• You cannot reply to this topic

How do you bid the grand?

#21 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-April-01, 21:24

View Postnige1, on 2022-March-26, 11:22, said:

Jasmine

How can you possibly justify bidding a grand slam auction without checking on aces and kings with Gerber or Blackwood???

#22 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-April-01, 21:45

Ah, why check for A and K when you hold all 8 of them.
1 here is RKC
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-April-01, 21:52

View PostGilithin, on 2022-April-01, 18:30, said:

According to your auction, Opener only bids 4 with 3+ spades. So that would appear not to be an option. You do not say what Opener bids with only 2 spades but I would assume it is 4NT. As per the previous post, this just seems like a really bad idea. But perhaps your previous descriptions were just incorrect. Or, as every DD bidder knows, "When I use a bid it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

Yes you take it to 4NT. Assuming responder is not bidding on nothing (a pass would be more appropriate) 28hcp plus whatever responder has should easily be enough for 4NT

#24 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-02, 10:40

View Postmw64ahw, on 2022-April-01, 21:52, said:

Yes you take it to 4NT. Assuming responder is not bidding on nothing (a pass would be more appropriate) 28hcp plus whatever responder has should easily be enough for 4NT

So you pass on the aforementioned Yarborough with 6 spades? Now on the original opening hand you take 8 tricks in 3NT while the field is making 4+1. Congratulations! Passing on a hand valuable in spades but useless in NT is also a really bad idea.

#25 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-02, 12:43

View PostGilithin, on 2022-April-02, 10:40, said:

So you pass on the aforementioned Yarborough with 6 spades? Now on the original opening hand you take 8 tricks in 3NT while the field is making 4+1. Congratulations! Passing on a hand valuable in spades but useless in NT is also a really bad idea.

I'm not sure how the field makes 4+1 when ops have the top 5. Also while I may pass with 5, 6 is a different matter.
On average you don't expect the extreme hand you are suggesting with opener holding 28hcp

#26 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-02, 16:34

View Postjillybean, on 2022-April-01, 21:45, said:

Ah, why check for A and K when you hold all 8 of them.
1 here is RKC

You always check for aces and kings on BBO because it is the law.

#27 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-03, 07:35

View Postmw64ahw, on 2022-April-02, 12:43, said:

I'm not sure how the field makes 4+1 when ops have the top 5. Also while I may pass with 5, 6 is a different matter.
On average you don't expect the extreme hand you are suggesting with opener holding 28hcp

You are proving the point of choosing Responder's bids based on Opener's hand. I specifically wrote the original opening hand for the section you are quoting, so Opener holds AKx. Spades break 3-1 and without an entry to Dummy 3NT only gets the 8 tricks you started with. Meanwhile Dummy is worth 3 tricks to the rest of the field playing in 4. Finally, a Yarborough with a 6 card major is not such an unlikely hand opposite 28+ balanced.

#28 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-03, 07:56

View PostGilithin, on 2022-April-03, 07:35, said:

You are proving the point of choosing Responder's bids based on Opener's hand. I specifically wrote the original opening hand for the section you are quoting, so Opener holds AKx. Spades break 3-1 and without an entry to Dummy 3NT only gets the 8 tricks you started with. Meanwhile Dummy is worth 3 tricks to the rest of the field playing in 4. Finally, a Yarborough with a 6 card major is not such an unlikely hand opposite 28+ balanced.

I think I'd need to run the probability distributions to get a good idea of what is optimal. Taking the other extreme, your example hand can go down 2 when spades break 5-0 whereas 3NT will only go down 1. And a Yarborough is still a low probability event opposite 28hcp

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users