BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1095 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#21621 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-18, 12:06

View Postkenberg, on 2024-July-18, 07:23, said:

And, if I understand it correctly, she converted him to vegetarianism. I'll stick with my steak but I am impressed.

Vegetarian, isn't that half way to gay in MAGAspeak

#21622 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-18, 14:53

Ok guys. I accept Biden has to go. But please, please, please can we do it quickly?
Ken

#21623 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-19, 06:21

View Postkenberg, on 2024-July-18, 14:53, said:

Ok guys. I accept Biden has to go. But please, please, please can we do it quickly?

I think that you're addressing this to the wrong people...
This all requires the Biden decides to refuse the nomination

The latest rumors are that he's stepping down on Sunday
Who knows if they are any more real than the last rounds of rumors

Few thoughts on this end

1. Two years ago, I was hoping that Biden would step aside
2. Last year, when it was clear that Biden wouldn't step aside, I was reasonably happy to support Biden

However, even a year ago, I always considered Biden winning the primary as being an option on nominating Biden rather than a necessity. I believed that if something went terribly wrong, the party would step in an do the right thing.

I sure as hell didn't want this to happen. I consider the outcome fro this process to be much worse than either

1. Some other candidate winning a competitive primary process
2. A healthy, energetic Biden

But, we are where we are.

It feels like the party has made a decision.
I hope Biden is able to do the right thing (and do so quickly). But this is an incredibly difficult choice to make...
Alderaan delenda est

#21624 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-19, 06:35

View PostAl Phalpha, on 2024-July-17, 18:30, said:

Personalities are insignificant. Only policies will be considered.

Trump is a rapist
Trump and his family are banned from operating charities because they stole fro cancer patients
Trump was fined millions of dollars for running a fraudulent university
Trump's company was fined hundreds of millions of dollars for fraud
He incited a mob to attack the capital
He stole classified documents

And, of course, the last time he was in office, he tried to steal the 2020 election.

But, by all means...

Listen to Trump's policy speeches!
Pretend that you can trust a word that comes out of the mouth of this congenital liar...

I'm sure that this will help inform your decision making.
Alderaan delenda est

#21625 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-19, 07:10

View Posthrothgar, on 2024-July-19, 06:21, said:

I think that you're addressing this to the wrong people...
This all requires the Biden decides to refuse the nomination

The latest rumors are that he's stepping down on Sunday
Who knows if they are any more real than the last rounds of rumors

Few thoughts on this end

1. Two years ago, I was hoping that Biden would step aside
2. Last year, when it was clear that Biden wouldn't step aside, I was reasonably happy to support Biden

However, even a year ago, I always considered Biden winning the primary as being an option on nominating Biden rather than a necessity. I believed that if something went terribly wrong, the party would step in an do the right thing.

I sure as hell didn't want this to happen. I consider the outcome fro this process to be much worse than either

1. Some other candidate winning a competitive primary process
2. A healthy, energetic Biden

But, we are where we are.

It feels like the party has made a decision.
I hope Biden is able to do the right thing (and do so quickly). But this is an incredibly difficult choice to make...

"to the wrong people"? Ok, but the :right people", whoever they are, are probably not listening to me anyway. I am commenting, expressing my hopes and disappointments.

I guess it is likely Biden will drop out. It appears this is because a large number of prominent Democrats are calling on him to do so. My main point, my main disappointment, is that this large number of prominent Democrats could have spoken up much earlier. Had they done so, the dropping out would probably have taken place much earlier. If not before the debate then very soon after the debate. Watching the debate, it was clear to me, and to a great many others, that Biden must either give very convincing evidence that his debate performance was some completely out of character weird event that did not reflect his actual situation, or he needed to drop out. The second of these options appareed far more likely to me, but A. I do not follow Biden day to day and B Biden would not be listening to my opinion. But surely all of these Democratic leaders who are now calling for him to step aside saw the same thing that the country and the world saw at the debate. They had to get together quickly and address this quickly.

