• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kids shooting kids

#81 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-11, 13:31

View Postbarmar, on 2013-May-11, 12:38, said:

Statistics show that guns kept like this are far more likely to hurt or kill a family member or get used for suicide than for personal protection from an intruder.

I sure hope there are no children in the house. Is the drawer locked?

Our younger son is 48; the older one will be 52 this year. So no, there are no children in the house. When they were living here I did keep it in a lock box.

The drawer is not locked.

#82 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-11, 14:02

View Postbarmar, on 2013-May-11, 12:42, said:

It's possible to have gun control and still allow people to shoot at gun ranges; you don't need to have a gun in the home or the ability to carry a concealed weapon. Just as you can have highway speed limits while still allowing people to drive 100+ MPH on race tracks.

No one needs to have an automobile with 500+ horsepower and a demonstrated top speed approaching 200MPH either, but I recently got to drive one; it was fun. Following your line of reasoning all such automobiles should be garaged at race tracks where their owners can come out and drive them occasionally.

#83 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-11, 14:35

View PostChas_P, on 2013-May-11, 14:02, said:

No one needs to have an automobile with 500+ horsepower and a demonstrated top speed approaching 200MPH either, but I recently got to drive one; it was fun. Following your line of reasoning all such automobiles should be garaged at race tracks where their owners can come out and drive them occasionally.

Somehow I don't think you were driving 200 miles per hours on a public road...
If you were, I suspect you broke the law in most states.

And I seem to recall state restrictions on the minimum clearance for car (as well as maximum height restrictions)

States put all sorts of restrictions on what type you can drive, where you are allowed to drive it, what kind of records are kept, yada, yada, yada
Alderaan delenda est

#84 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-11, 14:58

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-May-11, 14:35, said:

Somehow I don't think you were driving 200 miles per hours on a public road...
If you were, I suspect you broke the law in most states.

And I seem to recall state restrictions on the minimum clearance for car (as well as maximum height restrictions)

States put all sorts of restrictions on what type you can drive, where you are allowed to drive it, what kind of records are kept, yada, yada, yada

It was a Porsche Panamera Turbo....0-60 in 3.9 seconds, demonstrated top speed 189MPH, completely street legal and no, I didn't get it up to 189 but I did goose it a few times. My point is this: If the government can say, "You don't really need a pistol, so we'll keep it for you at a gun range somewhere" they can just as easily say, "Well you don't really need a 520HP sedan, so we'll keep it for you at a race track somewhere." I just have a problem with that.

#85 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-11, 14:58

View Postbarmar, on 2013-May-11, 12:38, said:

Statistics show that guns kept like this are far more likely to hurt or kill a family member or get used for suicide than for personal protection from an intruder.

I sure hope there are no children in the house. Is the drawer locked?

I don't have a gun for a whole lot of reasons. Still, I don't like statistical arguments. I'm me, not a randomly selected individual. So it does not follow that because statisstics indicate that on balance a randomly selected person is safer without a gun that therefore I would be safer without a gun. I can in fact imagine circumstances in in which I would buy a gun. But I don't live in those circumstances and I hope I never do.

My experience with guns as protection is limited, very limited, but not zero. I think I will skip the details, but I would say that the results are mixed and could offer support either way by a bit of selective telling. but I think one of the really big problems with it is that it can give a totally false sense of security. There are often better ways, safer ways, if you first stop to think. Think Scout slowing down Mr. Cunningham, for those of you familiar with Mockingbird.

It can be a bit complicated. John Dillinger was once something of a folk hero to many. How? I can't explain it. Tough guys reign. Or something.

Anyway, we could start with background checks. A very useful follow-up would be that a gun owner should be able to pass a test on the legalities. You don't get to shoot someone for butting in front of you in a line, no matter how much you may wish to. And there are a lot of other restrictions. Quite a few times I have heard gun enthusiasts speak about what they would do in such and such a situation, and often I think they would find themselves in jail if they did it. I don't know the details, but in most states I think you have to give a pretty convincing argument that a less lethal response was not practical.

