BBO Discussion Forums: Partial Howell - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partial Howell

#1 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Statistics , Quantitative Research, Bridge, Reading Crime stories & thrillers

Posted 2020-May-14, 22:30

First I again want to thank BBO that we now have the opportunity to host Howells.

What I do not understand is the meaning of "partial" Howells. At the beginning I thought it´s simply playing a certain number of opps instead of all of them. e.g. given 6 tables +rounds8+ means 8 instead of 11 rounds will be played. But I was told I´m wrong.

I learned that it means (again given 6 tables) the first 8 rounds are Howells and the remaining 3 are Mitchell.

I´m sorry, I don´t get that. The other way round I would understand but given I played against 8 of 11 opps and we return to Mitchell the last three rounds I´m e.g fixed to N-S and all my opps have to be O-W. I can´t figure out how this works for all remaining pairs.

I would understand if it´s the other way round. The first X rounds as Mitchell and the remaining rounds as Howell but I can´t see the advantage compared to a complete Howell.

I confess I´m a bit confused.

All the best and thanks for clarification

Michael (biometrics)

#2 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-15, 08:16

Posted by McBruce:
In the virtual club games they have added options to avoid these. +howell+ and +roundsx+ creates a one-winner game with one stationary pair in each section (max 15 tables) while the rest rotate from 2NS to highest NS then highest EW down to 1EW, then 2NS, with the second command telling the system how many rounds to play. They've also given us a +hm18+ command for 18-board games that specifies a one-winner movement with 3-5 tables and a suitable number of boards per round: the only one with a revenge round is the 3-table game. If you stick to Mitchells you need enough tables to avoid revenge rounds, but the Howell option works well to avoid these until you have enough entries to delete the command.

#3 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Statistics , Quantitative Research, Bridge, Reading Crime stories & thrillers

Posted 2020-May-15, 10:40

View Postcrazy4hoop, on 2020-May-15, 08:16, said:

Posted by McBruce:
In the virtual club games they have added options to avoid these. +howell+ and +roundsx+ creates a one-winner game with one stationary pair in each section (max 15 tables) while the rest rotate from 2NS to highest NS then highest EW down to 1EW, then 2NS, with the second command telling the system how many rounds to play. They've also given us a +hm18+ command for 18-board games that specifies a one-winner movement with 3-5 tables and a suitable number of boards per round: the only one with a revenge round is the 3-table game. If you stick to Mitchells you need enough tables to avoid revenge rounds, but the Howell option works well to avoid these until you have enough entries to delete the command.

okay, hat sounds a bit different from what was told to me. i will test in 20 minutes ;o))

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-15, 11:09

View Postbiometrics, on 2020-May-15, 10:40, said:

okay, that sounds a bit different from what was told to me. i will test in 20 minutes ;o))

Please report here how it went.

#5 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-May-15, 13:46

View Postpescetom, on 2020-May-15, 11:09, said:

Please report here how it went.

WONDERFUL. Worked perfectly.

5 tables 8 rounds a 3 boards. I´m completely happy. THANKS to the masterminds behind BBO.

Code: +howell+ +rounds8+

Michael

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-May-15, 15:50

View Postbiometrics, on 2020-May-15, 13:46, said:

WONDERFUL. Worked perfectly.
5 tables 8 rounds a 3 boards. I´m completely happy. THANKS to the masterminds behind BBO.
Code: +howell+ +rounds8+

Thanks.
Just to make sure I have my head around all this, if you had set the number of boards to 24 and did not add +rounds8+, with 5 tables it would have played 9 rounds of 3 boards (27 being closer to 24 than 18) however many boards per round was set, correct?

#7 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-May-15, 22:52

Yes I think it would have been like you described. Without specifying rounds you play a full Howell which equals 2*(number of tables) - 1.

As I entered 24 boards I think we would have played 3 boards per round. Entering 21 Boards should have led to 2 boards per round.

Michael

#8 User is offline   niftyw 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-16, 17:11

Can the use of the +Howell+ tag work where there are more than five tables and if so what is the maximum.
Niftyw

#9 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-May-17, 00:21

You do find details here.

https://blog.bridgeb...small-tourneys/

But as I said: +roundsX+ fixes the number of rounds to X

Michael

#10 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-May-17, 00:22

View Postniftyw, on 2020-May-16, 17:11, said:

Can the use of the +Howell+ tag work where there are more than five tables and if so what is the maximum.
Niftyw

ATTENTION: +howell+ not +Howell+

AND: you have to have permission to use it (!!)

For details see link above

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-May-17, 10:31

I tried +break4+ and +bduration=10+ today and they worked correctly too.
Quite simply nothing happened at the end of round 4 for ten minutes.
It would be nice to add some message like "Tourney paused at end of round 4 will resume in 10 minutes (at 15:28)".
But still good work and thanks.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-19, 16:45

View Postbiometrics, on 2020-May-17, 00:22, said:

ATTENTION: +howell+ not +Howell+

AND: you have to have permission to use it (!!)

For details see link above

I think when we made this change we also changed all these options to be case-insensitive.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users