As you say, here we are.

I am not sure you and I are in any great disagreement. It's a mess. I think that this could have been and should have been handled better.
Ken

#21626 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-19, 17:02

I, for one, am totally fed up with the "politics of personal destruction". I really don't need to hear what "the other guy" did wrong. Records speak for themselves.

Does the record of planning and staging an insurrection on January 6 count as part of the record?
Inquiring minds want to know. BTW, I am referring to Convicted Felon Trump, not Biden in case there was any question.

Tax policy then: Convicted Felon Trump signed a tax giveaway to the richest millionaires and billionaires in the country that cost trillions in government revenue, one reason the deficit has exploded. Average Americans got either nothing, or just small amounts of tax breaks.

Tax policy now: Convicted Felon Trump wants to enact tariffs on all imports to the US. Trump still doesn't understand (or he understands and can't stop lying) that consumers end up paying the cost of tariffs, and that the countries (and companies) exporting to the US don't pay the tariffs. The net effect is higher costs (ie inflation) for everybody, with lower income classes paying a bigger percentage of the cost because all or almost all of their income is spent one way or another. Trump also wants to extend his disastrous tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations that are due to expire next year.

Economic policy: Convicted Felon Trump claims that he can end inflation. A complete lie as economists say his tax and economic plan will actually increase inflation.

Foreign policy: Convicted Felon Trump wants to do away with NATO and form an alliance with Russia and North Korea. Basically, Trump has told Putin that he will be free to invade any country he wants and America will stay on the sidelines.

Foreign policy: Convicted Felon Trump has claimed he could end the Ukraine-Russia war in one day. Of course, by ending the war, Trump means that Ukraine should unconditionally surrender to Russia. Not unexpectedly, Ukraine doesn't think much of that idea. Would Trump send US military, or threaten Russia with nuclear weapons? Nope, just talk. Sure, that will work.

Foreign policy: Convicted Felon Trump has no plans to help resolve the Israel-Palestinian conflict except to say that nothing would have happened if he was president. Sure, make up ridiculous lies and repeat as often as necessary for your stooges to believe it.

DOJ policy: Convicted Felon Trump plans to appoint the most rabid cult members who have no respect for the law to leadership positions in the DOJ, and have them dismiss all the federal charges against him, while at the same time, bringing the full force of the DOJ against his enemies, political, business, or otherwise.

Government bureaucracy: Convicted Felon Trump wants to fire all the top civil servants by reclassifying their jobs as political appointees so he can appoint his personal cult members to do whatever he tells them, whether legal or not.

Personalities are insignificant. Only policies will be considered.

Apparently policies aren't being considered at all.

#21627 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-July-19, 17:54

View Postjohnu, on 2024-July-19, 17:02, said:

Foreign policy: Convicted Felon Trump has claimed he could end the Ukraine-Russia war in one day. Of course, by ending the war, Trump means that Ukraine should unconditionally surrender to Russia. Not unexpectedly, Ukraine doesn't think much of that idea. Would Trump send US military, or threaten Russia with nuclear weapons? Nope, just talk. Sure, that will work.

I think you have gotten this wrong. Trump is going declare himself as the winner of the Russia-Ukraine war and keep a victory parade at Times Square.

#21628 User is offline   Al Phalpha 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-July-19, 19:36

View Postjohnu, on 2024-July-19, 17:02, said:

Does the record of planning and staging an insurrection on January 6 count as part of the record?
Inquiring minds want to know. BTW, I am referring to Convicted Felon Trump, not Biden in case there was any question.

Tax policy then: Convicted Felon Trump signed a tax giveaway to the richest millionaires and billionaires in the country that cost trillions in government revenue, one reason the deficit has exploded. Average Americans got either nothing, or just small amounts of tax breaks.

