BBO Discussion Forums: 5432 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-31, 11:23

When did you last see a trick made up of 5, 4, 3 and 2 of the same suit in that order? (I imagine 2, 3, 4, then 5 might be quite a bit more common.)

This was a hand from Division 2 of England's Premier League yesterday:

2 was a constructive weak 2 (about 8-11 HCP). 4N = RKCB(?), 5 = 1 or 4 key cards. 6 was not completely obvious, but intended as choice of slams and south eventually passed. Now west came up with a Lightner double requesting a lead - a particularly dubious choice given that he would actually have been on lead against 6! North decided 6 might be safer, and east doubled for his own reasons (perhaps he was confident Q would be a trick).

West led J, and south led a "low" . When west carelessly played low himself, he found 5 wasn't so low after all when it won the trick! Note that 5 wasn't just led for effect. If declarer leads 10 west might realise that he ought to go up with A! Now he can return a . Declarer's only way back to hand to repeat the finesse is by overtaking K. But now there is no way back to dummy to cash the winning s after establishing the suit with the marked ruffing finesse...

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 16:07

Not seen that before but have seen a first round of trumps going 2-3-4-discard, also the most bizarre of my life, the last 2 tricks being won by declarer's 5-4 of trumps with a defender following twice.

Nice hand.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-01, 06:44

I once led low from dummy, ducked in hand, then waited for LHO's return. There was quite a tank before I realized that he had also ducked and I was still on lead. Don't remember the exact spots though.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-02, 08:55

I came close to that in a hand I've posted about on this forum, where a trick went 5-(discard)-2-3. If you have a long solid suit down to the 4 or 5, it's not going to be that uncommon. In the OP's hand, clearly if declarer's intention is to finesse against Q, he has no need to overtake the 5...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users