BBO Discussion Forums: Hand evaluation - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hand evaluation

Poll: Hand evaluation (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid...

1. 3H (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

2. 4H (35 votes [85.37%])

Percentage of vote: 85.37%

3. I would have overcalled 2H or 3H initially (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

4. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-27, 04:39

Nice easy one.

IMPs. Opps play 4cM weak NT

ahydra

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-27, 04:44

View Postahydra, on 2019-March-27, 04:39, said:

Nice easy one.

IMPs. Opps play 4cM weak NT

ahydra

Will bid 5 over 4
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-27, 04:59

Since we are vulnerable at IMPs, I expect that my partner has genuine values for this take-out double. I will bid 4. I would not compete further over 4.

If you changed both the method of scoring to MPs and the vulnerability, I would expect my partner to often be "pre-protecting" with shaded values. In these circumstances I would be content to bid 3.

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2019-March-27, 06:48

wtp 4H
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-27, 07:24

I assume p has applied any downgrade to their holdings being IN FRONT of the opening bidder. That means my 6 card suit and singleton are more than enough to bid game.
4h. A more interesting quandary might result if opps manage to bid 4s:)

#6 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-27, 09:09

I'd have overcalled 3H on my first turn, but I'm bidding 4 now.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-March-27, 09:31

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-March-27, 04:44, said:

Will bid 5 over 4

Competent opponents at imps do not wait for you to bid 4H when they have a hand that wants to save over 4H: they bid 4SD over the double (responder ought never to be saving: if anyone is bidding 4S it is opener).

If they did save over 4H, I'd be worried that they were walking the dog, but I'd need to know my customers.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-27, 09:43

View Postmikeh, on 2019-March-27, 09:31, said:

Competent opponents at imps do not wait for you to bid 4H when they have a hand that wants to save over 4H: they bid 4SD over the double (responder ought never to be saving: if anyone is bidding 4S it is opener).

If they did save over 4H, I'd be worried that they were walking the dog, but I'd need to know my customers.

thank you
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-27, 13:11

In an unopposed audition I would open a weak 2H and partner would bid 4 to make. It is probably on the edge given how the remaining HCP are divided but it is IMP. Even at MP many players will bid game I think.

#10 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-28, 00:01

Wow, a unanimous poll?

Call me a wimp (well, 14 people effectively have), but I bid only 3H, seeing as partner could have something like xx AJxx Axxx KJx when you can't even make 3H. I had evaluated the hand as worth 3.5, but since I wasn't allowed to write that down... ;) There's a strong argument for "rounding up" vul at IMPs, and any time partner has a singleton spade I should have good play for game.

As it happens, she had a rock-crushing x AJxx AKJ KQT9x... and passed :-(

ahydra

#11 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-28, 00:16

View Postahydra, on 2019-March-28, 00:01, said:

Wow, a unanimous poll?

Call me a wimp (well, 14 people effectively have), but I bid only 3H, seeing as partner could have something like xx AJxx Axxx KJx when you can't even make 3H. I had evaluated the hand as worth 3.5, but since I wasn't allowed to write that down... ;) There's a strong argument for "rounding up" vul at IMPs, and any time partner has a singleton spade I should have good play for game.

ahydra

Imps makes it easy. Change it to MPs and you may get some 3h bidders.

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-March-28, 03:27

Wow, a unanimous poll?

ahydra

You should play lebensohl in this seat and have the option of a "good" 3 so partner knows you don't have a purely competitive effort (although I don't mind bidding game opposite Q to 6 and out with that hand)

#13 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-28, 06:05

Four hearts. Too much playing strength to bid only three.

#14 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2019-March-28, 07:34

Wow, a unanimous poll?

ahydra

I do think it's a clear 4H, but even so partners pass is far worse. even with a yarborough xxx T9xxx xx xxx for example game has excellent chances. I would give your 3H bid 4/10 and your partners pass 0/10 lol
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#15 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-28, 13:26

Here's another advertisement for my favorite convention -- good-bad 2NT. If you play that, then 2NT either shows a game force hand or a hand that just wants to compete. Partner will generally bid 3C, and then you can pass with clubs and a minimum competitive hand, bid 3D or 3H to show a minimum competitive hand with those suits, or bid something else to show the game force.

An immediate 3x bid shows an invitational hand. This one doesn't quite qualify on brute strength (the Qs is a waste on offense), but the 6-bagger and the distribution make it worth a 3h call. Partner then has an easy raise to game.

Without good-bad, you are stuck. If you bid 3H, partner may well pass when you have a cold game. If you bid 4H, you may go set 1 (maybe even 2) when the opponents cannot make 3S.

Cheers,
Mike

#16 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-March-28, 13:42

View Posteagles123, on 2019-March-28, 07:34, said:

I do think it's a clear 4H, but even so partners pass is far worse. even with a yarborough xxx T9xxx xx xxx for example game has excellent chances. I would give your 3H bid 4/10 and your partners pass 0/10 lol

I think 0 for the pass is generous by at least 5 points :)

#17 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-March-29, 01:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-March-28, 13:42, said:

I think 0 for the pass is generous by at least 5 points :)

SIRS, we play LEBENSOHL just as we play over opponents 2H/S weak openings.I personally agree with Cyberyeti that 3H does show values.This is exactly where we wish to differ also.While applying Lebensohl we take into account the following(1) USEFUL HCP.(2) The length and the quality of the suit we are going to bid. AND (3)The NUMBER OF LOSERS in the hand. This hand contains only 5 USEFUL HCP. The suit quality says only 1 loser as it is a 6 card suit headed by KQ.(as a matter of fact we don't assume that doubler will have the HA and xxx .).The suit length unilaterally is very good.There are 4 losers in the minors and 2 losers in Spades(this is where we assume that doubler can have xx or a likely x only in S) The total hence works out to 7.The doubler has to have a maximum of 7 losers. Hence 18 minus 14(the total number of losers in our side ) =4.So 4 Heats is what we bid.1S opener is the doublers LHO and we will not double with the hand given by some eg xx AJxx Axxx KJx. which has 8 losers.Change the club holding to KQx and we will.4H MAY go down one in this case.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users