Tax policy now: Convicted Felon Trump wants to enact tariffs on all imports to the US. Trump still doesn't understand (or he understands and can't stop lying) that consumers end up paying the cost of tariffs, and that the countries (and companies) exporting to the US don't pay the tariffs. The net effect is higher costs (ie inflation) for everybody, with lower income classes paying a bigger percentage of the cost because all or almost all of their income is spent one way or another. Trump also wants to extend his disastrous tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations that are due to expire next year.

Economic policy: Convicted Felon Trump claims that he can end inflation. A complete lie as economists say his tax and economic plan will actually increase inflation.

Foreign policy: Convicted Felon Trump wants to do away with NATO and form an alliance with Russia and North Korea. Basically, Trump has told Putin that he will be free to invade any country he wants and America will stay on the sidelines.

Foreign policy: Convicted Felon Trump has no plans to help resolve the Israel-Palestinian conflict except to say that nothing would have happened if he was president. Sure, make up ridiculous lies and repeat as often as necessary for your stooges to believe it.

DOJ policy: Convicted Felon Trump plans to appoint the most rabid cult members who have no respect for the law to leadership positions in the DOJ, and have them dismiss all the federal charges against him, while at the same time, bringing the full force of the DOJ against his enemies, political, business, or otherwise.

Government bureaucracy: Convicted Felon Trump wants to fire all the top civil servants by reclassifying their jobs as political appointees so he can appoint his personal cult members to do whatever he tells them, whether legal or not.

Apparently policies aren't being considered at all.

Hey, if you're all for open borders, runaway inflation, student loan forgiveness, and the green new deal (I assume you're driving a Tesla), by all means stick with the Dems. That's your right as a free American. Some of us have a different view.

#21629 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-19, 20:03

I, for one, am totally fed up with the "politics of personal destruction". I really don't need to hear what "the other guy" did wrong.

View PostAl Phalpha, on 2024-July-19, 19:36, said:

Hey, if you're all for open borders, runaway inflation, student loan forgiveness, and the green new deal (I assume you're driving a Tesla), by all means stick with the Dems. That's your right as a free American. Some of us have a different view.

Well, it seems you weren't fed up for long.

I will never have the slightest clue why people try to make these arguments. No matter what party you vote for in the world, even if they agreed with you on everything they can't achieve every single thing you desire without someone else missing out, so you can say voting for them is terrible due to (those that missed out).

Voting for a party does not mean you are strongly in favor of everything they say they are going to do, and strongly oppose everything they say they aren't going to do. I don't even believe that is a logically possible viewpoint (though based on what we hear in the media in NZ, it seems a lot of Americans think it is).

#21630 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-19, 20:11

Beware, smerriman. :)

You are getting sucked into this thread :lol:

#21631 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-20, 03:49

Al Phalpha, on 2024-July-19, 19:36, said:

Thanks for clarifying that "some of us" means the QOP and that you actually have no intention of voting for a Democrat. I am actually a very conservative lifelong Republican who will never vote for a MAGAt QOP, who are free to secede and reform the confederacy.

BTW, the borders are not open contrary to QOP fantasy illegal crossings have had big drops in 2024, and immigration is driven by bad economic conditions in Mexico, Central America, and South America. Inflation is way down to normal levels in the past year as the US and the world recovers from the Covid pandemic. BTW, under Biden, the US has recovered tens of millions of jobs lost by Convicted Felon Trump who is the only president to have a net loss of jobs during their term in office, and millions of businesses have been created or restarted since Convicted Felon Trump was kicked out of office. Also, thanks for clarifying that you are anti-climate change, anti-green energy, anti-EV, etc, etc. although anybody who can read between the lines already knew that.

#21632 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-20, 04:05

That's your right as a free American. Some of us have a different view.

But you're not a "free American"

You're a ***** accelerationist troll who suspiciously joined the bridge forums right before a major election.

