Sufficient explanation ?

#21 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-25, 11:05

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-July-25, 08:59, said:

Well, that's a new one. Basis?

Oh, I thought that was obvious?
It is not "your own misunderstanding" if you draw the wrong conclusion(s) from opponents misinformation. And such misinformation exists whenever an explanation is incorrect or incomplete in any way.

The way I understand Law 21A is that it applies when a player claims misunderstanding of opponents' correct information (and also if he claims that he has misunderstood his own side's agreements).

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 14:20

So personal opinion. Okay.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-July-26, 09:52

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-24, 16:25, said:

I would always ask for more details on this type of auction. The terms Astro, Aspro, Asptro all sound too much alike, so that they are easily mis-heard.

Since they never actually used any of those names, I don't see how this is relevant.

#24 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2018-July-26, 09:52

Is there misinformation though - if the description was "Hearts + a minor" then that is accurate (although not complete). Here the player relied on his own presumption as to the specific suit lengths promised, as opposed to finding them out (which he couldhave done). I would say he falls into this category.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#25 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-July-26, 10:04

View Postpran, on 2018-July-25, 11:05, said:

Oh, I thought that was obvious?
It is not "your own misunderstanding" if you draw the wrong conclusion(s) from opponents misinformation. And such misinformation exists whenever an explanation is incorrect or incomplete in any way.

The way I understand Law 21A is that it applies when a player claims misunderstanding of opponents' correct information (and also if he claims that he has misunderstood his own side's agreements).

I think it also applies if the opponent alerts, but you decide not to ask for an explanation, but instead assume that you know what they're alerting about.

E.g. 1NT (2 Alert!)

If you assume it's Cappaletti showing a single suit, but they're playing DONT, you have no redress.

The issue in this thread is when they explain, but the explanation doesn't include all details. Does 21A apply because you could have asked for more info rather than assuming, or is it MI because they should have mentioned those details in the first place. How much cross-examination are players expected to do to protect themselves from making unwarranted assumptions?

For instance, in my experience, most people who play Michaels and Unusual NT expect them to show at least 5-5, but 2-suited NT overcalls are more often at least 5-4 either way. So if I hear an explanation of these conventions that doesn't get specific about the expected lengths, I'm not going to grill them. I expect that players who have unusually specific agreements to disclose them proactively. Unless they play almost exclusively in an insular environment where everyone plays like they do, I think they know that they're not mainstream and a generic explanation will be misleading.

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-26, 10:30

View Postbarmar, on 2018-July-26, 10:04, said:

I think it also applies if the opponent alerts, but you decide not to ask for an explanation, but instead assume that you know what they're alerting about.

E.g. 1NT (2 Alert!)

If you assume it's Cappaletti showing a single suit, but they're playing DONT, you have no redress.

The issue in this thread is when they explain, but the explanation doesn't include all details. Does 21A apply because you could have asked for more info rather than assuming, or is it MI because they should have mentioned those details in the first place. How much cross-examination are players expected to do to protect themselves from making unwarranted assumptions?

For instance, in my experience, most people who play Michaels and Unusual NT expect them to show at least 5-5, but 2-suited NT overcalls are more often at least 5-4 either way. So if I hear an explanation of these conventions that doesn't get specific about the expected lengths, I'm not going to grill them. I expect that players who have unusually specific agreements to disclose them proactively. Unless they play almost exclusively in an insular environment where everyone plays like they do, I think they know that they're not mainstream and a generic explanation will be misleading.

If I could like this post I would, you've summed it up perfectly.

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-July-26, 13:10

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-26, 10:30, said:

If I could like this post I would, you've summed it up perfectly.

Me too. But it also points out yet another weak area of the laws.

#28 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-26, 17:36

I don't know about ACBL, but where I play the ALERT never says anything about whether a call is natural or not.

The ALERT here is simply a warning to opponents: "You may have interest in asking for our partnership understanding with this call".

The effect of ALERT is that unless opponents have ensured that they have received correct information they cannot afterwards claim misinformation.

This does of course not relinquish a partnership from the duty to make its partnership understandings available to its opponents. (Law 40A1b)

#29 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-July-26, 18:43

Just wish to note that when I am told the name of a convention I always ask what it means (if I am in a bad mood I will simply ask them again what the bid shows). Though I have never asked eg the length of the suits a Michaels bidder is showing, and have been burnt by this enough times that I should know better.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#30 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-27, 03:28

View Postpran, on 2018-July-26, 17:36, said:

I don't know about ACBL, but where I play the ALERT never says anything about whether a call is natural or not.

The ALERT here is simply a warning to opponents: "You may have interest in asking for our partnership understanding with this call".

The effect of ALERT is that unless opponents have ensured that they have received correct information they cannot afterwards claim misinformation.

