BBO Discussion Forums: Very hard to describe this hand after pd's double - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Very hard to describe this hand after pd's double

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-08, 11:36

I promise to open 1 with 4 card plus.After my partner's double,no way for me to rebid any suit with some length,I had to rebid 3 only with 3 card,however my partner cuebid 3,it was western cuebid to ask for a stopper in ,now I found I got into trouble! no way for me again,had to bid 3 with small doubletons ! the partner bid 5 as a final contract at a critical moment.
Do you agree our bidding sequences?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-08, 11:57

After you go through this a few times, you will realize it's best to just bid 2N over a neg X with a balanced hand regardless of stopper at the 1 or 2 level and take your lumps. Usually your partner has heart help (no raise), even when he doesn't sometimes they don't lead it, or the suit blocks etc.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-09, 12:09

you had a very sensible auction to 5d and you (your partners) at imps should
be very happy. At Mp is might indeed be better to bid 3n (as per jlogic) at
IMPS this is a highly speculative concept which might cause you to miss
a easily bid slam.

#4 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-10, 07:38

After you go through this a few times, you will realize it's best to just bid 2N over a neg X with a balanced hand regardless of stopper at the 1 or 2 level and take your lumps. Usually your partner has heart help (no raise), even when he doesn't sometimes they don't lead it, or the suit blocks etc.
*** Trade stopper ambiguity for bal description.
Then 3C has 4+clubs, shaping out.
*** Does partner next 3H to ask partial or better H-stop?
So losing the 3H control with extras?

#5 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-March-11, 05:25

My opps are older and obviously more conservative then Justins, so I cannot bid 2 NT with this shape. If I had less hearts, it would be more likely to work. :)
I had bid 3 and 4 clubs instead of 3 and 3 .
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 05:30

Codo, on 2013-March-11, 05:25, said:

My opps are older and obviously more conservative then Justins, so I cannot bid 2 NT with this shape. If I had less hearts, it would be more likely to work. :)
I had bid 3 and 4 clubs instead of 3 and 3 .

You can afford to. Just agree it doesn't promise a stop.

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 05:49

QQ: If we have the agreement that a NT bid says nothing about stoppers in the opponent's suit, should we alert it? I wouldn't have thought so but I would feel ethically uncomfortable having an opponent on lead without this knowledge.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 06:27

This is a situation which is much more difficult playing strong no trump than weak because you have to cater for the possibility of the weak no trump in the 1 opener. Because partner has either shape or points to spare in the weak no trump scenario, we use 2N as Lebensohl style, and would bid the version of 3 that showed no stop (not needed to show 4 spades in this type of auction) to show an awkward hand with no clear direction and no heart stop if we decided this was too good for a 1N opener or had an extra point.

We also almost never negative double with 4 card support (our diamond shows 4), so would bid 2N showing a full value raise to 3 or better not denying 4 spades.

#9 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-11, 06:56

I am not bidding a 3 card suit, nor would I consider the S bid (I think that is really horrid). Lets just hope when I bid NT with confidence they try a different lead.

#10 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-12, 09:29

I would have opened 1nt...
Having opened 1 I would rebid 2nt or 3 if the minimum values for this negative double are around 10hcp.

Steven

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-March-12, 09:40

broze, on 2013-March-11, 05:49, said:

QQ: If we have the agreement that a NT bid says nothing about stoppers in the opponent's suit, should we alert it? I wouldn't have thought so but I would feel ethically uncomfortable having an opponent on lead without this knowledge.

Haven't you answered your own question? You think the opponents might not know about this agreement, you think they should know about it, and the authorities have provided a mechanism for telling them about it. So use it.

Alternatively, it's reasonable to tell them at the end of the auction.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-March-12, 10:21

JLOGIC, on 2013-March-08, 11:57, said:

And it's always fun to watch LHOs expression when dummy's stiff K wins.

They NEVER lead an honor on this auction, unless of course, their suit is solid or maybe AKJ.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 11:00

broze, on 2013-March-11, 05:49, said:

Nah it's just a matter of style. Think of it this way, if you hold this hand then any bid could be considered a "lie", so if 2NT is alertable then every pair should have to alert at least one bid on this auction. Besides, it's a natural bid. It shows a balanced minimum.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#14 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 04:36

lalldonn, on 2013-March-12, 11:00, said:

Nah it's just a matter of style. Think of it this way, if you hold this hand then any bid could be considered a "lie", so if 2NT is alertable then every pair should have to alert at least one bid on this auction. Besides, it's a natural bid. It shows a balanced minimum.

Fair enough, but that would not be true in EBU land where 3 would not be alertable in the example above because it actually shows a club suit (3+). In practice I probably would do as Andy suggests and inform the opponents at the end of the auction that my partner's bid does not promise a stopper. However, I doubt that failure to do so would result in any redress or indeed warrant any? Nevertheless as an opponent on lead I might feel hard done by if I discovered that the NT bid systematically says nothing about stoppers, regardless of whether that's just a "style" or a proper agreement.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#15 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-March-13, 14:54

After you go through this a few times, you will realize it's best to just smoothly bid 2N over a neg X with a balanced hand regardless of stopper at the 1 or 2 level and take your lumps.

From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users