I'm not all that much on trying to keep responsible gun owners from their guns. But I think our current situation is way off. There are a great many irresponsible, I would say totally clueless, gun owners.
Ken

#86 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-11, 15:05

View PostChas_P, on 2013-May-11, 14:58, said:

It was a Porsche Panamera Turbo....0-60 in 3.9 seconds, demonstrated top speed 189MPH, completely street legal and no, I didn't get it up to 189 but I did goose it a few times. My point is this: If the government can say, "You don't really need a pistol, so we'll keep it for you at a gun range somewhere" they can just as easily say, "Well you don't really need a 520HP sedan, so we'll keep it for you at a race track somewhere." I just have a problem with that.

And I am saying that your example is flawed because because you are focusing on one characteristic of a car which isn't regulated as opposed to all sorts of other features that are regulated.
Alderaan delenda est

#87 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-11, 16:22

The thing is, Charles, you are unlikely to go on a shooting rampage because voices in your head tell you to, or you think that someone did you wrong and you're so depressed that you don't think life is worth living but you're gonna take them with you or whatever.

Just as I'm sure you wouldn't try to travel 189 mph on a residential street with kids playing on it.I know someone who has had numerous traffic tickets for speeding - sometimes even the wrong way on one way streets, as well as dui, and it's only a matter of time until he kills either himself or someone else, or both. He should not be allowed to get behind the wheel of a car as he has proven himself incapable of responsible behaviour when he is driving.

The question becomes when does the freedom to do something need to be restricted because it is highly likely to infringe on someone else's rights, sometimes even the right to live? I am not against guns..used to try to shoot coyotes and took a handgun course at one time, but I think saying that there shouldn't be any restrictions on them is right up there with people who'd let a two year old play with light sockets and a screwdriver.

Why would any civilian need something that can kill 30 people in a matter of moments? Let everyone who wants, have a musket, maybe even a bayonet, and good luck to them. Anyone who wants anything else should go through some sort check to see if they have the brains of a mosquito, which these parents obviously don't, or some other reason they shouldn't be trusted with weapons. Also, they should have to demonstrate they know something about the things and the safe way to handle them just as people have to show some idea about driving before they get a license, they can't just go buy a car and have at it on their own. And cars aren't even designed to do damage to teapots. :P

If a hunter needs to use a gun that can spray bullets like window cleaner then he's no hunter.

Also, it seems to me that there are now some restrictions on TV ads aimed a children as then the kids pester the parents to buy "xyz". Maybe something to do with McDonalds and the Happy Meal toys? Not sure. Anyway I agree with the poster above and would go after the company making and selling these guns for toddlers.

#88 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-11, 23:49

In 2010 in the US, about 2,500,000 people died. 62 were children between 1 and 14 due to 'accidental discharge of firearms', 208 from firearm homicide. I suppose if you were an expert at CDC statistics, you would know which category the event described fits. Presumably the homicides were by adults or near adult age minors.

For comparison, transport accidents and non-transport accidents came in at 1425 and 1612 respectively. With 50 times as many events (accidents) to choose from, not to mention all the other reasons, isn't it weird that this event has been chosen as worthy of discussion?

In any event, the rant on guns is all about an event of probability seither 2 in 100,000 or 8 in 100,000.

To me this does not rise to the level of needing new legislation. It is covered quite well by existing state laws - which laws were clearly prescribed as states' rights in the Constitution so long as they did not conflict with Article 2.

Yes. The parent's did not show common sense - a fairly low bar, since that is presumably a level somewhere around the mean - and therefore reasonably often wrong.

BTW - The cause of death for 2 in the 1-14 age range was 'legal intervention'. Now that sounds like a primo thread topic.

#89 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-12, 02:49

View PostChas_P, on 2013-May-11, 10:44, said:

In 1978 my older son was a junior in high school. One night around 11:30 my front doorbell rang. It was three punks, one of whom had a beef with my son because he was dating a girl that HE liked. Their intent was for the three of them to get my son out of the house and do him bodily harm. I opened the door with the .357 in my hand; I didn't point it at anyone, but it was clearly visible. I didn't say one word. I didn't have to. They left and I haven't seen them since.

