BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1096 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#21901 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted Yesterday, 20:59

If Harris isn't elected after this Trump debate fiasco, the United States should push the self-destruct button.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#21902 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Yesterday, 21:17

View PostWinstonm, on 2024-September-10, 20:59, said:

If Harris isn't elected after this Trump debate fiasco, the United States should push the self-destruct button.

I’d say the USA will have already pushed the self-destruct button if they elect Trump after this debate fiasco.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#21903 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 21:58

It's a clear choice between something

#21904 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 06:12

Looks like Trump made a dog's breakfast out that debate.
Fortuna Fortis Felix

#21905 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 06:12

View Postjillybean, on 2024-September-10, 20:16, said:

I don't pretend to understand politics like the contributors here do.
However, IMO Harris killing it.

I am glad to see that you are back to the discussion.

I am, however, less entusisastic about the Harris performance. I suppose that in the next week or so there will be plenty of polls. I will be surprised if there has been any improvement in her standing. Becky and I watched only the first half hour oor so, we will try to watch the rest today. We rarely watch tv after 8 and the debate started at 9 our time. But realy Beky found it unsatisfactory, I saw it as painfully disappointing.

I am with you in not claiming to understand politics, especially the effest of speeches and debatess, all that well. I hope my assessment is way off. I impatiently await the polls.
Ken

#21906 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted Today, 07:29

Perhaps it was Trumps usual, vile, angry outbursts (Immigrants eating family dogs and cats?) and failure to convey any Presidential qualities or policies that made Harris look like a winner, in my eyes.

I will be interested to hear your and Becky's opinion after watching the entire broadcast.

I, along with the rest of the world will be watching closely for the next 55 days.

edit: I agree, Harris response to the Economic question was a significant stumble.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#21907 User is online   kenberg 

Posted Today, 07:30

I now have my morning coffee so I will expand a little on the above. Let's take the first question to Harris:

"When it comes to the economy, do you believe Americans are better off than they were four years ago?"

Here is the start of her answer:

"So, I was raised as a middle-class kid. And I am actually the only person on this stage who has a plan that is about lifting up the middle class and working people of America. I believe in the ambition, the aspirations, the dreams of the American people. And that is why I imagine and have actually a plan to build what I call an opportunity economy. "

You do not have to be a political expert to think that the first part of a response to the question should be either "Yes, I do believe Americans are better off than they were four years ago" or "No, I do not believe Americans are better off than they were four years ago" But that was not her answer, not at the beginning, not at all.

Ok, so maybe she said something that would attract voters? I am trying to think of the voter who responds with "My goodness, I had no idea that Harris believes in ambition, aspiration and dreams. Now that I know she favors such things of course I will vote for her"

I did not think her responses got better as we got further on.

My overall view of the race: When Harris replaced Biden there was enthusiasm. Thiis was fueld by many people seeing Trump as the total louse that he is, and seeing Biden as being in no mental shape to serve another four years. So polls showed Harris looking better than Biden did. But thatbump up of enthusiasm has taken place and now more is needed. I don't think the debate provided what was needed.

We shall see.

One more thing. Becky and I were not alone in only watching the first half hour, or at least I doubt we were alone. Many people are not up for 90 minutes of political back and forth. The first half hour counts for a lot, just as the opening part of the first response counts for a lot.

But I will get to the remaining parts of it. I cannot speak for Becky, she really did find it very unsatisfying.
Ken

#21908 User is offline   awm 

Posted Today, 09:31

I thought Kamala Harris's answer here was good, even though it's something of a dodge.

The point of this question is convince Americans that are worried about their economic situation that you care about them and will work to make their lives better.

Giving a literal (yes/no) answer here is basically a trap. An answer that "yes, Americans are better off" (even if true for a majority or on average), will convince these worried voters that she does not care about their situation. An answer that "no, Americans are not better off" will be an admission that Trump was better on the economy. Any comments about non-economic things (like Covid or abortion rights) in answer to this question will convince such voters that she doesn't understand their issues.

She gave the best possible answer to this trap, by pivoting to how she comes from a middle class background and has plans to help people who are struggling economically.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#21909 User is online   kenberg 

Posted Today, 10:10

View Postawm, on 2024-September-11, 09:31, said:

I thought Kamala Harris's answer here was good, even though it's something of a dodge.

The point of this question is convince Americans that are worried about their economic situation that you care about them and will work to make their lives better.

Giving a literal (yes/no) answer here is basically a trap. An answer that "yes, Americans are better off" (even if true for a majority or on average), will convince these worried voters that she does not care about their situation. An answer that "no, Americans are not better off" will be an admission that Trump was better on the economy. Any comments about non-economic things (like Covid or abortion rights) in answer to this question will convince such voters that she doesn't understand their issues.

She gave the best possible answer to this trap, by pivoting to how she comes from a middle class background and has plans to help people who are struggling economically.

Fair enough, not all yes/no questions can be answered simply. But she really did not adress it at all.

From what I have been reading, I gather that many people think Harris did very well. I remain skeptical.

The debate provided her with opportunity. I hope that those who think she did well with this opportunity are correct. I just did not see it that way.
Ken

#21910 User is online   kenberg 

Posted Today, 11:56

I have now read the transcript of the debate.

https://www.washingt...formance-polls/ is a WaPo article. Some excerpts.