Sometimes you're on the left.
Sometimes you're arguing from the right
You have no principles
You're only goal is sowing discord

I don't know what your motivation is. I suspect that, after the election, when the paycheck's dry up, you'll be off to ... I don't know... spread vaccine misinformation or whatever it is than will earn you a few potatoes and a cup of borscht.

Or, alternatively, maybe this is some form of masturbation and we'll be unlucky enough that you'll stick around. But, whatever, you do, don't pretend that anyone is taking you seriously. You were obvious from your very first post. As I said then, you really suck at your "craft". Its just sad to watch.
Alderaan delenda est

#21633 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-20, 06:01

hrothgar, on 2024-July-20, 04:05, said:

... But, whatever, you do, don't pretend that anyone is taking you seriously. You were obvious from your very first post. As I said then, you really suck at your "craft". Its just sad to watch.

But you are taking Al Phalpha seriously. You are getting triggered!

hrothgar, on 2024-July-20, 04:05, said:

I don't know what your motivation is. I suspect that, after the election, when the paycheck's dry up, you'll be off to ... I don't know... spread vaccine misinformation or whatever it is than will earn you a few potatoes and a cup of borscht.

Or, alternatively, maybe this is some form of masturbation and we'll be unlucky enough that you'll stick around.

Not sure if this is a new low for this thread; sure reads like one.

kenberg, on 2024-July-16, 15:04, said:

I am guessing, or maybe hoping, you lean toward the R side. We could use some good discussion. Here we mostly think alike, or enough alike that posting gets pointless.

kenberg, you have your answer. The board here needs a pure R to participate in debates, someone not "debased" by any MAGA resembling assertions, someone who will continue the natural order of a two-party system where both sides agree on all key issues except some superficial ones [insert latest fad here].

#21634 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-20, 06:16

shyams, on 2024-July-20, 06:01, said:

But you are taking Al Phalpha seriously. You are getting triggered!

There are different theories on how to deal with folks like Al Phalpha

I subscribe t the philosophy that you mock them and you insult them.
Your milage may vary...

I will note in passing that to me, at least, taking someone seriously involves responding to the facts that they are posting...

Ad hominem attack is not a sign that I take an individual "seriously".
Rather, its an attempt at branding and dismissal
Alderaan delenda est

#21635 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-20, 06:49

I think treating people differently based on where they were born, or where their parents were born, or where their ancestors were born, is unchristian.

I can understand having border checks for security reasons.

Having numerical quotas on legal immigration is immoral.

#21636 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-20, 08:46

I meant to say:

A poll woould show we all oppose runaway inflation.

Now do we think the Fed shoulld cut interest rates right now? I prefer to leave it up to Powell. But the point could be argued.
Ken

#21637 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2024-July-21, 08:48

Hi all. I've seen around and i want to say my thinking about President Biden and that the article of New York Times:https://www.nytimes....-president.html by Bernie Sanders finds me totally agree. It needs to choice the quality of his works to avoid vary complications.

#21638 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-July-21, 12:01

OK, so Biden is gone - now what ?

#21639 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-21, 12:16

View PostCyberyeti, on 2024-July-21, 12:01, said:

I have no idea. And if I could thinkk of a stronger way to express confusion and uncertainty I would do so.

I very much hope that the Democratic Party has a group of intelligent, thoughtful and creative people who can work together on this.

I and others have said this all should have been addressed earlier but I also realize it is easy to sit at a compluter and criticize. So forget my gripes, let's go forward.
Ken

#21640 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-July-21, 12:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2024-July-21, 12:01, said:

It will be interesting to see what comes next.

I am comfortable with any of the following

1. A Harris coronation
2. A “primary” leading to a Harris nomination
3. A primary leading to someone else being selected.

(In this case the expression "primary" means an open convention with Biden's delegates free to vote for whomever they want.

Just so long as there isn’t a circular firing squad.
(And I am still hoping that Andrew Yang gets punched in the face a few times)
Alderaan delenda est

• 1095 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

111 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 111 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google