This does of course not relinquish a partnership from the duty to make its partnership understandings available to its opponents. (Law 40A1b)

This reminds me of a case where an opp opens 2 and it's alerted, I look at the convention card which is folded and see "Benji Acol" on the front of it (so 2 is an Acol 2 in any suit), I use our conventional defence to this and it turns out they were playing 2 as "Acol 2 in any suit or a weak 2 in diamonds" which caused all sorts of chaos as partner realised this and I didn't, and we defend it like it's a weak 2 in diamonds, and is definitely not what ANYBODY would call Benji Acol.

#31 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-July-27, 04:27

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-27, 03:28, said:

This reminds me of a case where an opp opens 2 and it's alerted, I look at the convention card which is folded and see "Benji Acol" on the front of it (so 2 is an Acol 2 in any suit), I use our conventional defence to this and it turns out they were playing 2 as "Acol 2 in any suit or a weak 2 in diamonds" which caused all sorts of chaos as partner realised this and I didn't, and we defend it like it's a weak 2 in diamonds, and is definitely not what ANYBODY would call Benji Acol.

Misinformation.
Just another case of an incorrect CC.
You should be able to rely upon a CC, but this seems very abbreviated, and a follow-up question would certainly be recommended.

#32 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-27, 05:02

View Postpran, on 2018-July-27, 04:27, said:

Misinformation.
Just another case of an incorrect CC.
You should be able to rely upon a CC, but this seems very abbreviated, and a follow-up question would certainly be recommended.

An EBU CC has a very small box at the top "General Description of Bidding Methods". This is used for a very abbreviated description of the basic system. People do not write an essay in it. Further down the front page, which CY did not bother to look at, is "Other Aspects of System Which Opponents Should Note". This is where the weird stuff is described.

#33 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-July-27, 06:17

View PostStevenG, on 2018-July-27, 05:02, said:

An EBU CC has a very small box at the top "General Description of Bidding Methods". This is used for a very abbreviated description of the basic system. People do not write an essay in it. Further down the front page, which CY did not bother to look at, is "Other Aspects of System Which Opponents Should Note". This is where the weird stuff is described.

As usual they'd filed it under the bidding box and 4 other bits of paper and it was the older version of the CC without that box on the front. Also the 2/ bids are SPECIFICALLY what makes benji what it is, there is no variation, benji means EXACTLY one thing and this wasn't it, unlike the astro complications.

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-July-27, 14:54

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-27, 06:17, said:

As usual they'd filed it under the bidding box and 4 other bits of paper and it was the older version of the CC without that box on the front. Also the 2/ bids are SPECIFICALLY what makes benji what it is, there is no variation, benji means EXACTLY one thing and this wasn't it, unlike the astro complications.

"When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less." -- Humpty Dumpty
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-July-28, 09:35

View Postpran, on 2018-July-27, 04:27, said:

Yesterday in the Bruce 0-6000 LM Pairs, LHO (a junior champion) opened 2, which his partner alerted. I glanced over to the bidder's CC, and he nicely turned it around so I could read it easily. It just had the usual weak 2 stuff checked, although "Ogust" was crossed out on the line for diamonds.

I didn't say anything, nor ask for an explanation, but at the end of the auction my partner did ask. As I expected from the way the auction proceeded, they were playing Mexican 2, they'd just updated the CC incompletely. There was no damage, and I simply pointed out their mistake, which they were just as surprised about.

#36 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-July-28, 12:30

View Postbarmar, on 2018-July-28, 09:35, said:

Yesterday in the Bruce 0-6000 LM Pairs, LHO (a junior champion) opened 2, which his partner alerted. I glanced over to the bidder's CC, and he nicely turned it around so I could read it easily. It just had the usual weak 2 stuff checked, although "Ogust" was crossed out on the line for diamonds.

I didn't say anything, nor ask for an explanation, but at the end of the auction my partner did ask. As I expected from the way the auction proceeded, they were playing Mexican 2, they'd just updated the CC incompletely. There was no damage, and I simply pointed out their mistake, which they were just as surprised about.

I once got fined 1VP for having my footnotes misnumbered.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#37 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-July-30, 09:42

View PostVampyr, on 2018-July-28, 12:30, said:

Were you defending your thesis on bridge squeezes? :)

#38 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-July-30, 13:36

View PostVampyr, on 2018-July-28, 12:30, said:

I'd settle for my opponents being fined for having no CC :(

#39 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2018-July-30, 22:27

View Postbarmar, on 2018-July-30, 09:42, said:

Were you defending your thesis on bridge squeezes? :)

LOL just the footnotes on the convention card. I had added something so the footnotes were off by one; the opponents were not damaged, so it is a mystery why they appealed over this.

Not long after that, my partner bid based on a CC that had an entirely incorrect description of a bid. A 1VP fine would have meant our winning the event, but one was not imposed. I think that it is very important that the EBU and other NBOs establish standard automatic penalties for this kind of infraction.

#40 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-July-31, 07:43

I don't know that I agree with "standard automatic penalties", at least the automatic part. TDs should be giving consistent rulings, though. If a 1 VP penalty is appropriate in the one case, then it's appropriate in the other as well.
--------------------

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users