Vice President Kamala Harris turned in one of the more resounding debate performances in recent decades on Tuesday night — to the point where Donald Trump's allies have struggled to locate a silver lining.

They cite quick polls about the debate.

The CNN poll showed Harris winning the debate 63 percent to 37 percent among debate-watchers, while the YouGov poll showed her winning 54-31 among registered voters who watched at least some of the debate, with 14 percent unsure

And they comment

Perhaps the worst numbers for Harris in the poll were on issues. Despite her win, debate-watchers still preferred Trump by 20 points on the economy (55-35) and 23 points on immigration (56-33).

This last explains my doubts. Harris was very effective in highlighting Trump's bad features. But we all knew this already. More was needed. Saying what a total jerk.scumbag/whatever Trump is gives viewers nothing new, and thus (my thinking) is not likely to move voting preferences much.

Ken

#21911 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted Today, 13:56

I haven't watched the debate yet, but I've seen clips and Harris did pretty much what I expected her to do. She was poised while Trump rambled as usual. Her experience as a prosecutor gives her a huge advantage in scenarios like this. I also watched the documentary "Girl Talk" (about the experience of the girls in the Newton South (MA) debate team) over the weekend; at the end they had a montage of famous women who had been on debate teams when they were in high school or college, and Harris was in the list.

But I don't know how much effect it will have. Remember that because of the Electoral College, only the 7 swing states really matter. Many people are staunchly in one camp or the other, nothing in the debate is going to switch their votes. There's a small percentage of people in these states who are undecided and need to be swung, but what really matters is energizing people to go to the polls in the first place.

I'm staking my hopes on issues like reproductive rights getting out the progressive voters, I don't think it will be the Trump vs. Harris personality or policy differences.

#21912 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted Today, 14:51

View Postkenberg, on 2024-September-11, 06:12, said:

I am, however, less entusisastic about the Harris performance.

Harris had three main goals last night

1. Do no harm
2. Help Trump to self destruct
3. Introduce herself to swing state voters

There are all sorts of focus groups, real time "dial" analysis, and polls showing that Harris was wildly successful with all of this

I'm sorry that she didn't also spoon feed you whatever magic words you need to hear to feel better about things
Alderaan delenda est

#21913 User is online   kenberg 

Posted Today, 15:30

View Posthrothgar, on 2024-September-11, 14:51, said:

Harris had three main goals last night

1. Do no harm
2. Help Trump to self destruct
3. Introduce herself to swing state voters

There are all sorts of focus groups, real time "dial" analysis, and polls showing that Harris was wildly successful with all of this

I'm sorry that she didn't also spoon feed you whatever magic words you need to hear to feel better about things

I figured that one of her goals would be to get those who were still unsure about whom to vote for to decide to vote for her, or perhaps even to get some who were planning to vote for Trump to rethink this.
I hope she succeeded. Perhaps she has. I guess we will see. I very much hope so, I would be very happy to find that my skepticism was mistaken.

I'll still be voting for her even if she doesn't spoon feed me. I'll cope. Actually I am not expecting anyone to spoon feed me. I suppose if someone really wants to, we could talk about it. Nah.
Ken

#21914 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 17:20

It's hard to understand why a reasonable person (looking at you Ken) could watch the debate and take away from it that Harris was not satisfactory because of a couple of cherry-picked answers.

When the other person on the stage was a ranting unhinged lunatic?

Did you find the Trumpy fantasies about immigrants eating cats more palatable?
Fortuna Fortis Felix

#21915 User is online   kenberg 

Posted Today, 18:41

View Postpilowsky, on 2024-September-11, 17:20, said:

It's hard to understand why a reasonable person (looking at you Ken) could watch the debate and take away from it that Harris was not satisfactory because of a couple of cherry-picked answers.

When the other person on the stage was a ranting unhinged lunatic?

Did you find the Trumpy fantasies about immigrants eating cats more palatable?

I have been having second thoughts and this stuff about eating cats and dogs is one of the reasons. My thinking had been that since everyone, including Trump supporters, knows Trump goes off on truly weird tangents it wasn't going to help to keep pushing that. But the cat and dog eating claims might still come as a shock. William Brangham on PBS looked into it and apparently Vance says he has been recieving reports but the police have not been recieving reports. Brangham asks "If your dog went missing would you contact the police or write to your senator?" Actually, a cat I had went missing and I called animal control. They had her, I went and rescued her. Writing to my senator did not occur to me.

So sure, the reports are fake as with so much of what Trump says. My thinking was that we all know Trump makes stuff up so pointing this out will not get votes that Harris does not already have. But yeah, maybe I'm wroong.

I was not intending to cherry pick. I started with the first question and her response because I think if the responder does a bad job there it is more of a problem than making a slip halfway through when people are drinking their second glass of wine and nodding off.

Anyway, if I were her adviser as she was gettng ready for the debate I would hace advised a differebt approach from the one she took. But then maybe there is a reason why I was not hired as her adviser.
Ken

#21916 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 19:07

Aparently when a place has gone to the dogs eating them is a no-no

The vote still seems quite close

Commentators also seem to think debating prowess was on display - different style to where I learned debating

• 1096 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

79 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 77 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Facebook,
  3. Gerardo,
  4. kenberg