BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1096 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#4801 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-20, 07:11

ldrews, on 2017-February-20, 06:46, said:

What I want or don't want and what a friend "owes" me are two entirely different things. Are your friendships based on obligations?

No mine are, among others, based on friendliness and mutual respect. Do you think that Trump's BS on Sweden was friendly or respectful towards the Swedes?

Do you think it would be friendly and respectful towards the Swedes for Trump to apologize and explain?
Do you think it would be friendly and respectful towards the Swedes for Trump to just ignore his gaffe?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4802 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 07:15

Are Swedish people and/or politicians and diplomats really so upset about this? It's not even like was saying anything terrible about Sweden. He said some random nonsense which on the face of it referred to Sweden but he might have confused Sweden with Switzerland or Swaziland or whatever. Who takes him seriously anyway?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4803 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 07:36

I will try to be clear as to how I think things have gone seriously haywire.

Trump's comment about "what happened last night in Sweden" is not, by itself, all that serious. I can see why people in Sweden would be offended, but if this were an outlier all could be smoothed over. Unfortunately I see it as one example of a very recurrent pattern.

Trump speaks of how all countries look out for their own interests. Of course. Who ever thought that they did not? But if every time a friend speaks he is talking about how from now on he will be watching out for his own interests, I start to think that I had better not enter into any agreement with him that requires trust. There is short term self-interest and long term self-interest. For long term self-interest it is not only important that I can trust him to hold my wallet, also I can trust that he will be there when I need him. And vice-versa.

Trump says that he will make America great again. Whatever he means by this, he had better make us very great because with the way we are going at it, we will have no friends, no support, nobody to work with on a basis of trust. I believe this is a most serious error.
Ken

#4804 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 07:50

ldrews, on 2017-February-19, 21:11, said:

Significant reduction in military presence around the world
Renunciation of being the policeman for the world
Significant improvement of opportunities for the middle/working class
Significant improvement in the plight of inner cities
Significant improvement in control of our borders
Significant improvement in our educational system

ldrews, on 2017-February-19, 21:54, said:

I understand. You have different priorities than I do. That is why we have elections, to determine which priorities will be favored. Trump won.

Honestly, other than border control, I doubt that Trump or his administration give a crap about any of that. You thought you voted for your priorities, but in reality you were sold a bill of goods.

Then again, I have been wrong before. Time will tell.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4805 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 08:48

helene_t, on 2017-February-20, 07:15, said:

Are Swedish people and/or politicians and diplomats really so upset about this? It's not even like was saying anything terrible about Sweden. He said some random nonsense which on the face of it referred to Sweden but he might have confused Sweden with Switzerland or Swaziland or whatever. Who takes him seriously anyway?

Are the US citizenry upset when some leader makes a comment about their situation? The counter-point being that Trump has the back-up to do something about it....
Take him seriously while understanding the mentality of the use of power, control and influence from the top of a hierarchy. Trump is used to it and is very blase about his personal implications but very serious about the measure of his "success" to his own set of standards. In business you just have to be right more than you are wrong, based on financial considerations. That leaves a lot of room for error and adjustment.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#4806 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 09:00

ldrews, on 2017-February-20, 06:46, said:

What I want or don't want and what a friend "owes" me are two entirely different things. Are your friendships based on obligations?

There are two sides to most questions, and I can understand why Trump supporters might get fed up with facing the sheer weight of opinion here and in the media. But when the only way to defend a President who spouts complete nonsense is to start an irrelevant semantic argument about the words others use in reacting to it, then anyone who takes that course of action really doesn't give the impression of being interested in reality.

#4807 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-20, 09:18

billw55, on 2017-February-20, 07:50, said:

Honestly, other than border control, I doubt that Trump or his administration give a crap about any of that. You thought you voted for your priorities, but in reality you were sold a bill of goods.

Then again, I have been wrong before. Time will tell.

For example:

billw55, on 2015-August-17, 09:20, said:

I wish people would stop taking Trump seriously. Like several other candidates, he has adopted the recent trend of using a fake and/or obviously hopeless presidential candidacy as a marketing gig, enabled by a mountain of free publicity from the slobbering media. He can say any stupid thing he wants, because he isn't serious and knows he is just going to drop out later.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4808 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-20, 09:51

Trinidad, on 2017-February-20, 07:11, said:

No mine are, among others, based on friendliness and mutual respect. Do you think that Trump's BS on Sweden was friendly or respectful towards the Swedes?

Do you think it would be friendly and respectful towards the Swedes for Trump to apologize and explain?
Do you think it would be friendly and respectful towards the Swedes for Trump to just ignore his gaffe?

Rik

I share your basis for friendship: friendliness and mutual respect. But as a friend you do not "owe" me anything, nor I you.

I think if would be friendly and respectful toward the Swedes if Trump explained. I haven't heard anything that would require an apology. Could you explain exactly what Trump said that merits and apology?

#4809 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-20, 09:51

Comedians are in for lean times. How can you satirise a press club nference or a speech that seems indistinguishable from a parody?

I think that Trump is being played by someone. Bannon? Putin? I fear this will not end well.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4810 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 09:57

WellSpyder, on 2017-February-20, 09:00, said:

There are two sides to most questions, and I can understand why Trump supporters might get fed up with facing the sheer weight of opinion here and in the media. But when the only way to defend a President who spouts complete nonsense is to start an irrelevant semantic argument about the words others use in reacting to it, then anyone who takes that course of action really doesn't give the impression of being interested in reality.

I disagree with you. One of the things that ticks me off is the overreaching sense of entitlement and righteousness that the "liberal/left" supporters communicate to me. The use of "owe", "entitled", etc. are unwarranted, incorrect, and offensive to me.

But so what?

#4811 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:18

IMO, the simple explanation is that the vast right-wing propaganda mechanism has been incredibly successful in creating an alternative reality bubble where anyone who doesn't believe is an enemy; however, the only way this could have worked is if Neil Postman was right when he wrote that we are "Amusing Ourselves To Death" with the merger of information and news. Living through the Trump campaign, one thing was obvious to me that Trump was dominating the videos shown on all the news channels. In fact, a CBS news executive was reported to have said, "I don't know if he is good for the country but he's good for CBS". Putting on an entertaining show - with short, easily repeated concepts (build a wall, lock her up, etc.) - designed to entertain rather than inform, lead, explain, or dignify.

We have elected the WWF "wrestler" who stood in the middle of the ring, holding the mike, and yelling the loudest how he would crush his opponents.

The next midterms are stacked in favor of the Republicans, so this cycle will last at least 4 years. Resistance must be for the long haul. I recommend to anyone interested to look on either Facebook or Google and search for their local group named Indivisible, started by congressional aides who wrote a short document on how to legally and effectively fight back. Indivisible is a nationwide grassroots organization aimed at Congressman and Senators, both national and state, to promote a progressive agenda and to push back against Donald Trump's agenda.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#4812 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:24

ldrews, on 2017-February-20, 06:47, said:

The world is coming to an end when my opponent wins! God forbid that he wins the election legally!

We have a leader who was elected (legally) by a minority of the voting population. According to his job approval numbers, a majority of the country does not think he is doing well (and it has gotten worse since his inauguration). Now one of his supporters is suggesting we should change the Constitution, using a method which favors smaller and more conservative states (thus again allowing a minority of the country to "outvote" the majority and basically disenfranchising people who live in the large coastal cities).

I stand by my previous pictorial comment. Just because the Constitution (a document written over two centuries ago when few democracies existed) allows something does not make it democratic, or right. And in many ways the Republicans are perverting the overarching goals of equality and justice by their attempts to disenfranchise large fractions of Americans.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4813 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:32

ldrews, on 2017-February-20, 09:57, said:

I disagree with you. One of the things that ticks me off is the overreaching sense of entitlement and righteousness that the "liberal/left" supporters communicate to me. The use of "owe", "entitled", etc. are unwarranted, incorrect, and offensive to me.

But so what?

OK, you feel that it is wrong to feel "entitled" to an explanation.

Do you have any worries about the president spouting absolute nonsense in the first place, or do you think that is entirely for him to worry about and it is not for us lesser mortals to question the ways and means of the great and the good?

#4814 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:41

https://cfmedia.dead...-3-41-43-pm.png

#4815 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:43

Note: I do not know who to attribute that to.

#4816 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:48

helene_t, on 2017-February-20, 07:15, said:

Most that I know are laughing. But most also want the implication that Sweden is seriously suffering from terrorist attacks publicly rectified. Americans thinking that Sweden is unsafe, is unlikely to be good for Swedish business.

Well, the good thing in this deal is that now most American will be reminded that Sweden is the capital of Denmark (or something like that).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4817 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 10:59

awm, on 2017-February-20, 10:24, said:

We have a leader who was elected (legally) by a minority of the voting population. According to his job approval numbers, a majority of the country does not think he is doing well (and it has gotten worse since his inauguration). Now one of his supporters is suggesting we should change the Constitution, using a method which favors smaller and more conservative states (thus again allowing a minority of the country to "outvote" the majority and basically disenfranchising people who live in the large coastal cities).

I stand by my previous pictorial comment. Just because the Constitution (a document written over two centuries ago when few democracies existed) allows something does not make it democratic, or right. And in many ways the Republicans are perverting the overarching goals of equality and justice by their attempts to disenfranchise large fractions of Americans.

So you are in support of a Constitutional Convention to bring the Constitution up to date?

#4818 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 11:02

WellSpyder, on 2017-February-20, 10:32, said:

OK, you feel that it is wrong to feel "entitled" to an explanation.

Do you have any worries about the president spouting absolute nonsense in the first place, or do you think that is entirely for him to worry about and it is not for us lesser mortals to question the ways and means of the great and the good?

Actually his nonsense worries me. But I reserve judgment for his actions over a reasonable period of time. In my opinion he has put foxes in charge of the hen houses (cabinet nominees). Since I think the government needs shaking up and change of direction I applaud.

#4819 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-February-20, 12:05

ldrews, on 2017-February-20, 10:59, said:

So you are in support of a Constitutional Convention to bring the Constitution up to date?

How can you possibly take what Adam wrote and make something completely different from it? For that matter, how can you take what Trump says and take that to mean something completely different as well? Is English not your native language? Perhaps you are on the wrong side of "The Fence".
(-: Zel :-)

#4820 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-February-20, 14:00

ldrews, on 2017-February-20, 11:02, said:

Actually his nonsense worries me. But I reserve judgment for his actions over a reasonable period of time. In my opinion he has put foxes in charge of the hen houses (cabinet nominees). Since I think the government needs shaking up and change of direction I applaud.

Let's take Trumps actions and see if it fits your thinking about shakeups.

The greatest threat to the U.S. comes non-white, non-Christian immigrants and refugees.
The second greatest threat to the U.S. comes from non-white Mexicans.

The greatest need of the U.S. is for the rich to have more money through tax cuts and regulation abandonment.
The second greatest need of the U.S. is to reduce spending by not allowing federal funds to be used to grant a more equal access to healthcare.
The third greatest need of the U.S. is tariffs and better trade deals.
The fourth greatest need of the U.S, is to redistribute the savings from healthcare to increased military spending.

These are the actions and proposals that have come from the Trump camp thus far. I really don't see anything here that matches your list unless you meant to place anarchy at the top and forgot.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

• 1096 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

137 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 135 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. kenberg,
  3. pilowsky