• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

fantunes pros and cons

#1 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2012-October-31, 12:17

could some of the more knowledable players discuss pros and cons of their bidding system?? i read the basics but wonder about for instance their 2 bids. they do seem to have a lot os success.

#2 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-31, 13:08

Anyone with the cardplay, defence, judgment, and team-mates of Nunes and Fantoni would have a lot of success. It's very hard to quantify the effect of system vs other factors. I would guess that, if they just played 2/1 with a weak NT and put the same level of work into it, their results would be very similar and quite possibly slightly better.

I personally don't like Fantunes because I want to open weak two bids as often as possible, and, while I prefer the weak NT, I don't want to be forced by system to open it on all kinds of unsuitable hands. The upside of their system doesn't seem enough to compensate.

Their leads and carding methods are definitely worth a look though.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-October-31, 15:43

I played a form of Fantunes online with BunnyGo. The pros of the system are the disruptive nature of the opening 2 bids. All of the two bids (including 2) show 8-13 HCP and a 5 or 6 card suit. Therefore, opening bids of 1 of a suit guarantee better hands. In fact, opening one bids are unlimited and forcing one round. There is no strong forcing opening bid similar to a 2 opening bid in Standard or a 1 opening bid in strong club systems.

The system uses a weak NT opening.

I found the system to be very interesting. What the opening two bids gain in disruption they lose in precision, as the response structure is more an effort to land on one's feet than real constructive bidding. However, by taking all of the hands of 13 or less HCP out of the equation, the one bids become far more constructive.

If I remember correctly, the one club opening covers a number of hands, including most balanced hands stronger than a weak NT and all minimum hands with primary clubs (stronger than a 2 opening). The one diamond opening included many unbalanced strong hands. One heart and one spade are natural and forcing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users