Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balanced with a diamonds monster

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-May-27, 15:38

From the national MP pairs tournament in Alba on Sunday, a (finally) sunny day of late Spring.

MP

Most of 52 NS pairs ended up in 6 or (as you did) the more lucrative 6NT.
West leads T.
Your plan (and would it have been different in the Teams Tournament of day before)?

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-27, 18:23

I assume East has all of the diamonds :) I'll win the Ace and take an immediate club finesse. If it wins, we have at least 12 tricks whatever happens. If it loses, then we can still make on the 0-4 split with a squeeze if clubs break and East holds the spade King.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-28, 09:01

Yes that's more or less it :)

On first trick I think one would do well to drop the K under the A, although it turns out not to be necessary on your line of play.
I chose to run a diamond to the Ace first, figuring that diamonds will run 90% and reveal more about opponent's hands than the clubs would.
Of course West showed out and I didn't have the presence of mind to cross to dummy with hearts and run the clubs instead :angry:

As it turned out, East did have the K and would have been squeezed into conceding 13 tricks.
Despite many famous names, not one of 50 tables found the overtrick even by accident, with most in 6 making or 6NT making on a spades lead.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-May-28, 14:17

Test
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users