BBO Discussion Forums: Rating System - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rating System Can we start a rating system please.

Poll: Rating System (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be an automated rating system on bbo ?

1. Yes (10 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. No (12 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   lordmayo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-November-21, 16:35

Many leading bridge sites have this. It will help create focus, reduce the number of runners and encourage people to join tournaments. The math for it is fairly straightforward and available online. The only exception I would recommend is a strong negative for someone who runs.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-21, 16:50

View Postlordmayo, on 2012-November-21, 16:35, said:

Many leading bridge sites have this. It will help create focus, reduce the number of runners and encourage people to join tournaments. The math for it is fairly straightforward and available online. The only exception I would recommend is a strong negative for someone who runs.

wow... Such a new and original suggestion.

It's remarkable that no one has discussed this over the course of the last decade...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-November-21, 17:10

This has been suggested...a lot...I would like a rating system, but just here to let ya know that you are not the first to think this, and post it here. :)
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-November-21, 18:05

This has been discussed a thousand and two times here...anything new to say?

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-November-21, 18:41

Fred has voted, end of topic. Let's sticky this one.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-22, 01:18

Great newbie bashing, well done all.

Two relevant threads you can find (using google search for these forums):
http://www.bridgebas...54526-bboskill/ is the most recent "serious" discussion about this
http://www.bridgebas...rating-players/ is a sticky thread from this forum (so it was reasonable to start there) that discusses the theory and difficulties of player ratings.
So the second one is more theoretical, and the first one focuses more on potential implications of such a system.
If you want to read more, there are several other threads, all available via Googling site:bridgebase.com "rating system"

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-November-22, 11:49

If this wasn't pinned as a topic then Hrothgar would be out of line (more than he usually is).

Its pinned. This has been considered and rejected.

/lock thread

/close thread.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   losercover 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-11, 14:08

For a few days there was a rating system on BBO based on your tournament history. I self rated myself as expert and was rated as advanced by the algororithm. I play almost exclusively robot tournaments which doesn't accurately reflect real bridge. My current percentage is 55% and it goes up and down. I'll put together a string of 60+ games an then mix in some below 50% games where I've played solid bridge.

Rating is like grading on a curve, so your rank is dependent on who you are playing against. Masterpoints are accumulated. Chess ranking is based on how you have performed lately.

The best way to rate a player is watching them play over a reasonable period of time.

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-17, 02:01

You self rate as Expert? Perhaps you could also include mentioning which major national events you have won. You probably already know that the rating system you referred to has a very strong tendency to overrate players. For example, I am an Intermediate and was rated at bboskill as Expert. That is because I was mostly playing against other Intermediates and bboskill was incredibly bad at taking the strength of opponents into account. Of course, if you play regularly against World Class opponents then bboskill Advanced is a strong rating. However, if you think that the bboskill "algortihm" was significantly more reliable than self-ratings then I suspect you are one of the (many) players who are looking for justification for rating differently from the BBO guidelines. For reference, on BBO Expert level is defined as: "Someone who has enjoyed success in major national tournaments", while Advanced is: "Someone who has been consistently successful in clubs or minor tournaments." Which of these describes you better?
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-December-19, 14:32

The math for it is fairly straightforward and available online.

"[T]here is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong."
-- H. L. Mencken
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2012-December-21, 10:03

I know this has probably already been said but for me the problem with the rating system is simple: there just aren't enough options. Especially in the middle range: from BBO

Beginner - Someone who has played bridge for less than one year
Advanced - Someone who has been consistently successful in clubs or minor tournaments

in my opinion to have only one rating option between those two is ludicrous, there's a huge range of abilities between beginner and advanced and they can only be shown in one rating option...

my rant over :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-21, 10:39

Sure, there's a huge range of abilities. But since people can't accurately assess which category they belong in, there's not much point in offering them as options.

A small number of broad categories holds out a small glimmer of hope that players will put themselves in the appropriate one. A larger number of narrow categories practically guarantees that they'll pick the wrong one.

#13 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-21, 11:09

It appears to me that the "everyone lies; you can too" line has been removed from the BBO instructions on how to fill out a profile and replaced with: "All members should strive to give an honest approximation of their skill level. This is very much in the best interest of everyone who plays on BBO."

Thank you for that.

Edit: The "everyone lies" line is actually still there. Oh well...

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-December-21, 11:10

Intriguing idea but there's no demand :) :) :)

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-23, 10:52

View Posteagles123, on 2012-December-21, 10:03, said:

I know this has probably already been said but for me the problem with the rating system is simple: there just aren't enough options. Especially in the middle range: from BBO

Advanced - Someone who has been consistently successful in clubs or minor tournaments

in my opinion to have only one rating option between those two is ludicrous, there's a huge range of abilities between beginner and advanced and they can only be shown in one rating option...

my rant over :)

I don't know what BBO says, but I'd stick "intermediate" between those two:

Intermediate - Someone who has played bridge for more than one year, but has not been consistently successful in clubs or minor tournaments.

:P

That's probably about 95% of all players. Maybe more.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-December-23, 21:20

There already is an "intermediate" level. Eagles123 was suggesting that there should be more than just this one.

For reference, the levels available are Novice, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert, World Class, and Private.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-December-25, 08:39

How are they defined?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-25, 10:26

BBO's Rules of This Site said:

Guidelines for filling out your User Profile

There is an area in your user profile where you can enter information about your level of play. It is not important how well you think you play since most bridge players are unable to assess their own skills with any accuracy. What matters is your level of experience and the degree of success that you have had in live competitive clubs and tournaments. Here are some examples of terms that you can use and how they should be interpreted:

Novice - Someone who recently learned to play bridge
Intermediate - Someone who is comparable in skill to most other members of BBO
Expert - Someone who has enjoyed success in major national tournaments
World Class - Someone who has represented their country in World Championships

Despite the wording above, these are not just "some examples of terms that you can use"; these are exactly your choices (in addition to "private") from a drop-down menu.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users