BBO Discussion Forums: How light can you open without having to alert it or have it on your convention card? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How light can you open without having to alert it or have it on your convention card?

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2017-January-19, 04:10

We play Acol and are subject to EBU regulations.

I have just read about the Rule of 18 and Rule of 19 in the EBU Blue Book section on Permitted Understandings, but no mention of the Rule of 20. Do I take it that an agreement to open at the 1 level using the Rule of 20 is not alertable but the others are?

#2 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-January-19, 04:58

The rules of opening depend on which level you are playing. There are two main levels - level 2 and level 4 (level 3 is no longer used in EBU competitions).

The simple answer is that you can open at the one level on 8 high card points or more, subject to the following: -
AT level 2 the hand must either have 11 points or more or satisfy the rule of 19 - 1NT is 10+ (any single range e.g. 12- 16, no singleton or 7 card suit)
AT level 4 the hand must (in 1st or second position) satisfy the rule of 18 - 1NT is 9+ (any single range e.g. 16 - 20, can contain a singleton, no more than 9 cards in any two suits and no 7 card major)

Please note that these are absolute limits. You CANNOT open at the 1 level by agreement below these minima. Since they are built into EBU regulations you don't have to alert that your agreement may go as low as this. All players are expected to know the regulations of the EBU in the Blue Book.

You do not need to alert an agreement to open on a hand based on a 'rule of xx' as that is just an agreement to be more restrictive than the minimum allowed. The rules are you alert (or announce if appropriate) a bid that

(a) is not natural; or
(b) is natural but has a potentially unexpected meaning.

In Acol 1-level bids are natural (3+ cards in the minor, 4+ cards in the major) and i don't think that guaranteeing the 'rule of 20' is 'potentially unexpected' so don't alert them

"A bid of a suit which shows that suit (3+ cards) and does not show any other suit;preference bids, completion of transfer bids and raises may be on shorter suits" - are defined as 'natural'
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-19, 06:44

In terms of those who use the Rule of 18/19/20 for their opening bids, the appropriate form of disclosure is on the system card.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-19, 09:47

In a club environment where "everyone" opens conservatively, I would mention that openings are very light at the beginning of the round to make sure that they are not disadvantaged. Against experienced players, such as in a tournament environment, simply exchanging systems cards without specific commentary is sufficient. It would not be correct to alert during the auction in either case.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users