BBO Discussion Forums: Best uses for jumpshifts after a 1C/1D opening - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best uses for jumpshifts after a 1C/1D opening 5 card majors, short club, Xfer responses

#21 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-February-02, 08:49

Frequency my dear, its all about frequency. Your own OP says it all, “like maybe once a year” for strong jump shifts.
A jump-shift over either minor suit is the easy one –
1m/2M = Weak and a 6-card suit. Show your full hand in one bid.
Otherwise every change of suit is forcing for one round, no need to consume your own bidding space when both hands have real values. Later on in the auction you can use other gadgets if needed e.g. Serious/Non-Serious 3NT.

#22 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 09:19

View PostMickyB, on 2014-January-31, 08:56, said:

1C:2H [4-8 6+hearts] leaves you terribly placed compared with 1C:1D, 1NT where you can now bid 2H to sign off, 2C:2D, 2H as an invite or jump to [or transfer to] 4H on a maximum WJS.

Can't see what you are getting at here, as I use 1C 2M as 6 card up to 8hcp. If partner wants to bid or invite game with a strong hand he can do, or he can pass, depending on his hand. Playing stayman and transfers after a strong 1NT rebid means 2D is an obligatory transfer to 2H. This is followed by 3H with 9+hcp and 6 card, but if 5 card it can be passed for a weak takeout or followed by 2NT invitational or 3NT GF. WJS seems to fit well to me. It gives good definition to the 6 card majors.

It also has the benefit that 1C 1red completion 2M is 6 card 9-12, so opener has an easy pass/invite/game decision.

#23 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 11:58

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-January-30, 18:32, said:

I've seen people propose reverse flannery with 5 spades and 4 hearts by responder, and that's definately something to consider, but I'm not sure what else to do.

My choice is to play an artificial responder 2/ by responder and then 54xx or 45xx is no problem. Transfer to the 5 card major, and if completed (12-14, denies 4 card support) a rebid of 2 is invitational or better, confirming a 5 card major without the other major, and a rebid of 2 is invitational or better 5 card major with the other 4 card major. It's better to get opener to play the hand because the minor leads go round to his holdings.

A less than invitational 45xx or 54xx starts 1NT (see below) and if opener fails to bid a 4 card major you transfer to the 5 card suit.

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-January-30, 19:49, said:

Isn't the situations where opener rebids his minor the ones where you have the biggest reverse flannery problems? Though I guess partner is not going to rebid his minor if he has 4 spades, so the problems might be irrelevant.

We can't miss a spade fit because opener normally rebids 2 on 6 clubs without 3 card heart support, but if he is 4xx6 he will rebid 1 after 1 1. An invitational or better 54xx will start 1, and if opener breaks the transfer to bid 2 he may have 4 hearts, but responder bids 2 invitational anyway (or 3H GF).

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-January-31, 08:51, said:

No - 1S is 5+ diamonds and 1NT is balanced.

I think this is a bit limiting. Making 1 a relay (normally soliciting 1NT) gives you more options, as then for example you can pass, raise, bid 2m to play, 2M as game invitation or better in the corresponding minor (if declined can end in 2NT or 3m depending on fit), 3m as natural slam suggestion. Then you can use 1NT to mean a specific awkward hand, such as in my case weak 5/4 or 4/5 majors.

#24 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-02, 12:09

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-January-30, 18:32, said:

What do people do with their 2 level jump shifts after ... 1D (and 1H-2S)?

As others have said and do, 1 2M = WJS, and 1 2 = 13+, 4 card support. The latter in context of Kaplan inversion, where while a forcing artificial 1 response normally denies 5 spades, if followed by 2 it shows a weak 6 card suit, so you don't need a WJS.

