• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Training new directors

#1 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-13, 21:00

(Apologies if this doesn't quite fit into this forum)

If you were asked to conduct training for new directors, what would be the one thing that you would definitely say, and perhaps put a lot of emphasis on? This can be on a particular law or any general tip/advice. Feel free to also mention the other things that came into consideration.
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-September-13, 21:17

The Director has to be a leader. Last year we got a new Director and the difference in the tournaments is inmense. He's been able to keep the volume down (the tournaments used to have a director trying to shhhhhh the people and it only got louder) and have people play faster than before (we used to play only 24 boards, now we play 26 and leave at around the same time, probably earlier).

So leadership to begin with. Knowing the Laws. And finally understanding movements, scoring, etc.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 00:53

Hanoi5, on 2012-September-13, 21:17, said:

The Director has to be a leader. Last year we got a new Director and the difference in the tournaments is inmense. He's been able to keep the volume down (the tournaments used to have a director trying to shhhhhh the people and it only got louder) and have people play faster than before (we used to play only 24 boards, now we play 26 and leave at around the same time, probably earlier).

So leadership to begin with. Knowing the Laws. And finally understanding movements, scoring, etc.

That's quite true, I've seen my fair share of meek directors...

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 00:57

The training won't do this. You can start with a leader and train him/her to direct. Many times you won't know what you are training. People who were previously in leadership positions are not necessarily leaders.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-September-14, 01:01

In summary the first thing to deal with is the personal approach to the players and the last thing is how to get judgement ruling right.

On the personal approach to the players, the goal of the TD is to allow the players to enjoy their bridge. The TD must realise that the players are his/her customers - being a TD should not be an ego trip for the TD.

On technical matters, it is more important to get the things right that affect all tables than rulings at one table. Get the movement right, get the scoring right, and move to time and 95% of the customers will go home happy you have done your job.

Read laws from the law book and listen to what you are reading. (Advanced skill: listen to see if you are saying anything that sound unfair on the non-offending side.)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-September-14, 05:13

Rossoneri, on 2012-September-13, 21:00, said:

If you were asked to conduct training for new directors, what would be the one thing that you would definitely say, and perhaps put a lot of emphasis on?

One thing? How about: "The Law Book is your bible. Carry it with you at all times and refer to it before every 'sermon'."
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 07:21

You could use the traditional approach used at most clubs for training directors:

"Ok, after tonight that covers the final part of the movements and laws. Can you direct Thursday night's session for me, as I have to go out?"

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 16:25

The first thing I heard as a Tournament director (having spent a few years "in the trenches" of club games) was "You do realize that TD is a public relations job first, and a legal one second?"

And, of course, I didn't, really. Not being a people person and all. But I've learned.

And it's possibly the most important piece of advice for being a TD I've heard (besides "Doesn't matter how good your game is or how technically proficient you are, if the coffee's not ready by the time the first player arrives, that's all anybody will mention about your club game").
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 17:18

Hanoi5, on 2012-September-13, 21:17, said:

Totally agree. But it can be hard for a new director to find that happy ground between being a mouse and being bossy. It takes a while for the players to get used to a new face and voice, and you have to earn the players' respect and trust, by getting the Laws correct 99% of the time :)
Strangely, consulting the Law book rather than knowing the Law from memory helps to build respect. When I started directing I thought the players would laugh if I didn't know the exact Law application instantly from memory. This is not so, although to cope and also to gain qualifications it is important to UNDERSTAND the concepts behind the Laws.
Mucking up a movement is not good, although I think that's primarily a club responsibility.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 17:29

paua, on 2012-September-14, 17:18, said:

Strangely, consulting the Law book rather than knowing the Law from memory helps to build respect. When I started directing I thought the players would laugh if I didn't know the exact Law application instantly from memory. This is not so, although to cope and also to gain qualifications it is important to UNDERSTAND the concepts behind the Laws.
Mucking up a movement is not good, although I think that's primarily a club responsibility.

You're not in the ACBL, are you? B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-15, 03:33

Robin & mycroft have it exactly right.

They have already covered the most important things.

One thing I would add, which is probably just rephrasing mycroft's post, is that attitude is all-important. Every complaint I see from a club is about the _way_ TD did something; they didn't explain the ruling / shouted people down / were arrogant or rude. Or if the complaint doesn't say that, it becomes obvious on investigation because the related rulings are always trivial and a good TD would have managed easily.

#12 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-15, 04:25

blackshoe, on 2012-September-14, 17:29, said:

You're not in the ACBL, are you? B-)

What's that ? ;)

#13 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-15, 07:49

Thanks a lot, very good replies. Upon reflection on my directing career so far, I have to say I agree wholeheartedly.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-September-15, 10:21

It is very useful, when training directors, to have simulations. This helps the new directors learn how to approach a table, how to gather information, and how to apply the correct law. And while they should, of course, always rule from the book, there is an exception -- here in the EBU "officially" trained directors are expected to know opening leads out of turn down pat, and have a concise and clear "spiel" for when it happens.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-15, 10:27

I suspect that's because, if he doesn't have a concise spiel memorized, it's going to take him twenty minutes to explain the ruling. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-September-19, 08:59

I find it a difficult question to answer because the answer to what is the one thing TDs should learn is that there isn't one thing. Perhaps the answer is that a TD should learn it is an all-round job.

You have customers and they have to be satisfied. That's not always possible, of course, because of the two sides to every ruling, but it is a thing to try for.

So getting movements right is good, giving fair rulings is good, making coffee is good, putting out the correct stationery is good, clearing up at the end is good, understanding the equipment is good, being able to score by hand is good, and knowing that part of the job is asking others for advice is good.

If anyone thinks that the most important thing is giving correct rulings/making coffee/putting out boards/recovering from mistakes etc is then they have the wrong approach: everything is important.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users