, if he bids 2 a simple soul like me would sign off with 3 with an invitational hand, or bid 3 with a game support to enable cue bidding. Unluckily those two bids are the same, so I can't do it. No doubt you can, with more complexity.

#20 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-15, 13:18

View Postthe hog, on 2012-August-13, 21:21, said:

Glad to hear it ke. Even 2C is from planet Bizarro.

I have dual citizenship.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users