So there you have my reasoned objection.

Do you think that parents in countries that don't allow guns don't face this kind of problems? (Or parents in the US that don't own a gun.) How do you think they solve that? Are houses burning down all over Europe because teenage boys are having a beef over a girl. Or do you think that teenage boys in Europe are sharing girls peacefully ("How about if I will take her to the movies this week, then you can take her out to eat next week?")? No, of course not.

Other teenage boys are facing the exact same problems all over the world. Jealous punks are ringing doorbells everywhere. Yet, the houses are still standing, despite the fact that their inhabitants don't own guns.

I am very sorry for you, but if you can't manage a jealous teenager and two of his friends who ring your doorbell at 11:30 PM without a gun in your hand, you lack a few essential skills (which IMHO makes you unfit to own a gun). What would have happened if these punks and their fathers would have been as "smart" as you and come back the next evening with their guns? You should thank the good Lord / FSM that they were smarter than you.

And what did you teach your son?
-Your father's .357 will solve all your problems?
-Make sure that your father's gun is bigger than all of your rivals'?
-His .357 talks better than he does himself?

You call that responsible gun ownership? And what do you think your son got to hear the next day? The whole school knows in no time that he needs his daddy with his .357 to solve his problems. That's always good for a big laugh. Let me guess: The girl dumped him pretty soon after this incident.

You are trying to come up with a reason why you need a gun on your night table and you give an example that demonstrates that you are unfit to own one.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#90 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-12, 03:12

View Postkenberg, on 2013-May-11, 14:58, said:

Still, I don't like statistical arguments. I'm me, not a randomly selected individual. So it does not follow that because statisstics indicate that on balance a randomly selected person is safer without a gun that therefore I would be safer without a gun.

That is certainly true. The problem, however, is that each of these individuals perceives themself as (much) better than average. People overrate their own skills whether they are driving skills, or skills needed for responsible gun ownership or any other skill. This is particularly true for those who don't fully understand what skills are needed.

As long as everybody can evaluate for themselves whether they are fit to own a gun this will lead to "unfortunate accidents" such as kids shooting kids. If there would be sensible objective tests and checks that need to be passed to be allowed to own a gun, these "unfortunate accidents" would be reduced significantly.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#91 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-May-12, 07:43

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-May-12, 03:12, said:

That is certainly true. The problem, however, is that each of these individuals perceives themself as (much) better than average. People overrate their own skills whether they are driving skills, or skills needed for responsible gun ownership or any other skill. This is particularly true for those who don't fully understand what skills are needed.

As long as everybody can evaluate for themselves whether they are fit to own a gun this will lead to "unfortunate accidents" such as kids shooting kids. If there would be sensible objective tests and checks that need to be passed to be allowed to own a gun, these "unfortunate accidents" would be reduced significantly.

Rik

Actually, we agree here. Somewhat at least. I quit hunting because I realized that going out in the field every once in a blue moon with a lethal weapon was really not a very smart idea. I am not sure if Dick Cheney considered, or did, give up hunting after his little mishap, but there would be a point to it. He may have grown up in Wyoming, or maybe Nebraska, but that was in an earlier life. There is a lot to be said for knowing who you are, who you have become, and who you are not.

Still, a guy like me, living in a very quiet residential area, retired, seldom in conflict with anyone (except maybe on bbo threads) should show some restraint in telling someone who is living in vastly different circumstances that he, or maybe particularly she, does not need some protection close at hand.

With a little restraint, and some thought, I think some proposals could get very broad support. Background checks are obvious, and there is wide support. Money talks, so the NRA has won a temporary reprieve, but I do think that it is temporary. And I will repeat my suggestion that gun owners should be required to learn the laws governing the use of such weapons and be tested on this knowledge. Most people that I know are not big on guns, but there are some who are. Their views on their right to own guns is one thing, but their views on their right to use guns are, in sme cases, downright scary.