#25 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 08:15

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-February-02, 09:19, said:

Can't see what you are getting at here, as I use 1C 2M as 6 card up to 8hcp. If partner wants to bid or invite game with a strong hand he can do, or he can pass, depending on his hand. Playing stayman and transfers after a strong 1NT rebid means 2D is an obligatory transfer to 2H. This is followed by 3H with 9+hcp and 6 card, but if 5 card it can be passed for a weak takeout or followed by 2NT invitational or 3NT GF. WJS seems to fit well to me. It gives good definition to the 6 card majors.

It also has the benefit that 1C 1red completion 2M is 6 card 9-12, so opener has an easy pass/invite/game decision.

The hands you make a WJS on, I can bid -

1C:1D, 1N:2H - to play
1C:1D, 1N:2C, 2D:2H - invitational
1C:1D, 1N:4H

On these hands, you are bidding 1C:2H, 3H or 1C:2H, 4H - you don't get to stop in 2H and you've less accuracy when deciding between 3H and 4H.

#26 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-February-03, 14:58

http://www.bridgebum...jump_shifts.php

Soloway changed his jump shift style years ago to this three way jump shifts.

The third type is the fit jump. Lower the point count to minimum with a perfect opening hand.
5-4-3-1 fit. Must have a singleton or void.

1 - ?

AKQxx x xxx Axxx

Bid 2. With a double fit, two minimum opening hands often produce 12 tricks.

#27 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-February-03, 17:13

View Postjogs, on 2014-February-03, 14:58, said:

http://www.bridgebum...jump_shifts.php

Soloway changed his jump shift style years ago to this three way jump shifts.

The third type is the fit jump. Lower the point count to minimum with a perfect opening hand.
5-4-3-1 fit. Must have a singleton or void.

1 - ?

AKQxx x xxx Axxx

Bid 2. With a double fit, two minimum opening hands often produce 12 tricks.

This is how I was playing 'strong' jump shifts. It did, indeed, never happen. While this is in part because often you didn't want to make a jump shift over our short club opening. It's hardly frequent.

#28 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 18:48

I prefer lowering the standards for the fit jump. Originally it was about points only. Then Cohen told the masses trump fit matters. Later Lawrence/Wirgren told us about shortness in the side suits. Combine all the variables into the bidding. Many pairs play fit jumps in contested auctions. Start playing fit jumps in all auctions.
Remember 5431 is much better than 5422. With 5422 one still needs about 16 HCP for a fit jump. With 5431 the right 11 HCP may work.
1 - ?

Axxx x xxx AKxxx

Bid 3. When you catch pard with the magic minimum, 12 tricks is a heavy favorite.

KQxxx Axx x QJxx

6 will usually make.

#29 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 19:42

View PostMickyB, on 2014-February-03, 08:15, said:

The hands you make a WJS on, I can bid -

1C:1D, 1N:2H - to play
1C:1D, 1N:2C, 2D:2H - invitational
1C:1D, 1N:4H

On these hands, you are bidding 1C:2H, 3H or 1C:2H, 4H - you don't get to stop in 2H and you've less accuracy when deciding between 3H and 4H.

Yes we do get to stop in 2H. Opener will not normally invite on a doubleton. But you are right that when opener has 3, and a 17/18 count, we play in 3H invitation declined when you will be safer playing in 2H. However, 3H is not that unsafe when you are a combined 21+ 9 card fit or a 23+ 8 card fit. There is no accuracy problem. Opener would be the one making the invitation, not responder, and only opener knows if his side suits are suitable or not.

You have the advantage on that, but I think your suggestion has these bigger drawbacks :
  • you do not have the pre-empt of 1C 2M when you want it - when the points break around 20/20 and the other side may or may not have a major fit
  • if your weak 5 card major opposite a strong opener goes down the same route as the weaker WJS you are wrongsiding that whereas I am not
  • your weak 54xx is wrongsided when it plays in hearts
  • in fact if you use XYZ or similar, all your weak or invitational major contracts are wrongsided, unless it is a version I am unfamiliar with
  • if your WJS goes 1C:1red, 1M:pass, this is a wake up call to the opposition and you give them an easy ride
  • if your WJS goes 1C:1red, 1M:2M, then I think you have problems trying to describe a stronger 6 card suit where opener may have game on but may want to play in 2M.

