• You cannot reply to this topic

Hangin' Bot

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-05, 00:38

My link

Match points, ACBL robot individual

The auction can't happen. Under ordinary circumstances, North shouldn't even raise to 3 because it punishes partner for protecting. Personally, I think 2 shows nothing but an unwillingness to sell out and a willingness to bid partner's hand as well as my own (I would also bid 2 directly with North's hand and expect partner to give me some leeway). However, the system notes say I promised 10-16 for my bid, and I'm certainly well within that range. That being the case, why is North leaping to game with his 10 count? Given North's flat distribution, we're likely to have game only if I have a great hand (and was asleep at my first chance to bid). So why doesn't North just bid 3 and find out whether I'm at the top of my bid? Note that when South's took potentially stronger action with this hand directly over 1, North let him/her off the hook by cue bidding then backing off. Dare I hope that someone is working on correcting this?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-05, 06:48

It looks like GIB does not differentiate between a direct overcall and a balancing bid. Clearly, he should.

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-05, 08:42

Actually, it did differentiate. Those who overcalled directly on Jxxxx (which has a higher upper limit than the balancing overcall according to the notes) ended up only in 3. It was only the balancers who got the noose.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users