Take the story Charles tells. He answers the door, gun in hand, some boys are there. There has been some trouble about which girl his son is dating. Sounds crazy. Sounds like 16 year old boys, who are often crazy. Ok, first possibility, maybe one of the kids pulls out his own gun and shoots. Oops. Or maybe the boys, who as the story was presented sound pretty nuts, push on in anyway. Well, what good is a gun unless you use it? So Charles shoots one of them. The others come at him. He shoots them. One or two of them die. Far fetched? Not really if you come to the door with a gun in your hand. Now the police come. Charles is protecting himself and his family. Sure. But maybe a cop says "You felt sufficiently threatened so that you brought a gun to the door with you but you still opened the door? Did it cross your mind to not open the door and, instead, to dial for help from the police? " I have no idea where this would go legally but I much prefer not to find out the hard way.

I read recently, although I did not study it in detail, about a guy who was being let out of jail after serving some years for knifing someone. As I got it, everyone agreed that he was not the instigator of the trouble, he was defending himself, but the way things had gone he could have safely backed off before killing his assailant so he ended up convicted of some form of manslaughter. Something along these lines, I did not pay attention to the details.

Mostly I think that gun enthusiasts far overstate the security a gun gives them and far underestimate the legal difficulties that can arise from using the weapon. Not all do, but many do. If we had background checks, and if we required proof of good solid knowledge of legal responsibilities arising from gun ownership, I think we would cut down sharply on the craziness.And I think a lot of support could be had for both approaches. Enough to overcome the NRA. Eventually.
Ken

#92 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-May-12, 08:09

Maybe if we had a law defining arms as flintlock muskets...
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#93 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2013-May-12, 08:18

The only real solution should come from the community: If someone is known to have a gun and kids in his household, isolate them. Don't let your kids near them. Ever. The society can decide that gun ownership is something it doesn't want.

If I had kids I wouldn't let them anywhere near a friend if I would know that there is a gun in his household that is not behind an armoured door with an impossible-to-crack lock.

It is incredible to me that if you get kids, you secure the electric sockets, you put a grate on the stairs, but you leave your gun (which shouldn't be there in the first place) free for anyone to grab under your pillow.

And think about the reasons why you have it. Assuming you really think it's against burglars and the like: It's a great way to escalate a crime. Perhaps someone broke into your house to rob you, well if you point a gun at him, his accomplice will hit you on the back and be forced to fight you for the gun and kill you. Are you willing to escalate situations like this to become life-threatening? Please be smart.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#94 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-12, 08:23

View PostChas_P, on 2013-May-11, 10:44, said:

In 1978 my older son was a junior in high school. One night around 11:30 my front doorbell rang. It was three punks, one of whom had a beef with my son because he was dating a girl that HE liked. Their intent was for the three of them to get my son out of the house and do him bodily harm. I opened the door with the .357 in my hand; I didn't point it at anyone, but it was clearly visible. I didn't say one word. I didn't have to. They left and I haven't seen them since.

So there you have my reasoned objection.

Wow... a "man" who can't deal with a teenagers without a gun...
I guess the bragging about fast cars makes more sense now.

(It is, however, amusing to see how cliched the penis substitution is)
Alderaan delenda est

#95 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-12, 08:42

View Postkenberg, on 2013-May-12, 07:43, said:

Take the story Charles tells. He answers the door, gun in hand, some boys are there. There has been some trouble about which girl his son is dating. Sounds crazy. Sounds like 16 year old boys, who are often crazy. Ok, first possibility, maybe one of the kids pulls out his own gun and shoots. Oops. Or maybe the boys, who as the story was presented sound pretty nuts, push on in anyway. Well, what good is a gun unless you use it? So Charles shoots one of them. The others come at him. He shoots them. One or two of them die. Far fetched? Not really if you come to the door with a gun in your hand. Now the police come. Charles is protecting himself and his family. Sure. But maybe a cop says "You felt sufficiently threatened so that you brought a gun to the door with you but you still opened the door? Did it cross your mind to not open the door and, instead, to dial for help from the police? " I have no idea where this would go legally but I much prefer not to find out the hard way.

