Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What kind of squeeze is this?

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-October-21, 06:55

I played this in 4NT on the J of diamonds lead. Assume it was matchpoints and you get the clubs right, West gets horribly squeezed in first 3 suits then two suits, but without the count.

Any ideas what this is called?

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 07:12

He's not really squeezed in spades because there is no menace?

Indeed it looks like 11 tricks no matter what. West throws all his spades on the clubs, then all his non-ace hearts on the spades, leaving him with A 10 which make the last two tricks.

If you swap the 7 and 4 of diamonds though, you get a beer squeeze-endplay!

ahydra

#3 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-October-21, 07:24

View Postahydra, on 2013-October-21, 07:12, said:

Indeed it looks like 11 tricks no matter what. West throws all his spades on the clubs, then all his non-ace hearts on the spades, leaving him with A 10 which make the last two tricks.
ahydra

Once he has bared the A you can set up a heart trick, providing you have retained communication in diamonds.

#4 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-October-21, 09:56

After you cash 5 clubs and 3 spades throwing 2 hearts from South's hand West needs to get down to A and J1075 and you can set up the 12th trick in hearts. It's a strip squeeze.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 12:01

It's a simple squeeze without the count.

It's a strip squeeze.

The term "strip squeeze" normally implies that someone is endplayed to give an extra trick by leading into a tenace. Here we're not endplaying him, we're just forcing him to throw a winner.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 12:25

A strip squeeze doesn't necessarily require a traditional endplay. It does require that a defender is forced to unguard or discard a (potential) winner, and then be forced to lead into a suit that gives the defense an additional trick. Which is exactly what happens here - West is forced to throw a potential winner (the Q) and is then thrown in with the A and can only return a diamond which makes the J the 12th trick.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 12:52

View PostEndymion77, on 2013-October-21, 12:25, said:

A strip squeeze doesn't necessarily require a traditional endplay. It does require that a defender is forced to unguard or discard a (potential) winner, and then be forced to lead into a suit that gives the defense an additional trick. Which is exactly what happens here - West is forced to throw a potential winner (the Q) and is then thrown in with the A and can only return a diamond which makes the J the 12th trick.

I've just remembered why I don't usually participate in discussions about squeeze terminology.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-October-21, 13:09

It's a simple squeeze without the count. there's no endplay or strip element to it.

It's a squeeze. It gains one trick if you read it rather than do something simple like take a heart finesse. Why does it matter what it is called?
These positions are extremely common, but playing for them is nearly always hugely antipercentage.

#9 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 13:34

OK, I looked it up and here's what it is:
http://www.bridgeguy...ry_squeeze.html

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 13:44

View PostEndymion77, on 2013-October-21, 13:34, said:

OK, I looked it up and here's what it is:
http://www.bridgeguy...ry_squeeze.html

If Bridgeguys say it is a strip squeeze then it must be true. Oh wait ...

There's no strip. We have 11 on top and West is just squeezed without the count.

#11 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 13:48

> There's no strip. We have 11 on top and West is just squeezed without the count in two suits.

West either has to unguard diamonds, or strip the A which sets up a heart trick. And according to the above article, which might or might not be true but the example's very close to the hand in question if you bother to look at it, a squeeze without the count and a strip squeeze is essentially the same. Anyway, it's a rather pointless discussion and I think it's about time we all move on to other stuff. :)

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 14:17

View PostEndymion77, on 2013-October-21, 13:48, said:

> There's no strip. We have 11 on top and West is just squeezed without the count in two suits.

West either has to unguard diamonds, or strip the A which sets up a heart trick. And according to the above article, which might or might not be true but the example's very close to the hand in question if you bother to look at it, a squeeze without the count and a strip squeeze is essentially the same. Anyway, it's a rather pointless discussion and I think it's about time we all move on to other stuff. :)

You could have moved on by not replying. :P

And I did read it before concluding it was basically wrong.

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-21, 14:30

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-October-21, 14:17, said:

And I did read it before concluding it was basically wrong.

Indeed, I've always considered "strip squeeze" to be synonymous with "squeeze-endplay", i.e. either you squeeze the victim out of a winner, or you throw him in with said winner to lead into your tenace.

ahydra

#14 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-22, 04:52

If Bridgeguys say it is a strip squeeze then it must be true. Oh wait ...

*** So Bridgeguys attempt to collect by categories used by those they mirror IS THE DEFINITION of those categories???
You way misunderstand their work. The collection IS VALUABLE however categorized.
*** How about define your terms, and show the distinction. Then readers can see a value in that distinction, or BullSHIP just to argue.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users