#30 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 19:53

He could easily fix that by playing transfer XYZ. So play the sequence:

1C-1D;
1NT-2D; as a retransfer to hearts. Invitational with hearts is wrong sided though.

#31 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 19:55

View Postjogs, on 2014-February-03, 18:48, said:

1 - ?

Axxx x xxx AKxxx

Bid 3. When you catch pard with the magic minimum, 12 tricks is a heavy favorite.

KQxxx Axx x QJxx

6 will usually make.

I think you might achieve the same result when you bid 2NT and opener shows a diamond shortage, or you show a heart shortage, depending on your methods. Sorry, off topic. Back on topic, while I agree with fit jumps in other places, certainly not after a club open that could be a doubleton.

#32 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 20:02

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-February-03, 19:53, said:

He could easily fix that by playing transfer XYZ. So play the sequence:

1C-1D;
1NT-2D; as a retransfer to hearts. Invitational with hearts is wrong sided though.

I may be a bit obtuse at 2 in the morning this part of the world, but I don't see the point of responder inviting if opener is showing a 2-point range. If it is to invite requesting a 3 card suit, then let opener invite if he has it. By dropping xyz completely, you have more freedom in your responses, and can probably cater for more hand shapes, or better definition.

#33 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 09:41

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-February-03, 19:55, said:

I think you might achieve the same result when you bid 2NT and opener shows a diamond shortage, or you show a heart shortage, depending on your methods. Sorry, off topic. Back on topic, while I agree with fit jumps in other places, certainly not after a club open that could be a doubleton.

I play Hardy style 2/1. With Kxxx, Kxxx, xxx, AK I open . Do you ever open 1 with a doubleton and not have both four-card majors? Think there must be a major suit fit or club fit when you are 5-4.

#34 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 10:19

View Postjogs, on 2014-February-04, 09:41, said:

I play Hardy style 2/1. With Kxxx, Kxxx, xxx, AK I open .

We, who play Hardy (or those who play Lawrence) style, have entirely different issues..all interrelated.

"Best uses" for jumpshift responses won't be resolved here, because of that. Same with "checkbacks". When we don't respond 1D with a 4-card major unless G.F., checkbacks after this start can be natural in Hardy style; but an artificial 2C might be necessary otherwise.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#35 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 11:46

View Postjogs, on 2014-February-04, 09:41, said:

I play Hardy style 2/1. With Kxxx, Kxxx, xxx, AK I open . Do you ever open 1 with a doubleton and not have both four-card majors? Think there must be a major suit fit or club fit when you are 5-4.

Whenever I have a semi-balanced hand, because 1 has a shortage or is 6 cards. I see your point, though, if you have a minimum 3-card suit.

#36 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 15:47

I forgot about 4333. So it is possible that there is only a 5-3 fit. The fit jump is only forcing to game. So unless opener makes moves toward slam responder should make no aggressive moves pass game.

#37 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-05, 00:13

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-February-03, 20:02, said:

I may be a bit obtuse at 2 in the morning this part of the world, but I don't see the point of responder inviting if opener is showing a 2-point range. If it is to invite requesting a 3 card suit, then let opener invite if he has it. By dropping xyz completely, you have more freedom in your responses, and can probably cater for more hand shapes, or better definition.

We play it a 3 point range - 17-19. 1NT is 14-16. 2NT is 20-21.

We do this because it helps us in other places - limiting openers minimum rebid to 11-13 makes simplifies judgement on the most frequent hand types, and the 14-16 NT is about 30% more frequent. It does make XYZ or similar extremely useful though.

#38 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-February-06, 09:43

We play:
2 = INV 6+
2 = reverse flannery (5-9HCP)
2 = mixed raise (5-9HCP, 5+)
3 = weak raise (0-5HCP, 5+)

Difference between weak or mixed raises on borderline hands is based on the suit quality (good suit makes 3NT more attractive)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users