Initially, I wrote: "So you used a gun to do something really, really stupid. You were lucky enough that these "punks were wiser than you. And you think this is a good example why guns should be available in your home?". Then I realized that Charles (who seems to be proud of this story) probably didn't realize how stupid his actions were and instead I tried to explain it to him.

And you are just wondering about the legal consequences. Suppose that Charles is "lucky enough" that there are -in the end- no legal consequences for him. How will he live with himself after he has killed a kid (or more) because of a disagreement over his son's date. I doubt that he will proudly tell such a story on BBO.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Charles still thinks: "I would have never let that happen. I was in full control.", because people overrate their own skills.

Rik

#96 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-12, 08:54

View Postkenberg, on 2013-May-12, 07:43, said:

Mostly I think that gun enthusiasts far overstate the security a gun gives them and far underestimate the legal difficulties that can arise from using the weapon. Not all do, but many do. If we had background checks, and if we required proof of good solid knowledge of legal responsibilities arising from gun ownership, I think we would cut down sharply on the craziness.And I think a lot of support could be had for both approaches. Enough to overcome the NRA. Eventually.

I have never been a member of the NRA, so don't really have an axe to grind there. But I have looked at their website. They PROMOTE gun education and safety. See for yourself here or here. So exactly what does "overcome the NRA" mean?

#97 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-12, 09:16

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-May-12, 08:42, said:

And you are just wondering about the legal consequences. Suppose that Charles is "lucky enough" that there are -in the end- no legal consequences for him. How will he live with himself after he has killed a kid (or more) because of a disagreement over his son's date. I doubt that he will proudly tell such a story on BBO.
Rik

The disagreement, as far as I was concerned, was not over my son's date. The disagreement was over three punks showing up at my front door in the middle of the night with intent to harm one of my children.

#98 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-May-12, 10:54

View PostChas_P, on 2013-May-12, 08:54, said:

I have never been a member of the NRA, so don't really have an axe to grind there. But I have looked at their website. They PROMOTE gun education and safety. See for yourself here or here. So exactly what does "overcome the NRA" mean?

That's one of the easier questions. A large segment of the population supports background checks. I believe that it would not be difficult to get a large portion of the population to support licensing based on a demonstrated knowledge of the legal responsibilities of gun ownership. Based on past behavior, it is reasonable to expect the NRA to fight any such legal requirements tooth, nail, and big bucks. Overcoming the NRA means getting such legislation on the books despite their opposition. It has not happened yet, it will probably take a while, it will happen.
Ken

#99 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-13, 06:32

View Postonoway, on 2013-May-11, 16:22, said:

The thing is, Charles, you are unlikely to go on a shooting rampage because voices in your head tell you to, or you think that someone did you wrong and you're so depressed that you don't think life is worth living but you're gonna take them with you or whatever.

Just as I'm sure you wouldn't try to travel 189 mph on a residential street with kids playing on it.I know someone who has had numerous traffic tickets for speeding - sometimes even the wrong way on one way streets, as well as dui, and it's only a matter of time until he kills either himself or someone else, or both. He should not be allowed to get behind the wheel of a car as he has proven himself incapable of responsible behaviour when he is driving.

I do not accept the premise that criminals determine what my rights are.

The fact that some people drive recklessly should not, and indeed does not, constrain my right to drive or to own a vehicle.

Or another example: drunk driving fatalities are in the ballpark with gun homicides in the USA. I don't hear anyone proposing to outlaw drinking because some people drive drunk.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#100 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-May-13, 06:57

View Postbillw55, on 2013-May-13, 06:32, said:

The fact that some people drive recklessly should not, and indeed does not, constrain my right to drive or to own a vehicle.

Yes, it does...

In order to drive said vehicle on a public street you need to

1. Possess insurance
2. Have a driver's license

Thanks for playing!
Alderaan delenda est

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic