• You cannot reply to this topic

0/17 Tables found the Club Game

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-January-10, 12:05

How good are your methods over the opponents 1NT opening bid?

#2 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-January-10, 12:14

(1NT) - 3! - ( p ) - 3!
( p ) - 3 - ( p ) - 5

Using homemade system over 1NT. 3 shows 6 s and a maximum strong NT strength or better, 3, 3 shows concentration in that suit, 5 is hoping for the best.
3NT from the east is better than 5 because sometimes south won't lead a heart. Also, switching the hearts and spades in the west hand would make both contracts un-makable.

If I wasn't reckless enough to bid 3, which is a slight overbid here, it would go:
(1NT) - 2 - AP
Become yourself.

#3 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-10, 12:20

If you flipped west and south, EW might go for a number in 2CX (800 in 3C) while NS is going down in 4S. Just saying.

I'd be able to show clubs at the 2 level but our overcall style is aggressive enough that I doubt partner would raise. Tough hand.

#4 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-10, 13:29

I'm aggressive enough that I'd probably double (penalties) with the E hand. Depending on opponents' runouts, I suspect we collect 500 from 2X, or play a club partscore. I can't see a way we'd bid the game.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-January-10, 15:18

View Post32519, on 2014-January-10, 12:05, said:

If East bravely doubles, the final contract would depend NS scrambling methods. EW might reach the lucky 3N but 5 is too hard for most of us :(

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-10, 16:52

double float 1400?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-January-10, 17:55

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-January-10, 16:52, said:

double float 1400?

you'd lead a pointed suit?
Become yourself.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-10, 18:18

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-January-10, 17:55, said:

you'd lead a pointed suit?

My leads are legendary. It's my declarer play, bidding, hand evaluation, mid hand defense and a couple of other things that suck.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-11, 07:23

1) Double for penalty as E (planning to lead AC)

2) NS do something to get to 2H

3) Whoever gets subsequent call of E and W takeout Xes

Then we branch into i) W Xed, ii) E Xed:

i)

4i) E bids 3C

5i) W is too good to pass and bids 3H.

6i) If NS showed exactly 4-4 Hs, E might try his luck with 3N, else he bids 4C NF.

7i) W looks at the bidding so far, the vul, and the fact that all the defensive points are known to be in the same hand, shrugs and raises, hoping E has both black aces as seems slightly better than 50% on the bidding. This is probably the flimsiest call of the auction, but I'd prob make it.

ii)

4ii) W bids something 2-suitery, either 2N or 3H. (probably the latter with no H stop and a S suit, though ideally they've discussed the exact meanings here)

5ii) E bids 3C if able, bidding proceeds as from 6i above..

6ii) If E bid 3C, W now bids 3S if he thinks he's shown the minors, else 3H.

7ii) Bidding proceeds as from 6i above.

If E's double isn't penalties, then I give up
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-11, 08:39

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-January-10, 16:52, said:

double float 1400?

They will probably play 2

View Post32519, on 2014-January-10, 12:05, said:

Good enough to not seek for game after 15-17 NT. When your priority is not to focus on hands that makes game, it is hard to find the 3 NT or 5
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-13, 09:08

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-11, 08:39, said:

They will probably play 2

Why does everyone think N-S will play 2 rather than 2? It depends on the runout system being used.

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-11, 08:39, said:

Good enough to not seek for game after 15-17 NT. When your priority is not to focus on hands that makes game, it is hard to find the 3 NT or 5

This theme is a long-standing source of new threads for the OP and you have little chance of convincing that not looking for these games is ok. The hand would be more interesting with the Q or a king in the South hand and a weak NT opened. Of course in this case the transferred king might be in clubs.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-13, 09:22

I would simply x for penalties and p would be happy to leave it in --we might easily collect 500

not a big loss of imps and probably a pretty darn good mp score. If you are worried about missing

5c why show no concern for missing 3n (same principle):)? The backs of the cards are a constant

reminder that we are playing a game of % and missing a seeing eye game now and then is a small

price to pay for many many more solid results --- the opps may run or may not (neither opp has

a great reason to run) but the x surely gets us off to a great start on this hand with lots of upside

potential. BTW my runouts over x are if you hold a side k in an otherwise balanced hand leave it in.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-13, 14:42

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-January-13, 09:08, said:

Why does everyone think N-S will play 2 rather than 2? It depends on the runout system being used.

You are correct that not every runaway systems will find it. Off topic but i always used DONT like runaways, xx = i have a long suit 2x = x + higher suit 4-4 or better. I find this pretty simple and effective by weak hand.

Assuming that DBL would be penalty and weak hand can take this action.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-January-14, 07:34

And my runouts are a modified form of Spelvic, where 2 shows the pointy suits, so it depends how South sees the hand as to how it goes and both 2 and 2 are possible. One issue with your DONT runouts are that you cannot now stop in 1NTXX and run the risk of missing a game bonus if 4th hand is bust. I doubt that this plus the loss of showing specific suits in most cases makes up for the ability to play 1NTX but there are plenty of others here who agree with you on that point. Within the umbrella of simple methods it is certainly amongst the better ones.
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-17, 11:33

View Postgszes, on 2014-January-13, 09:22, said:

I would simply x for penalties and p would be happy to leave it in

But no sane S would.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#16 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-21, 07:48

I think this is more about philosophy vs methods. If your philosophy is to disturb the oponents NT whenever possible, then you give up on questionable games like this. You take your small wins and agree that you don't go looking for lucky games.

And lucky game it is - there is no way to judge AJxx opposite KQx in the auction - swap West's red suits and game is now pretty poor.
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-22, 05:32

View Posthumilities, on 2014-January-21, 07:48, said:

I think this is more about philosophy vs methods. If your philosophy is to disturb the oponents NT whenever possible, then you give up on questionable games like this.

Exactly

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-22, 07:06

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-January-14, 07:34, said:

And my runouts are a modified form of Spelvic, where 2 shows the pointy suits, so it depends how South sees the hand as to how it goes and both 2 and 2 are possible. One issue with your DONT runouts are that you cannot now stop in 1NTXX and run the risk of missing a game bonus if 4th hand is bust. I doubt that this plus the loss of showing specific suits in most cases makes up for the ability to play 1NTX but there are plenty of others here who agree with you on that point. Within the umbrella of simple methods it is certainly amongst the better ones.

And some people will get to 2 then redouble to show the other 3 suits, I'd in fact show both majors so partner will have a choice.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users