BBO Discussion Forums: Minorwood Alert - ACBL - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minorwood Alert - ACBL Is an alert required at the time the 4 of Minor bid is made?

#1 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-11, 20:33

Is Minorwood Alertable at the time the bid is made?

Or, is it a Delayed Alert, after the auction?

If an opponent asks immediately following the bid, what should be the explanation?

Thanks! :unsure:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-11, 21:15

It requires an immediate alert if it's responder's first bid. If it's made after that, the alert should be delayed. If opponents ask, alert or not, you explain your agreement: asks about keycards, setting partner's minor as trumps.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-11, 21:32

The reason it's a delayed alert is because there are no immediate alerts for bids above 3NT starting with opener's rebid.

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-August-12, 14:00

...This whole thread is ACBL-focussed....

(I know the posters know that, but just in case anyone else doesn't)

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-August-12, 15:49

Of course it is. It says so in the thread title.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-13, 08:23

Just because the poster provided the context doesn't necessarily mean that the answer is only correct in that context. But in this case, RAs differ widely in their rules about alerting bids above 3NT. Although the general direction is "no alert", I think; they just differ in the exceptions.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-August-13, 09:11

View Postbarmar, on 2012-August-13, 08:23, said:

Just because the poster provided the context doesn't necessarily mean that the answer is only correct in that context. But in this case, RAs differ widely in their rules about alerting bids above 3NT. Although the general direction is "no alert", I think; they just differ in the exceptions.

Somebody in the ACBL is going to read this and think "no alerts above 3NT", which is not true. Alerts above 3NT are frequently delayed, but they're still required. I would suggest that if people want to know what's required wherever they are they should read the pertinent regulation.
--------------------

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-14, 07:50

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-August-13, 09:11, said:

Somebody in the ACBL is going to read this and think "no alerts above 3NT", which is not true. Alerts above 3NT are frequently delayed, but they're still required. I would suggest that if people want to know what's required wherever they are they should read the pertinent regulation.

Why would they think that when blackshoe and I both said above that it's a delayed alert. You think they'll just read my message about general trends and ignore the specific answers given earlier? Should I not have bothered posting that if I wasn't going to be redundant about the exceptions that I already explained?

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-August-14, 09:36

Hm. Is there more than one blackshoe here? Do I have a split personality?

People do illogical things all the time. However, if it'll make you feel better, I'll retract my comment.
--------------------

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-August-14, 22:21

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-August-14, 09:36, said:

Hm. Is there more than one blackshoe here? Do I have a split personality?

Obviously I didn't notice who wrote the message I was replying to. It didn't seem like a message from someone who knew that it had been spelled out clearly that it was a delayed alert.

#11 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-May-30, 09:52

I think that my question is similar: in a bidding with diamond trump by,let's say, S partner N bid 4 that is kickback (having already bidded heart nat in early round). We know that this bidding can (sometimes) confuse. Than alerting 4 [kickback] is not an indication for partner (that doesn't risk to confuse) ? Is this allow ? Thanks.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-May-30, 10:15

What should be alerted and when depends on the jurisdiction. You're in Italy, so it depends on Italian regulations, and I don't know those.
--------------------

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-May-30, 10:38

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-May-30, 10:15, said:

What should be alerted and when depends on the jurisdiction. You're in Italy, so it depends on Italian regulations, and I don't know those.

In Italy, when i has played on tournament in my town at club, the use was that when is made a bid with conventional meaning and not natural needs beat with hand twice on table without explaining anything so indicating that bidding was conventional (eventually opp can required my partner). But i have seen that playing in Bbo club players alert in box of bidding indicating also (in this case) [kickback]. So i think that it can be indication to apply convention indicated(=kickback) and it could be an indication or helpfull for partner. Is this also on tournament ?

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-30, 11:43

View PostLovera, on 2015-May-30, 10:38, said:

In Italy, when i has played on tournament in my town at club, the use was that when is made a bid with conventional meaning and not natural needs beat with hand twice on table without explaining anything so indicating that bidding was conventional (eventually opp can required my partner). But i have seen that playing in Bbo club players alert in box of bidding indicating also (in this case) [kickback]. So i think that it can be indication to apply convention indicated(=kickback) and it could be an indication or helpfull for partner. Is this also on tournament ?

On BBO, you can only see the alerts that your opponents make. You cannot see the alerts that your partner makes.

So, if on BBO, someone alerts his own 4 bid (because it is kickback), he alerts, types in "keycard ask" and makes the bid. His partner will only see the 4 bid, not the alert or the explanation.

(This is obviously only true if the alert procedure is used, not if the explanation is given by a chat message.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users