BBO Discussion Forums: Overcall or T.O double ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overcall or T.O double ?

Poll: Double or 1 Spade ? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you double or bid 1 spade

1. Double (30 votes [88.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

2. 1 spade (4 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-16, 13:11

no one vul
partner pass and RHO open 1C (better minor)
Your hand:
AQ943
A963
Ak82
---

Do you double or bid 1 spade ?

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-16, 13:55

I have the distribution for a classic double and the strength for a "strong double". I'll double first and decide later whether I will bid the spades, showing the strong double or just stick to "support for all unbid suits".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-March-16, 15:05

Double is clear as the first action.

The bidding gets more involved later.

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-16, 17:08

Routine double

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-16, 17:54

I don't have a problem with either action, I would add that we are prepared to simple overcall even stronger hands than this.

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-17, 01:00

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-March-16, 17:54, said:

I don't have a problem with either action, I would add that we are prepared to simple overcall even stronger hands than this.

Sure. But to that I would add that I would still double if you would replace the A and K with small cards in those suits.

The question is not whether you are strong enough for a "strong double". That is a matter of style and this strength is on the border. The first question is what you would do with this shape.

I would double because I have takeout shape. Other people might overcall 1 with this shape, but for half of those the hand is strong enough to double and bid spades. That leaves few people who would overcall with this strength and shape. And even if my partner would be one of those people he will not be horribly surprised to see that I doubled.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-17, 01:19

The poll results are clear,

I overcalled, with the idea that I am worth 2 bids, and would prefer to bid 1S and then a double, than first double and then either a second double or 2S.
for example: I preferred 1C-1S-2C/3C-P-P-D then 1C-D-2C/3C-P-P. I thought this is was suggested by both partnership bidding at bridge and mike Lawrence complete book of t.o double, but they didn't actually talked about this specific shape, but more of 5431 (which they suggested to overcall rather than double)

thank everyone

#8 User is offline   ewj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-17, 04:44

Surely double is best if you want to take two bids (at least)...I mean if partner makes a free bid or anything other than a simple response, it makes a potential slam so much easier to bid. I mean 1S could get passed out and you have 6 red cold :P....if 1S gets passed out you would want to cry really...

#9 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-18, 00:41

I have a power double here with xfer responses (Overcall Structure).
I like that here.

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-March-18, 04:32

Dbl. I have great shape and good defense, so I'm not afraid if partner would decide to pass my Dbl. And otherwise I bring 3 suits in the picture instead of just 1.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-March-18, 12:19

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-March-17, 01:00, said:

Sure. But to that I would add that I would still double if you would replace the A and K with small cards in those suits.

The question is not whether you are strong enough for a "strong double". That is a matter of style and this strength is on the border. The first question is what you would do with this shape.

I would double because I have takeout shape. Other people might overcall 1 with this shape, but for half of those the hand is strong enough to double and bid spades. That leaves few people who would overcall with this strength and shape. And even if my partner would be one of those people he will not be horribly surprised to see that I doubled.

Rik

With this shape, I will overcall if strong enough to act again, and double if not. Why ?

Well I prefer 1-1-3-P-P-X to 1-X-3-P-P- (X or 3)

If I'm not good enough to bid again, I'll put 12 cards in play rather than 5.

There is not a big danger of playing 1 when we should be in game although it's possible if partner has a lot of hearts and few points, we respond to the (very sound) overcall as if we'd opened 1.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-23, 01:33

Sorry i miscounted the hcps ( lowercase k)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-23, 07:45

Sorry i miscounted the hcps ( lowercase k)

*** Got me too. Must have been a devalued KING to king.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users