Any solution?

Kind regards.

#2 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2014-January-20, 05:39

Ruff in hand. Draw one round of trump:

1) if both follow, cash A, duck a club. Win the return, ruff the last low club with the Q, and draw trump;
2) if diamonds are 4-0, you need clubs to break 4-2 so cash AK clubs, ruff a low club with the Q and draw trump.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-20, 07:23

View PostEndymion77, on 2014-January-20, 05:39, said:

2) if diamonds are 4-0, you need clubs to break 4-2 so cash AK clubs, ruff a low club with the Q and draw trump.

I think your line is pretty decent, especially the way you played clubs, we can improve your line imo, regarding the need of finding clubs 4-2 when trumps are 4-0

Perhaps we should not have cashed a trump before we establish a spade trick and/or an entry to dummy. Posted Image

Ruff, and cash A, then play Q (we probably can/should play Q before A)

If this holds cash a diamond and see 4-0 break, then play small club (cl A and then small if we did not cash A previously)
If someone takes A, they will have to play something, say they played

a- a spade back; win in dummy and play club and play low if RHO ruffs, or simply just play a diamond to hand after winning 2nd spade and duck a club
b-a heart back; cash a diamond and if 3-1 now you have extra chances to establish hearts if they are 4-3 in addition to other chances. If 4-0, assuming RHO holds 4 of them, cross to dummy with K and play 2nd club to hand and win it if he discards and ruff small club with Q dia, if he ruffs 2nd club then play small and claim

c- a diamond is back; you know what to do.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-January-21, 12:13

I cannot improve on Mr Ace's line, and only have the feeling of déjà vu to report. In more ways than one, as Garozzo once had something like the following hand in the Bermuda Bowl 1955.

In Six Spades, he won the heart lead and played ace and ducked a diamond, guarding against the actual 5-1 break in diamonds. I know the hand appeared in Bridge Magazine in late 1999 or early 2000, as the same theme was found by the Welsh player Tony Haworth. The latter received a ten-year ban for substituting his own cards instead of the ones provided by the organisers. I think the exact pips were the same, but not the ones above. The moral - if you are going to cheat, change the pips and suits!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-January-21, 14:17

I ruff, cash one club and lead a spade to the K. The spade A is almost certainly onside, and I don't want to lead the Q, have West duck it, and then have to lead another.

I intend, once in dummy, to lead a club from dummy. This never loses compared to ducking a club from hand and gains when, unexpectedly, East follows to the 2nd club. Those redoubled overtricks are not to be sneezed at :D

The theme of ducking a trick in a suit, in order to prevent a high honour from being ruffed, is very old in bridge literature.

I could pull a round of trump early, and I think that doing so neither hurts nor improves my chances.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-21, 19:40

View Postmikeh, on 2014-January-21, 14:17, said:

I ruff, cash one club and lead a spade to the K. The spade A is almost certainly onside, and I don't want to lead the Q, have West duck it, and then have to lead another.

If it is ducked you do not play 2nd spade. Now you can afford to cash a trump to see how they break, having already 1 spade trick in pocket. And play small club if you already cashed club A before, if not cl A and small cl now..Posted Image

Basically you do not care who has the spade A.

View Postmikeh, on 2014-January-21, 14:17, said:

I could pull a round of trump early, and I think that doing so neither hurts nor improves my chances.

It will definitely hurt your chances when 4-0 diamonds and 5-1 clubs and E has spade A. Assume you cashed a trump and played small spade to K and E has the A. Now E takes your K and plays a red suit...probably heart and now you lost trump control. Why would you jeopardize a redoubled contract for the sake of making overtricks anyway ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users