• You cannot reply to this topic

No Exit

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-05, 09:11

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

I'd recommend that someone relook the structure of responses to balancing take-out doubles. The current construct can leave South with no good options. The display hand is an example. North's 3 is forcing for one round only, and does not promise another bid. In response, South's options were: 3 (or 3 or 3), non-forcing and likely to be passed, based on my experience; 4, not a cue bid but showing of all things and non-forcing (I've been passed out in this bid); or a suit at the 4 level, showing a "strong rebiddable suit." Of these, I chose 4, which also promised 3 and 3, not thinking that North would pass me out in the only suit he didn't have. Silly me. Doesn't it make more sense for 4 to be a cue bid, asking North (who has said nothing about distribution at this point) to name its suit? After all, does South really want to play in a suit that West has bid and rebid? And shouldn't the "strong rebiddable" suit requirement for a jump in a suit be replaced with "better than s" or some such? After all, South has a balancing jump overcall available to show a good long suit in a good hand. And perhaps the 3 cue bid should be forcing to game and North should just bid the suit he does have with a lesser hand instead of making a nebulous cue bid and then bailing out.

Of course, all of this could have had a happy ending, because, with careful play, 4 will make as long as the split 4-3 and the 4th is not with the long s. No such luck, of course.

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-August-05, 09:37

I ran into a balancing situation the other day that I could not successfully negotiate.

I had a balanced 18 count in balancing seat.after the bidding (1) - P - (P) to me. A 1NT call was 11-14 HCP. A 2NT call was 20-22 HCP. So I tried double. My GIB partner bid 2. Now my 2NT rebid was 19-21 HCP. A cue bid showed support for clubs, which I did not have. There was no way to show my hand.

I chose 2NT anyway, got raised to 3NT, and managed to make the contract for a good score. But that is obviously not the point.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users